Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: cavanmaniac on December 17, 2015, 03:32:29 AM
I can't see Johnston making hay at intercounty level now that defences are even more packed than when he played before.  Remember,  kildare were crying out for scoring forwards back when Seanie decided that kicking up an almighty fuss,  dividing the county, engaging in months of political chicanery with the GAA top brass,  becoming a farcical temporary  hurler with a solitary ESB bill to his name and relishing the arrogant kicking of a point for his new team in front of his own people,  was ALL somehow preferable to hashing out his differences with Val Andrews,  being a proper team player and knuckling down and playing his way back on to the panel like others also dropped at the time. 
He didn't set the world alight with kildare and McGeeney obviously didn't like what he saw once he got him under his eye and under his thumb.
The simple truth as I see it is that the lad's a big time Charlie with notions of himself,  he has nothing to offer except copious amounts of baggage and this is a massive backwards step for a desperately out-of-ideas Terry Hyland.  Who knows,  maybe advancing age and the cold hand of encroaching retirement has altered Seanie's world view and he's a different man,  but nothing he has done up to now suggests that's likely.

If it all somehow works out,  good luck to all involved,  but I won't hold my breath.
Wouldn't it be mad ifvCavan won the All Ireland with SJ scoring the winning point?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 16, 2015, 08:55:20 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 16, 2015, 07:59:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 16, 2015, 07:54:22 PM
Quote from: Old yeller on December 16, 2015, 07:35:22 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 16, 2015, 07:25:25 PM
Any buckeen willing to put the effort to play county football deserves respect. Cavan's forwards have been in a slumber for a years - it's hard to make a case Seanie doesn't have the skills to be a part of the current Cavan panel. Good on Hyland for being the bigger man.
When was the last time you saw him play? He hasnt played fir Cavan since 2011 and barely kicked a ball for his club since either.

I've seen the Cavan forwards play yearly in the intervening years. Ye couldn't beat us with the deck stacked in your favour this year (we were hardly going great guns - losses to Sligo and Fermanagh sandwiched that match) because ye had no one who could consistently take their scores, and you played your second best midfielder as a FF to no effects such was your desperation to manufacture a cutting edge.

Hyland should run the rule over anyone with the potential to help Cavan score. The rest should be noise for him.
+1
Believe it or not, Syf I totally agree with you!
I find that position very narrow-minded.

So his ability to score is all that matters? His work-rate, his influence over the team, his attitude? All irrelevant. What I don't understand is why Hyland decided to bring him back now rather than any of the previous few years.
No it isn't and I don't particularly like SJ either.  But either Hyland selects his panel or he doesn't; just as you can't half dig a hole or half turn a light on, Hyland can't half pick his side. Now if he sees something in Seanie that would be to Cavan's advantage, he is entitled to select him  without seeking anybody else's permission.
It's tough but that's the way it is.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Esmarelda

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 17, 2015, 09:57:15 AM
Any buckeen willing to put the effort to play county football deserves respect. Cavan's forwards have been in a slumber for a years - it's hard to make a case Seanie doesn't have the skills to be a part of the current Cavan panel. Good on Hyland for being the bigger man.
When was the last time you saw him play? He hasnt played fir Cavan since 2011 and barely kicked a ball for his club since either.

I've seen the Cavan forwards play yearly in the intervening years. Ye couldn't beat us with the deck stacked in your favour this year (we were hardly going great guns - losses to Sligo and Fermanagh sandwiched that match) because ye had no one who could consistently take their scores, and you played your second best midfielder as a FF to no effects such was your desperation to manufacture a cutting edge.

Hyland should run the rule over anyone with the potential to help Cavan score. The rest should be noise for him.
+1

So his ability to score is all that matters? His work-rate, his influence over the team, his attitude? All irrelevant. What I don't understand is why Hyland decided to bring him back now rather than any of the previous few years.
No it isn't and I don't particularly like SJ either.  But either Hyland selects his panel or he doesn't; just as you can't half dig a hole or half turn a light on, Hyland can't half pick his side. Now if he sees something in Seanie that would be to Cavan's advantage, he is entitled to select him  without seeking anybody else's permission.
Your point of view is perfectly valid but that's not what you said initially. You said "Hyland should run the rule over anyone with the potential to help Cavan score. The rest should be noise for him."

cavanmaniac

Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2015, 08:23:53 AM
Wouldn't it be mad ifvCavan won the All Ireland...

Fixed that for you there Seafoid  :P

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 17, 2015, 10:19:56 AM

+1

Your point of view is perfectly valid but that's not what you said initially. You said "Hyland should run the rule over anyone with the potential to help Cavan score. The rest should be noise for him."
??
I don't follow you here. Sure I said "Hyland should run the rule over anyone with the potential to help Cavan score."  I did not state that that the ability t score must be the only criterion to go by.
I also said ". Now if he sees something in Seanie that would be to Cavan's advantage, he is entitled to select him  without seeking anybody else's permission."
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Esmarelda

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 17, 2015, 11:34:54 AM

+1

??
I don't follow you here. Sure I said "Hyland should run the rule over anyone with the potential to help Cavan score."  I did not state that that the ability t score must be the only criterion to go by.
I also said ". Now if he sees something in Seanie that would be to Cavan's advantage, he is entitled to select him  without seeking anybody else's permission."
Well I don't want to split hairs over interpretation but you did follow it up with "everything else should be noise" which suggests that his ability to score is all that matters. I accept your explanation however.

Syferus

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 17, 2015, 11:39:58 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 17, 2015, 11:34:54 AM

+1

??
Well I don't want to split hairs over interpretation but you did follow it up with "everything else should be noise" which suggests that his ability to score is all that matters. I accept your explanation however.

You're doing a bad job reading that Lar 'quote'..

seafoid

124 pages. Deeply felt.
But Cavan are treading water.
A great county with as many all irelands as MGHU and Ros combined
Deep in the DNA is that killer instinct.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

Wouldn't it be ironic if he helps Cavan to an AI title and gets an All Star award.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Syferus

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 06, 2016, 11:25:50 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic if he helps Cavan to an AI title and gets an All Star award.

Ros v Cavan AISF in Sept. Just need to win the province and beat a qualifier. Deadly. Ros to win of course.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 29, 2016, 05:20:23 PM
He had a cracking game today...

Seanie being clapped off the field in Breffni brought this story full circle. Good to see everyone moving on.

Jinxy

There won't be a cow milked in Straffan tonight.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on May 29, 2016, 05:24:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 29, 2016, 05:20:23 PM
He had a cracking game today...

Seanie being clapped off the field in Breffni brought this story full circle. Good to see everyone moving on.

Ironically against the Manager who orchestrated his move away!