The Estate

Started by Square Ball, January 19, 2012, 07:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Aye I'm sure a job that involves young people killing themselves is a right doss! Some idiots on this thread!

laceer

Anyone who thinks a social worker has a handy job is deluded.
There's been a series on BBC recently following childrens' social workers around - would break your heart just watching it, never mind dealing with it every day.

haranguerer

Shes not a social worker. Social work is definitely tough going, childrens social work most of all.

She seems like a nice girl, and is doing admirable work, but it still seems like a handy number, made better by the fact that she can feel her work is contributing in some way to a better society. Of course you would need to be able to switch off at the end of the day, thats true of any job, and while some may be more easy to switch off from than others, thats not relevant to how handy they are.

laceer

I take it she's a support worker of some kind then?
Even so, dealing with other people's problems all day, some of whom no more want or deserve to be helped, would be far from handy.

NAG1

Spare me the liberal BS on this please.

These drunks are a drain on our society and instead of letting them get on with their 'life choices' what do we do, give them a free flat and give them a wee buddy who calls round to the see them every week wee chat and pat on the back oh yeah and collects money to pay their fines. What else oh yeah drives them to the job centre so they can sign up for DLA.

Is there something wrong with this picture? Most people on here working their asses off to earn a living for their family and what do we end up paying for? These drunks to have somewhere to live, to have drinking money and to have a support worker to tell them to calm down when they are going off the rails a bit.

You may think I am being very harsh but I am sick sore and tired of watching people like this take the hand out of me and my colleagues, with this sense of entitlement that we some how will pay for them to do what they like for the rest of their lives.

Please some one tell me where I am wrong?

Christmas Lights

Quote from: NAG1 on February 17, 2012, 02:43:42 PM

These drunks are a drain on our society and instead of letting them get on with their 'life choices' what do we do, give them a free flat and give them a wee buddy who calls round to the see them every week wee chat and pat on the back oh yeah and collects money to pay their fines. What else oh yeah drives them to the job centre so they can sign up for DLA.

Is there something wrong with this picture? Most people on here working their asses off to earn a living for their family and what do we end up paying for? These drunks to have somewhere to live, to have drinking money and to have a support worker to tell them to calm down when they are going off the rails a bit.

You may think I am being very harsh but I am sick sore and tired of watching people like this take the hand out of me and my colleagues, with this sense of entitlement that we some how will pay for them to do what they like for the rest of their lives.

I bet you where happy that one of these "drains on society" happened to have drowned during the making of the show?
One less sponger eh?

HiMucker

Il give it a go.  Earlier in this thread I was critical of some of the benefit schemes.  However alcholism is completely different.  I wouldnt at all agree with the benefit towards their drinking money, but they need all the help they can get in battling their ILLNESS.  A good society is one that looks after its weak and vunerable.  Alcholism is a condition, an heriditary condition at times, and I would go as far to say it is one that affects every family.  I dont think we can just cast these people aside, and say "let them deal with their live choices".  You wouldnt do that to a cancer suffer now would you?  It is most definetly an area that needs more help not less.  However I would reiterate that giving them an allowance to buy drink does not help at all.

There was a documentary I seen a while back.  It was a about a troop of monkey that lived near a tourist spot in India.  The monkeys would come and do a bit of "mine sweeping", ldrinking lefover drink and that.  Researchers studied their behaviour, and what they found was that some monkeys took a wee drink, some took alot and staggered back to the trees, some got absoultely magnered occasionally, some got plastered on a regulary basis and some didnt touch a drop at all.  Over time they found that percentages of each group, ie: social drinkers, alcholics and pioneers was nearly identical to the human population.  I guess some monkeys just make poor life choices!

laceer

Dry your eyes
I said a social/support worker didn't have a handy job

Christmas Lights

Quote from: HiMucker on February 17, 2012, 03:10:13 PM
There was a documentary I seen a while back.  It was a about a troop of monkey that lived near a tourist spot in India.  The monkeys would come and do a bit of "mine sweeping", ldrinking lefover drink and that.  Researchers studied their behaviour, and what they found was that some monkeys took a wee drink, some took alot and staggered back to the trees, some got absoultely magnered occasionally, some got plastered on a regulary basis and some didnt touch a drop at all.  Over time they found that percentages of each group, ie: social drinkers, alcholics and pioneers was nearly identical to the human population.  I guess some monkeys just make poor life choices!

So much win in that post  :D :D
Monkeys drinking  :D LOL

HiMucker

Quote from: Christmas Lights on February 17, 2012, 03:14:48 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on February 17, 2012, 03:10:13 PM

So much win in that post  :D :D
Monkeys drinking  :D LOL
Here the spell check was nt working and my poof reader is on his lunch :)  That was deliberate by the way!

Maguire01

If the support worker manages to help one or two alcoholics get on the straight and narrow, then she's doing a very valuable job. I was surprised that she visits these men in their homes on her own. Is that normal? It seems like a very vulnerable position for a young woman to be in.

I'm all for giving these people as much support as possible. I can't understand however, why they qualify for DLA rather than just the basic unemployment benefit. Surely this just gives them cash to buy alcohol, thereby perpetuating the problem(?) Is there no better way this money can be used to benefit these people, without giving them cash?

I don't know why people are getting so het up about the money given to people with drink problems from an economic point of view as they spend it all on booze which a lot goes directly back to the government in taxes and local on and off trade businesses. I would be more concerned from a health perspective in terms of having more income they are able to consume more alcohol and cause more harm to themselves (and potentially others).
O'Neills Therapist

fitzroyalty

What f**king planet do you live on? Do you honestly think people just wake up one morning and decide they're going to drink for the rest of their lives?

As someone who has seen the devestating effects alcoholism has on a person and their family I am more than happy to see these people get all the support they can. You branding it as a drain on society is pathetic.

haranguerer

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 17, 2012, 04:19:10 PM
As someone who has seen the devestating effects alcoholism has on a person and their family I am more than happy to see these people get all the support they can. You branding it as a drain on society is pathetic.

Are you saying its not a drain on society? It is an emotive issue; I dont agree that alcoholics etc should be cast to the wind, but nags viewpoint is certainly understandable. No matter what anyone says too, while many may have found themselves on a downward spiral for whatever reason, theres also a fair few alcos who have noone to blame but themselves. None of them should be on DLA either.

Its all getting off the topic though - she has a wild handy job. Personally I think theres f**k all chance of her ever getting anyone off the drink, it actually seems like her visits are probably another reason for most of them to keep drinking, but sure its keeping them happy and keeping her in work, so let her plough on

the waffler

did ya see that **** that started the band, i the wan that cant get a job for 10 years useless bastard no intention of work make ya sick take the son to the bru ta get another slice o my tax any workin man that was selfemployed and has went outta work would get f**k all but these hoors that have never done anything get the fukin works they have all the big tvs cars and the works his wife earned 150 a week the c***ts need gased