No "Hierarchy of Victims", eh? At least, not if your surname's not Finucane...

Started by Evil Genius, January 16, 2012, 06:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 18, 2012, 06:32:10 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 18, 2012, 06:14:28 PM
While the circumstances are different, i.e no state collusion in the Teebane killing, I agree with EG that a full and frank investigation should be made into what happened on that day and any other terrible event.  Unfortunatelty though there won't because it would create a political maelstrom.  The reality is that there are too many incidents over the 30 odd years where things were allowed to happen or were actively encouraged and these will never see the light of day.  I am not saying Teebane is one of them but the Government has too many skeletons in the closet and will not want them coming out.  It is a shame.
You make a reasonable point about the political firestorm which would follow full disclosure etc.
And as the example of the Saville Inquiry into Bloody Sunday demonstrates, there is also the practical consideration of the financial burden to be borne.

Consequently, I am inclined to take the view that the HET should simply be allowed to continue their work as they see fit, whilst the politicians (of all stripes) butt out of the proceedings.

What I cannot accept, however, is the sound of SF/IRA bleating endlessly for justice when one of their own is murdered, whilst demanding silence over murders committed by their own...  >:(

Would completely agree that the HET should be allowed to continue unfettered but do you really expect politicians not to play politics?

Fear ón Srath Bán

What I cannot accept, however, is the sound of SF/IRA bleating endlessly for justice when one of their own is murdered, whilst demanding silence over murders committed by their own...  >:(

You're not normally so reticent when it comes to posting 'supporting' evidence (even when it's anything but, and copious amounts thereof), so why the reluctance on this occasion, why not post some examples of this 'endless bleating' and enjoinders to leave the past behind?

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

deiseach

Spot the smear of Pat Finucane, cut from the same cloth as the innuendo that saw Jack Kielty and Sean Brown murdered. Beneath contempt.

AQMP

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 18, 2012, 06:14:28 PM
While the circumstances are different, i.e no state collusion in the Teebane killing, I agree with EG that a full and frank investigation should be made into what happened on that day and any other terrible event.  Unfortunatelty though there won't because it would create a political maelstrom.  The reality is that there are too many incidents over the 30 odd years where things were allowed to happen or were actively encouraged and these will never see the light of day.  I am not saying Teebane is one of them but the Government has too many skeletons in the closet and will not want them coming out.  It is a shame.
You make a reasonable point about the political firestorm which would follow full disclosure etc.
And as the example of the Saville Inquiry into Bloody Sunday demonstrates, there is also the practical consideration of the financial burden to be borne.

Consequently, I am inclined to take the view that the HET should simply be allowed to continue their work as they see fit, whilst the politicians (of all stripes) butt out of the proceedings.

Well spotted deiseach.  See what he did there? :-\

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: deiseach on January 18, 2012, 09:08:21 PM
Spot the smear of Pat Finucane, cut from the same cloth as the innuendo that saw Jack Kielty and Sean Brown murdered. Beneath contempt.

Ongoing theme with EG.  I asked before and the best evidence I got was "Sean O'Callaghan's book said so".  Given said authors propensity for tall tales I'd rather not have a man summarily executed on his word alone.  Maybe EG you could furnish us with the evidence of Pat Finucane's guilt?

We all know (including EG) that the scum that murdered Finucane (and arrange it) needed no greater motiviation that the fact that Finucane had the temerity to demand due process for his clients.

/Jim.