Niall McNamee's Gambling Problem

Started by brokencrossbar1, January 09, 2012, 10:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

I would take the occasional notion of betting as a hobby, £5 or 10 on football or soccer, but the small wins that come with affordable betting make it a bit pointless. To win enough to make it worthwhile you have to gamble more than you can afford. The buzz of winning is more from relief.  than anything else.

intheknowhow

My full support goes out to him . On his day easily the best forward in the country!

screenexile

Quote from: intheknowhow on January 10, 2012, 10:55:59 PM
My full support goes out to him . On his day easily the best forward in the country!

He's going through a tough time and good luck to him getting over it.

Best forward in the Country?? He's not in the top 10!

bloodybreakball

i can see him as the  best forward in the country tbh

Gaabellting

Fair play to him for coming out with this and must be even hard on him due to fact hes still playing.

I know that there are many intercounty footballers around the country who are big into their betting and can guarantee you hes not alone but maybe not to the magnitude of niall's problem.

This raises the issue then of players betting on matches they play in and i feel bookmakers are dangling a huge carrott in front of players by offering betting on matches like O byrne cup,Fbd etc.

This has become an ever bigger issue in the last number of years where lots of guys are out of work and with less and less income available to them so the temptation is always there to let a league game slip for the sake of collecting on a bet.

It may not be as simple as throwing a game but there are also markets available now on the amount of points a player scores so a forward having an off day and not having his shooting boots may end in him earning a few quid by backing himself to score under 1.5 points etc at even money.

Obviously not all GAA players have the same gamblers mind which i have and wouldnt think of such a thing but i know that the gaa betting has grown hugely over the last number of years.

I think that its just a matter of time before we hear of an inquiry into unusual betting on a gaa game be it intercounty or club but i think that its something waiting to happen.

Watch the space.............................

Interesting to hear peoples thoughts on this.

PS. Niall Mc best of luck with your recovery and look forward to seeing you back in an Offaly jersey

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: screenexile on January 10, 2012, 10:59:13 PM

If he was on a top team and in the spotlight then people would be raving about him - he's got the gimp and languid style of Matt Connor. I'd find it hard to name 10 better forwards in the country at the moment.

Tony Baloney

Go on kick a man when he's down.

Years ago a fella from up at home would get his wages changed into pound coins and he'd pour them into the poker machine. You always heard about the wins but more often than not he was skint for the next 6 days. I've even seen a fella win the jackpot on a poker machine and then put it back in again instead of walking away. Must be some grip to have on you.

JUst retired

A friend of mine did exactly what you said Tony, he lost his job,wife and family.All due to pulling strokes to fund his habit. Not a good place to be in.

LeoMc

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on January 10, 2012, 11:36:30 PM

If he was on a top team and in the spotlight then people would be raving about him - he's got the gimp and languid style of Matt Connor. I'd find it hard to name 10 better forwards in the country at the moment.

Is there another meaning for this word outside the one I learned from Pulp fiction?

AZOffaly

Yes :) In the midlands the 'gimp' of him means the way he carries himself. His gait. His demeanour.

LeoMc

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2012, 09:59:54 AM
Yes :) In the midlands the 'gimp' of him means the way he carries himself. His gait. His demeanour.
Cheers. :)
Every day is a school day.

haranguerer

Quote from: BennyCake on January 10, 2012, 08:28:03 PM
You'll see more of this, especially in the recession.

A few years ago they got rid of tobacco advertising. Gambling is ten times worse in my opinion, yet it's plastered everywhere you look, especially in sport.

They reckon smoking causes about 6500 deaths a year in ireland alone

Offalylad

Lazy statement from someone who's probably never even seen him play. Easily one of the 10 best in the country when on form. Has almost single-handedly played Offaly's opponent every game in the last few years. Ask Monaghan, Down, Wexford fans... they've had experience against him at O'Connor Park in recent years....

screenexile

I've seen him play. Good footballer and probably a good lad too and these are really unfotunate circumstances he finds himself in as well and I hope he comes out the other end.

Let's not get carried away though, he's not making the top 10: 2 Bradleys, 2 Brogans, Gooch, Donaghy, McDonnell, Clarke, Murphy, O'Sullivan, Coulter, Doyle, Goulding, O'Connor, O'Neill, Galvin . . . take your pick

AZOffaly

In top form, Niall is up there with the best full forwards in the game. He's strong and can win his own ball, as well as score, with a great eye for a goal.

I woulodn't be comparing him with Declan O'Sullivan because he's a completely different type of player, but when Declan plays at 14, Niall McNamee is up there with him in terms of effectiveness.

I also would rate him as a better footballer than Kieran Donaghy. If Niall was from Kerry, he'd be on the starting 15.