The Estate

Started by Square Ball, January 19, 2012, 07:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on February 03, 2012, 01:40:55 PM
Quote from: Ulick on February 03, 2012, 01:07:36 PM
Quote from: clarshack on February 03, 2012, 11:48:48 AM

Quote from: screenmachine on January 31, 2012, 11:12:55 AM
In my opinion, anyone who is on benefits and isn't genuinely ill should be out picking rubbish of the street, cleaning grafitti, tidying flower beds, filling in pot holes, etc. to earn their benefits.  If they don't do it, they don't get paid...Simples...

would agree 100% with that

Catch yourselves on, both of you.

We are having three people into our work that have been on the dole (long term I think), they will be here for 26 weeks. I take it this has been thrust upon them by the Social Security Agency.
About the same level of effort as on the bru then  :-*

Maguire01

Quote from: Minder on January 31, 2012, 12:17:17 PM
There was a marked difference in the couple that both worked and owned their house, he was getting £250 a week working in a warehouse so after paying mortgage etc they probably had less money in their pocket than the wasters on the estate yet their house wasn't like some squat.
Agreed. Although I can't understand why anyone would buy a house in a place like that.

HiMucker

In my opinion, anyone who is on benefits and isn't genuinely ill should be out picking rubbish of the street, cleaning grafitti, tidying flower beds, filling in pot holes, etc. to earn their benefits.  If they don't do it, they don't get paid...Simples...

Do you think that there is anything wrong with the current benefit system?  If so, what changes would you make and why?

Ulick

We are having three people into our work that have been on the dole (long term I think), they will be here for 26 weeks. I take it this has been thrust upon them by the Social Security Agency.

I've no problem with meaningful work placement but the notion that you would make everyone on the dole go out and pick up litter is just ridiculous. Illdecide for example, a qualified civil engineer, was made redundant last year, are we suggesting he should have been made to go out and clean grafitti rather than prepare himself for finding other work?

Franko

I think that's exactly what he should do. After a certain length of time (approx 1 year I'd guess) of claiming benefits I'd contend that he's not trying to get another job.  It doesn't have to be as a civil engineer after all. If he needed time to 'prepare' himself for another job he could surely have managed it in that time.

HiMucker

Quote from: Ulick on February 03, 2012, 02:11:26 PM

I've no problem with meaningful work placement but the notion that you would make everyone on the dole go out and pick up litter is just ridiculous. Illdecide for example, a qualified civil engineer, was made redundant last year, are we suggesting he should have been made to go out and clean grafitti rather than prepare himself for finding other work?
Good point.  Doing that would be ridiculous.  Benefits should be used for such persons when they need it.  I think that is what a good benefits system is about.  However picking up litter or cleaning graffiti is agood suggestion, for the long term unemployed (i dont know say five years or so) or people who have never worked a day in their lives.  You always have some people milking the system, but our society is at epidemic proportions and it is far beyond a joke, its a disgrace.  And the politicians should have the balls to call a spade a spade, however with expenses scandal they are up to their necks in the milking culture as it is.

Minder

Quote from: Franko on February 03, 2012, 02:18:08 PM
I think that's exactly what he should do. After a certain length of time (approx 1 year I'd guess) of claiming benefits I'd contend that he's not trying to get another job.  It doesn't have to be as a civil engineer after all. If he needed time to 'prepare' himself for another job he could surely have managed it in that time.

This "Steps to Work", run through DEL,initiative is for those on the dole for more than 18 months, it is actually a decent idea in principle and if it helps those that are averse to work to see that it isn't so bad after all then all the better.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG1

These are the heartland voters who can be told what way to vote, so why would politicians rock the boat by pulling their benefits when they are guaranteed their vote. What they are too stupid or just dont care about is the fact that they were used by successive politicians while they lined their pockets in the property market and elsewhere. Now some of these estates on both sides are so far gone that it is the norm just to lay about and do nothing and never expect to have a better life for yourself or those around you. Sad reflection on society.

Bingo

Its coming to a point where something will have to be done. Not sure what the answer is though.

Point in kind is trying to get people to pay us money at the minute - most of them tradesmen if truth be told and most of them on the dole at present. One today didn't want to set up a small SO from his bank to pay o/s fees from 2009 as he can't be seen to be lodging money and can't call in for a week or so as he has a few jobs to get finished.

Another strange one is that several young fellas who were working have recently headed to Oz or are planning to. The ones not working are still here, very happy to lift the dole, get the rent paid and head out at weekend and have a good time with a few cash in hand jobs alone the way.

I'm sure if i was uo against it, i'd take all i could but the system is at fault if it allows it and can't detect it. Changes needed at this level, people will take advantage if they are allowed. We also have parties that will do all they can to keep the system as it is.

Tony Baloney

A fairer system would be to pay people benefits pro rata based on their previous NI and income tax contributions to help those who have previously contributed something to the economy/society but have since hit a bit of bad luck. If you dont want to work then you get bottom dollar accordingly.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 03, 2012, 01:53:23 PM
There was a marked difference in the couple that both worked and owned their house, he was getting £250 a week working in a warehouse so after paying mortgage etc they probably had less money in their pocket than the wasters on the estate yet their house wasn't like some squat.
Agreed. Although I can't understand why anyone would buy a house in a place like that.
No doubt cheaper than anywhere else in Coleraine and neither is pulling in big bucks so probably all was available in their price bracket.

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 03, 2012, 04:31:20 PM
No doubt cheaper than anywhere else in Coleraine and neither is pulling in big bucks so probably all was available in their price bracket.

The fella said he had been a waster for years and got his act together, so he was probably living in it and then bought it from the Housing Executive.

Ulick

Quote from: Minder on February 03, 2012, 02:34:07 PM
This "Steps to Work", run through DEL,initiative is for those on the dole for more than 18 months, it is actually a decent idea in principle and if it helps those that are averse to work to see that it isn't so bad after all then all the better.

My limited experience of it is that its a scam on behalf of training companies. In Lurgan they offer nothing more than hairdressing and "factory process operative". Would be better giving people the opportunity to learn a skill or trade.

Minder

Quote from: Ulick on February 03, 2012, 04:54:12 PM
Quote from: Minder on February 03, 2012, 02:34:07 PM

My limited experience of it is that its a scam on behalf of training companies. In Lurgan they offer nothing more than hairdressing and "factory process operative". Would be better giving people the opportunity to learn a skill or trade.

Would they not have already learnt a trade if they had any interest, in one of the training schemes, and get whatever few quid goes along with it?

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 03, 2012, 04:31:20 PM
I understand that, but then why buy at all.