The Old Firm and Scottish Independence

Started by Feckitt, January 09, 2012, 04:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

'None of you have a f**king clue what you're talking about if you think you can categorise people's politics according to the team they support. 'The majority of Celtic fans' are individuals with as much diversity as you would find on this board in terms of political opinions.'

Just like any organisation or group you can take an opinion poll and get feedback. I think only a fool would say all Celtic fans support Labour or all Celtic fans are for or against independence. I dont see why it is any different to say this website or polircs.ie taking a poll on who people will vote for or a newspaper asking readers who they would vote for.

screenexile

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 25, 2014, 10:53:29 AM
The opinion polls would suggest nothing like a 50/50. At the moment a large number of people who vote for nationalists are happy with the staus quo and are unlikely to vote for a United Ireland tomorrow. This is why it is up to SF/SDLP and the Southern parties to actually try and win these people over and explain the benefits of a new Ireland and point out that the UK economy isnt so rosy but alas they cant be botherd. The opinion polls if a vote happened tomorrow have Yes as low as 4% to 20% but with a massive dont know. The reality is about 30% would vote yes and would be a good starting point but until the real issues are debated this wont increae. As for a Loyalist back lash yes there could be but I doubt it would be a sustained coordinated campaign especially with no UK government or intelligence to collude with. Noone could stop a few crazies from carrying out sporadic attacks but hopefully by then everyone will have wised up

You don't follow William Frazer on Facebook do you??!!

You should!

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: screenexile on February 25, 2014, 11:22:54 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 25, 2014, 10:53:29 AM
The opinion polls would suggest nothing like a 50/50. At the moment a large number of people who vote for nationalists are happy with the staus quo and are unlikely to vote for a United Ireland tomorrow. This is why it is up to SF/SDLP and the Southern parties to actually try and win these people over and explain the benefits of a new Ireland and point out that the UK economy isnt so rosy but alas they cant be botherd. The opinion polls if a vote happened tomorrow have Yes as low as 4% to 20% but with a massive dont know. The reality is about 30% would vote yes and would be a good starting point but until the real issues are debated this wont increae. As for a Loyalist back lash yes there could be but I doubt it would be a sustained coordinated campaign especially with no UK government or intelligence to collude with. Noone could stop a few crazies from carrying out sporadic attacks but hopefully by then everyone will have wised up

You don't follow William Frazer on Facebook do you??!!

You should!

Complete nut job along with his deputy Bwyson. Fortunately they seem to be a dying breed and thanks to the likes of LAD get the constant ridicule they deserve

Rossfan

Quote from: screenexile on February 25, 2014, 10:09:33 AM
Well as far as a United Ireland ...... If Ireland had a referendum about the North becoming part of the Republic  
I think we can take it as read that there will be a different set up entirely when/if an All Ireland State comes about.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ranch

Not long to the referendum now.
The 'Yes' side seem to be gaining ground by the day. They probably won't win the vote but they seem to be giving it a good go! Darling seemed quite lethargic on Monday night in the debate.

RealSpiritof98

Getting tighter, SNP seem to have wiped the floor and the dont knows are turning into Yes.

armaghniac

The yes side have been remarkably negative and people are responding to that. To take the divorce analogy, you could make the case that there were good times together over the years, or you could argue that that you'll fight the other party in court and insist that the dog be cut in half, the "no" people have done the latter.

Anyhow the soccer "greats" say no, apparently
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

I am surprised the likes of Bertie Auld and Billy Mc Neill are a) In the No camp and b) Getting publicly involved. They are two Celtic legends who are running the risk of alienating the Celtic support in general

armaghniac

Latest YouGov #IndyRef poll for the Sunday Times: YES 51% (+4), NO 49% (-4) - http://y-g.co/ZcUSws 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ranch

Quote from: T Fearon on September 06, 2014, 10:14:32 PM
I am surprised the likes of Bertie Auld and Billy Mc Neill are a) In the No camp and b) Getting publicly involved. They are two Celtic legends who are running the risk of alienating the Celtic support in general

How exactly?

ardtole

Quote from: T Fearon on September 06, 2014, 10:14:32 PM
Are all ex Celtic players expected to support the yes campaign? Surely in a democracy everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Im sure most Celtic supporters cudnt give a hoot who their ex players vote for or even if they vote.

T Fearon

Want to bet? Just check twitter. I have no problem with them being in the No Camp,but why get involved in this public campaign? I'd be fairly confident that Dalglish for example would be in the No camp but he has the wit to stay clear of these "Football legends say no" campaign.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 07, 2014, 07:59:43 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2745996/Alan-Hansen-leads-squad-Scottish-football-legends-including-Denis-Law-Ally-McCoist-backing-No-vote-independence-referendum.html

That's why it is stupid to get involved particularly if your views don't chime with the support base

But Tony, you laud people like Archbishop McHale for sticking to his 'strongly held beliefs'. Now that a few grizzled old footballers express their opinions you say 'it is stupid to get involved particularly if your views don't chime with the support base'.

Please don't say that our Tony is admonishing people for not towing the party line!

But then how could you continually criticise victims of clerical abuse, their parents & famine victims with a mantra of their NOT speaking out?
MWWSI 2017