The Estate

Started by Square Ball, January 19, 2012, 07:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Defining alcoholism as  a disease has always left me scratching my head, how can something self inflicted be classified as such? When it has a hold it isn't pleasant but the process of becoming one surely should be outside anyones definition of a disease?  A lot of Sociological, Personality & Psychological contributors / issues obviously, but a disease? Not for me.

haranguerer

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on February 25, 2012, 01:45:18 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 25, 2012, 12:49:56 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on February 24, 2012, 02:25:49 PM
If you ever talk to a recovering alcoholic you'll find they say they were born an alcoholic. It has nothing to do with the availability or the cost of alcohol. It's a disease that they can no more control than say you could control diabeties.

Absolute bollocks imo. Some people may be more inclined to overindulge, in drink/food/drugs, whatever. The majority of its still down to them however. Of course if you talk to a recovering alcoholic he'll say he was born with it - you wont find too many people, no matter how much they pretend to be, who are fully honest, even with themselves, and will say, you know what, it was my fault.
We all have weaknesses, some of us are just better at hiding them or not succumbing to them.

Exactly, and those who are more prone to succumbing do deserve sympathy and help, but it does noone any good to remove their own responsbility from the issue. Lord knows people are generally good enough at kidding themselves without a host of do-gooders backing them up and tellign them its not their fault also.

I am really pleased to see the last few posters saying that having an alcohol problem is NOT a disease. Addiction is a complex phenomenon with lots of contributing factors, including biological i.e. genetic and environmental i.e. social and psychological. It is much too easy to conceptualise it as a disease, as a disease is pathology of body cells, this may be a consequence of addiction such as liver disease but not the cause. As the previous posters have said by saying they have a disease you invariably need a cure, which is something that has to be done on them and not something that they have control over, so it removes personal responsibility from the equation which is wrong in my opinion.
O'Neills Therapist

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: theskull1 on February 13, 2012, 10:49:23 PM
"Eat the fcukin thing ya b**tard"

And the meather shaking the head ....Jesus christ
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: 02 on February 25, 2012, 12:09:59 PM
I am really pleased to see the last few posters saying that having an alcohol problem is NOT a disease. Addiction is a complex phenomenon with lots of contributing factors, including biological i.e. genetic and environmental i.e. social and psychological. It is much too easy to conceptualise it as a disease, as a disease is pathology of body cells, this may be a consequence of addiction such as liver disease but not the cause. As the previous posters have said by saying they have a disease you invariably need a cure, which is something that has to be done on them and not something that they have control over, so it removes personal responsibility from the equation which is wrong in my opinion.
I know plenty of alkies that have gone for a cure the next morning but none of them visited a doctor.

The term 'alcoholism' is synonymous with the disease model and although it is used by the public and some medics, addiction experts have renounced this term from the late 1970s and both ICD10 and DSMIV - the current diagnostic manuals for clinicians use the term alcohol dependence for those who are physically and/or psychologically dependent on alcohol.
O'Neills Therapist

Atticus_Finch

My Monday nights will no longer be the same now with the Estate having come to a conclusion.

I wonder when the boxset is out ?

Hopefully they'll do a show in 5 years time to see how the main characters are getting on ....  I predict that:

- Martin will be running the country.
- Kyle's marriage to the 16 year old will for some supernatural reason not work out
- Noel will still be doing work on the house but his band will win awards throughout the country.
- Kelly Ann will have turned her life around and becomes a teacher who has a no nonsense attitude for truancy.

- In all seriousness hopefully that couple with the kid with Spina bifida get their bungalow - only ones that came across as thoroughly decent. You'd imagine that someone would be helping them out now after them appearing on the programme.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on March 13, 2012, 10:45:10 AM
My Monday nights will no longer be the same now with the Estate having come to a conclusion.

Hopefully they'll do a show in 5 years time to see how the main characters are getting on ....  I predict that:

- Kyle's marriage to the 16 year old will for some supernatural reason not work out
- Noel will still be doing work on the house but his band will win awards throughout the country.
- Kelly Ann will have turned her life around and becomes a teacher who has a no nonsense attitude for truancy.

- In all seriousness hopefully that couple with the kid with Spina bifida get their bungalow - only ones that came across as thoroughly decent. You'd imagine that someone would be helping them out now after them appearing on the programme.

to be fair, the 2 Emma girls were decent. The alco support worker and the blade who was boxing last night and went to uni
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

screenexile

Good to see an alcohol support worker not afraid to fire out the shots . . . .

haranguerer

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 13, 2012, 12:05:02 PM

to be fair, the 2 Emma girls were decent. The alco support worker and the blade who was boxing last night and went to uni

The one who was boxing was a sickening ****.

The other one was a nice girl, but she was no mother teresa. From the pic she was workgin both angles it seems too :)

Atticus_Finch

The one who was boxing was a bit of a melter but in fairness to her she seems as if she hasn't had the easiest life and always made an attempt to have a smile on her face even if that smile had ulterior motives .... i.e. taking advantage of the good natured Noel and his fence building expertise.

No complaints about the support worker either, she did seem to be a good girl with a good heart.  Although she should no how to distinguish between a death threat and a bit of "1970s Londonderry Banter" !

Marty made an appearance for the first time in a long time - heard he got in a bit of trouble which prevented him from appearing in the later editions of the show.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

ziggysego

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on March 13, 2012, 01:57:19 PM
No complaints about the support worker either, she did seem to be a good girl with a good heart.  Although she should no how to distinguish between a death threat and a bit of "1970s Londonderry Banter" !

;D ;D ;D
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Quote from: haranguerer on March 13, 2012, 01:25:19 PM

The other one was a nice girl, but she was no mother teresa. From the pic she was workgin both angles it seems too :)

Yeah I found the one that was boxing a pain in the arse.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: haranguerer on March 13, 2012, 01:25:19 PM

Which angle would you be working Emma at?  ;)

Quote from: ziggysego on March 13, 2012, 02:36:51 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on March 13, 2012, 01:57:19 PM

;D ;D ;D

It's an aul 70s expression, you know, I'll rip your head off, I'll f**king kill ya... It was drunken disorderly in them days but now it is threats to kill....

Poor Jim, he really did a good job defending himself!
O'Neills Therapist