Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2345747 times)

belfastsaff

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #17460 on: January 07, 2019, 11:47:12 AM »
No doubt there will b one or two but cant think of any. Seems to b rife in SW

Who is there is the SW?
off the top of my head Cargin Creggan pg1 aghagallon glenavy

Cargin and creggan paying around the 20k figure to  :-X

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17461 on: January 07, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »

Who is there is the SW?

You left out St Endas  ;) 

depending on how wel they do that will be a Belfast club or a SW one  :o
How many players transferred between the Belfast clubs. Always seemed to b rile in Belfast.  Not as much in the SW

Belfast and Dublin would be more open to this type of stuff to be fair.. would be down to mainly (in my view) fall outs between players committiee men and so on, chasing medals would be lower end stuff TBH.. when you have as many clubs in Belfast within a small area that gives people choice unfortunately, the sticking to one club may not suit everyone, parish clubs are completly different and most clubs in Belfast would love that but not many people always live within thier parish as such, if they do then after they get married they move out of that area in most cases..

I lived less than half a mile from Naomh Gall, but half a mile the other direction was the lower Falls clubs and I passed O'donnell's and Corrigan before hitting the club.. In Belfast it's generally made up of kids that went to a certain primary school (St Galls, St Finians for instance) and that paved the way to join a club. the other and biggest factor was always being associated with a family that was in the club and that was the natural progression and would be the main factor to our recruitment.
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17462 on: January 07, 2019, 12:58:31 PM »

Who is there is the SW?

How many players transferred between the Belfast clubs. Always seemed to b rile in Belfast.  Not as much in the SW

Belfast and Dublin would be more open to this type of stuff to be fair.. would be down to mainly (in my view) fall outs between players committiee men and so on, chasing medals would be lower end stuff TBH.. when you have as many clubs in Belfast within a small area that gives people choice unfortunately, the sticking to one club may not suit everyone, parish clubs are completly different and most clubs in Belfast would love that but not many people always live within thier parish as such, if they do then after they get married they move out of that area in most cases..

I lived less than half a mile from Naomh Gall, but half a mile the other direction was the lower Falls clubs and I passed O'donnell's and Corrigan before hitting the club.. In Belfast it's generally made up of kids that went to a certain primary school (St Galls, St Finians for instance) and that paved the way to join a club. the other and biggest factor was always being associated with a family that was in the club and that was the natural progression and would be the main factor to our recruitment.

Howd Mickey Pollock end up at St Galls?

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #17463 on: January 07, 2019, 01:32:55 PM »

Who is there is the SW?

I've no idea. Like asking how did Magill end up leaving Tir Na Og.. Like i said in my post there are various factors.. take one
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17464 on: January 07, 2019, 02:37:46 PM »

Who is there is the SW?

I've no idea. Like asking how did Magill end up leaving Tir Na Og.. Like i said in my post there are various factors.. take one

Relax kid. Stop taking it so personal.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #17465 on: January 07, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »

Who is there is the SW?

I didnt as I'm not MP.. I gave factors but you thought you'd try and be funny  :D

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #17466 on: January 07, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »
Its inevitable that some clubs, due to a lack of experience/expertise, will have to get someone in to help their club.

But we don't want to turn the club game into the county game - teams with the most money - Dublin - are winning all round them with pockets full of money to keep it going....

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17467 on: January 07, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »

Who is there is the SW?

I didnt as I'm not MP.. I gave factors but you thought you'd try and be funny  :D

I wasn't trying to be funny! I was asking a simple question.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #17468 on: January 07, 2019, 04:27:10 PM »
Its inevitable that some clubs, due to a lack of experience/expertise, will have to get someone in to help their club.

But we don't want to turn the club game into the county game - teams with the most money - Dublin - are winning all round them with pockets full of money to keep it going....

Having a bit of luck, decent structures and committed players will take you a lot further (at club level) than having a few pound.. Davitts have more money than most clubs for years in Belfast..

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #17469 on: January 07, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »

Having a bit of luck, decent structures and committed players will take you a lot further (at club level) than having a few pound.. Davitts have more money than most clubs for years in Belfast..

agree with this. its all about having a lot of luck with your youth in terms of good players, they all stay together right up through and the coaching they get along the way.

you can throw all the money in the world at a senior team and coaches etc but they wont ever play like Dublin if the players aint there.
hurl like f**k boi!

Gold

• talk is cheap but it takes money to buy hot dogs..
    • View Profile
« Reply #17470 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:07 PM »
Madness that our County team were EIGHTEEN to 2 down at half time yesterday and  no one on here appears to give a f**k. Bitching about transfers

Literally just accepting being worse than shite and not laying a glove on the opposition.

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #17471 on: January 07, 2019, 11:10:51 PM »
Madness that our County team were EIGHTEEN to 2 down at half time yesterday and  no one on here appears to give a f**k. Bitching about transfers

Literally just accepting being worse than shite and not laying a glove on the opposition.

With the squad available was that as good as we can be? The score line at home against a mediocre team was crap.. can be no positives from that at all..

With the pool of players that have made themselves available we are well below standard unfortunately.. what else can be said?

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #17472 on: January 07, 2019, 11:26:52 PM »

Was thinking that myself. Cant understand how a goalkeeper cant be found.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17473 on: January 08, 2019, 12:45:07 AM »
Second rate performances are accepted because weve come to expect nothing else. Its the reality of where we are.

Heard that Mr Donnelly was unpopular with some PG1 players due to outside interference.... or maybe inside interference depending on what way you look at it.

Caesar

• View Profile
« Reply #17474 on: January 08, 2019, 08:50:51 AM »
Fair play to the county lads who have made themselves available but the truth is most of them would not be playing for most other county teams. That's the reality of where we are. I feel sorry for the management who can only work with what they've got. Until we change the mindset throughout the county so that all club players want to play for the county team, we are not going to improve.

If the county were to break the bank and bring in a big name manager for a year or two, would that help? The right person might be able to get better commitment from a few of the missing players which in turn would make it a more attractive prospect for the rest of the players to commit to.

Having said that I would question the amount of genuine county quality players there are in the county who have not committed. There's not as many as some people like to believe.

In reply to the above post, I heard Donnelly was very popular with the Pg1 players and they wanted him back. They have a good young squad and there is no doubt they made a lot of progress under him.