Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 12, 2015, 02:34:40 PM
The 3 County Football  finals this weekend, what are thoughts on the games?

I'm going for a Cargin, Glenavy & Glenravel treble.

i would go Cargin, Dunloy and Glenravel. would have fancied Davitts in the JFC but 2pm on a Saturday might no be the best time for them. A few Irish League players who have contracts, its hard on them too, lads who have played all year and are going to miss out on the final. I don't think either team would have complained playing it on sunday before the senior game

Gizzy15

Quote from: themac_23 on October 12, 2015, 04:31:07 PM

i would go Cargin, Dunloy and Glenravel. would have fancied Davitts in the JFC but 2pm on a Saturday might no be the best time for them. A few Irish League players who have contracts, its hard on them too, lads who have played all year and are going to miss out on the final. I don't think either team would have complained playing it on sunday before the senior game

such is life. If a county final isnt the most important thing to you in that given year let alone that weekend then so be it. Fixtures cant keep getting changed for clubs with soccer players. They have got important championship fixtures changed in the past (including against my own team) and i dont think it is sustainable. Where would it end?

themac_23

Quote from: Gizzy15 on October 12, 2015, 07:03:26 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on October 12, 2015, 04:31:07 PM

such is life. If a county final isnt the most important thing to you in that given year let alone that weekend then so be it. Fixtures cant keep getting changed for clubs with soccer players. They have got important championship fixtures changed in the past (including against my own team) and i dont think it is sustainable. Where would it end?
True i agree we shouldn't move our fixtures for soccer. My gripe is that GAA is traditionally played on a sunday in this county. Davitts are a Junior club and i think that Junior clubs should be helped to get their best players out, JFC teams generally don't have the luxury of massive squads. What i would disagree with is that you make it sound simple that the players have a choice to make, they don't they have contracts with Irish League clubs they cant pick and choose. I think if you asked the players given the chance they would def pick their Davitts game but they don't have a choice.

paddyjohn

When teams have been playing Wednesday & Sunday all year, I don't think it's fair to throw a game in on a Saturday especially a county final. Did Davitts not play the first round on Thursday? I know from my own club that the amount of lads we have working on a Saturday makes up a chunk of the starting team.

I'm of the opinion that all county finals where possible should be played on a Sunday and I'm not taking the soccer debate into it at all.

theskull1

They'd be in quare nick to play a county championship final after playing 90 minutes the day before
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

themac_23

Quote from: theskull1 on October 12, 2015, 09:58:37 PM
They'd be in quare nick to play a county championship final after playing 90 minutes the day before

I don't think thats the point though they should have the chance. Heres an example Sean O'Neill in my opinion is one of the best players in the county at what he does. it just so happens he's also one of the best soccer goalkeepers in the country and makes a few quid in doing so. I feel for players like this who would give anything to play for their club in a county final but their job comes first. Also its unfair on their team mates who have worked hard to get there and will be without some of their best players for the biggest game of the season. Some times i wonder do the county board do these things on purpose, i know we say not to accommodate other sports but esp at junior level i think we should try and help clubs not hinder them, these players are GAA members and at the end of the day the co board are there to facilitate the GAA clubs and their members so sometimes maybe common sense should prevail, i don't mean now changing the game but not fixing it at that time in the first place and do the clubs a favour discreetly.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: themac_23 on October 12, 2015, 11:20:17 PM

I don't think thats the point though they should have the chance. Heres an example Sean O'Neill in my opinion is one of the best players in the county at what he does. it just so happens he's also one of the best soccer goalkeepers in the country and makes a few quid in doing so. I feel for players like this who would give anything to play for their club in a county final but their job comes first. Also its unfair on their team mates who have worked hard to get there and will be without some of their best players for the biggest game of the season. Some times i wonder do the county board do these things on purpose, i know we say not to accommodate other sports but esp at junior level i think we should try and help clubs not hinder them, these players are GAA members and at the end of the day the co board are there to facilitate the GAA clubs and their members so sometimes maybe common sense should prevail, i don't mean now changing the game but not fixing it at that time in the first place and do the clubs a favour discreetly.

Is that his full time job?? Or is it a part time extra job were he makes a few quid?? We all have to make sacrifices in life and if I worked for the fire service and was on call I'd have to make that decision... But if it wasn't my main job, I know where id be... Lining out with my club/family/friends.... Its a very easy choice for me.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Sean O Neill maybe not the best example....because he's a goalie so won't have too much legwork to do. Absolutely great gaelic player too...county standard for sure, but he will be ok to play for Davits on Sunday and will take some watching.

Liam Boyce on the other hand. What's the story with him.

Gizzy15

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2015, 11:40:37 PM

Is that his full time job?? Or is it a part time extra job were he makes a few quid?? We all have to make sacrifices in life and if I worked for the fire service and was on call I'd have to make that decision... But if it wasn't my main job, I know where id be... Lining out with my club/family/friends.... Its a very easy choice for me.

Totally agree,

themac_23

Quote from: Gizzy15 on October 13, 2015, 08:38:04 AM

Totally agree,

i disagree, i don't think you can compare playing soccer in the irish league to any other part time job as they are getting paid to do something they enjoy and would probably be doing at a lower level if they weren't IL standard anyway. The thing being this is a small country and could you imagine the uproar if one of these players said they were injured and couldn't play soccer on saturday then lined out for their club? the lads would be hung out to dry, not fair on them.

Kickham csc

Quote from: themac_23 on October 13, 2015, 09:54:27 AM

Totally agree,

i disagree, i don't think you can compare playing soccer in the irish league to any other part time job as they are getting paid to do something they enjoy and would probably be doing at a lower level if they weren't IL standard anyway. The thing being this is a small country and could you imagine the uproar if one of these players said they were injured and couldn't play soccer on saturday then lined out for their club? the lads would be hung out to dry, not fair on them.

Also not fair on other clubs with teams who are fully committed to GAA.
The GAA has a responsibility to the GAA.

It is hard enough for Antrim GAA to factor in hurling and football and Ulster GAA commitments when arranging fixtures, not you want them to factor in Saturday soccer!!!!

The players have a choice, and no one is demonizing them for playing soccer, but you can expect them to be given preference for fixture dates because of clashes.

Would NI soccer consider rearranging the fixture?? Answer No. Why do you expect Antrim GAA to?

themac_23

Quote from: Kickham csc on October 13, 2015, 10:35:04 AM
Quote from: themac_23 on October 13, 2015, 09:54:27 AM

Totally agree,

Also not fair on other clubs with teams who are fully committed to GAA.
The GAA has a responsibility to the GAA.

It is hard enough for Antrim GAA to factor in hurling and football and Ulster GAA commitments when arranging fixtures, not you want them to factor in Saturday soccer!!!!

The players have a choice, and no one is demonizing them for playing soccer, but you can expect them to be given preference for fixture dates because of clashes.

Would NI soccer consider rearranging the fixture?? Answer No. Why do you expect Antrim GAA to?

If you read my post i specifically said i am not suggesting they rearrange the fixture to accommodate soccer, i said maybe they should take it in to consideration when sitting down to arrange the final, especially at junior level where the pool of players aren't as big. Factor in that GAA is usually played on a wed or sunday i think it is reasonable at the start of the year a player thinks he can juggle playing both.

You're right the GAA has a responsibility to the GAA and its members, i don't think by playing soccer at the highest level possible in this country makes you any less of a GAA member, in fact the opposite these are players who are playing at the top soccer level in this country and making a few pound doing so yet still commit to play for their GAA club in Div 3 Antrim i think these players should be encouraged not left with a bitter taste at the business end of the season.

Peileadoir

All this nonsensical talk about soccer players being available on a Saturday or not. Either they choose to play for their club or they don't and choose to play another sport. It's their decision. themac-23 twice referred to Sean O'Neill as being ones of the best soccer players in the country. What country are we taking about here? Are we talking about the Irish League because if we are, surely you are referring to part of a country ie six counties of Ireland. One thing I have noticed in recent years is the number of soccer players who refer to teams in the Irish League as being the 'best team in the country' or the being the best league ' in the country' or as Liam Boyce did last week when he referred to the six counties as being 'the whole country'. Really? Are these people just stupid? I'm sure he wasn't taught that in St. Mary's CBS. Money talks I guess. Some of these guys must need geography lessons  and stop referring to the six counties as a country. It is part of Ireland. As our Rugby players what country they play for?

themac_23

Quote from: Peileadoir on October 13, 2015, 11:04:39 AM
All this nonsensical talk about soccer players being available on a Saturday or not. Either they choose to play for their club or they don't and choose to play another sport. It's their decision. themac-23 twice referred to Sean O'Neill as being ones of the best soccer players in the country. What country are we taking about here? Are we talking about the Irish League because if we are, surely you are referring to part of a country ie six counties of Ireland. One thing I have noticed in recent years is the number of soccer players who refer to teams in the Irish League as being the 'best team in the country' or the being the best league ' in the country' or as Liam Boyce did last week when he referred to the six counties as being 'the whole country'. Really? Are these people just stupid? I'm sure he wasn't taught that in St. Mary's CBS. Money talks I guess. Some of these guys must need geography lessons  and stop referring to the six counties as a country. It is part of Ireland. As our Rugby players what country they play for?

i think you know what I'm referring to when i say the country, I'm not talking about the whole country but ok lets talk the whole of Ireland, i don't watch much LOI to be fair but id say Oneill would be one of the top keepers there too but its kind of missing my point. a quick look on hoganstand throws this up: http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=245513 so is it acceptable to change fixtures to try get more paying patrons through the gates because they might sit at home watching rugby but not acceptable to arrange a fixture to have the best players available and make a better game?

Peileadoir

Well if you are referring to the Irish League please state that, otherwise you are legitimising the six-county state as do all uneducated six-county soccer internationals when they refer to this part of Ireland as 'the country'. Personally speaking I would not fix a county final for a Saturday, not because it clashes with soccer but because a lot of people work on a Saturday and Sunday is the traditional GAA day. Saturday evening as a compromise would probably draw a bigger crowd as evening throw-ins tend to prove popular.