The Old Firm and Scottish Independence

Started by Feckitt, January 09, 2012, 04:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

I always wondered where Old Firm fans stood on this issue.  I remember about 7 or 8 years ago, two celtic fans from Glasgow telling me that the SNP was a protestant party, and that all Glasgow catholics voted Labour.  Now this would put them on the side of Queen and country in the referendum.  Also you cannot tell me that British loving working class Rangers supporting Prods are Tory voters.  It doesn't make sense.  Do Celtic and Rangers both support Labour?  Would Rangers fans vote to leave the UK?  Would Celtic fans vote to remain in the UK?  It all seems a bit confusing but very interesting.  Have Scottish Catholics switched to the SNP, therefore explaining the SNP victories in Glasgow and the West of Scotland which have voted Labour forever and a day until now.

muppet

This is what happens when you base your ideology on simply being the opposite of someone else's.
MWWSI 2017

LeoMc

I was thinking of painting my house. Do you know where I could get a broad brush?

Feckitt

Where would this board be without the smart arses.  I'm not a celtic or rangers fan and i've never been to Glasgow but I know enough to know that Celtic & Rangers supporters have a strong identity which is different from ordinary soccer rivalries.  That must breed some common cultural and political values amongst those communities.  Obviously they don't all think or vote the same way, but there must be a way they would be 'more likely' to vote?. 

I am only curious, if the answer is no, then fair enough, just grow up and say no.  If you don't know, then say nothing, and if you do know something about the subject then I kindly invite you to share your thoughts.  Thanks.

fitzroyalty

Actually harder than you think to determine such a question. Just because a Scot votes SNP doesn't necessarily mean they are pro-independence, even though you would think you're stereotypical Gers fan being a Unionist would vote anyone but SNP.

% in favour of independence (being optimistic) is only around the 38% mark, so with that in mind along with the SNP's recent popularity I'd say a few Gers fans would probably vote SNP.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: muppet on January 09, 2012, 04:21:26 PM
This is what happens when you base your ideology on simply being the opposite of someone else's.

No it isn't.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

muppet

Quote from: Niall Quinn on January 09, 2012, 06:27:24 PM

No it isn't.

It is if try you view society through the polaroid world that is the Old Firm, as the OP appears to attempt.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

It's an interesting one - both Scottish Independence and the 'Old Firm' element.

Will definitely be watched closely on this side of the water, but i'd imagine a significant percentage of those who voted for SNP at the last election would vote No in a referendum. The question is whether any of those who voted Labour / Tory / Lib Dem might vote Yes in a referendum(?)

Niall Quinn

Quote from: muppet on January 09, 2012, 06:34:22 PM

No it isn't.

It is if try you view society through the polaroid world that is the Old Firm, as the OP appears to attempt.

Sorry, I was just going for the cheap contrary joke!
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

dillinger

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 09, 2012, 05:49:54 PM
. Just because a Scot votes SNP doesn't necessarily mean they are pro-independence,

Just because 400,000 people voted for the Shinners dosen't mean they all surport violence. :D No, that's a different thread.  :D

muppet

Quote from: Niall Quinn on January 09, 2012, 10:12:02 PM

No it isn't.

You left out the 'Oh...' before it then.  8)
MWWSI 2017

LeoMc

Quote from: Niall Quinn on January 09, 2012, 10:12:02 PM

No it isn't.

thats OK Niall, I saw where you were going with it.

lawnseed

hard to call this. dont know if soccer comes into it that much, its more to do with whether braveheart has been on the tv lately or not. scotland may have its own parliment but i doubt if theres much chance of it going for full independance truth is theyre just english with slightly funny accents imo. wouldnt trust a scot with a shovel of pooh. 
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Feckitt on January 09, 2012, 04:17:56 PM
I always wondered where Old Firm fans stood on this issue.  I remember about 7 or 8 years ago, two celtic fans from Glasgow telling me that the SNP was a protestant party, and that all Glasgow catholics voted Labour.  Now this would put them on the side of Queen and country in the referendum.  Also you cannot tell me that British loving working class Rangers supporting Prods are Tory voters.  It doesn't make sense.  Do Celtic and Rangers both support Labour?  Would Rangers fans vote to leave the UK?  Would Celtic fans vote to remain in the UK?  It all seems a bit confusing but very interesting.  Have Scottish Catholics switched to the SNP, therefore explaining the SNP victories in Glasgow and the West of Scotland which have voted Labour forever and a day until now.

West of Scotland votes Labour.  It's tribal.

Actually, no, it's f*cking nonsensical.  A monkey in a red rosette could win in Glasgow.  "Ma faither pure wis a labour man, but, so am, byrbut, so i am, anawrat, but"

West of Scotland Labour is a corrupt institution that doesn't care about it's electorate, it cares about keeping power.  There's been a Labour stronghold on all Glasgow representations for 50 years, and they've sat and watched that city move from one of the world's industrial powerhouses to a polarised dichotomy where the great and good have pulled the ladder up behind them.

Labour told the catholics that the SNP would get rid of Catholic schools, they told the protestants that home rule was rome rule, and no-one voted tory, because we're Scots.  Divide and rule - sound familiar?

Tbh, there's no point in voting any other way than SNP right now:-

Tory - we're Scots.  We just don't do that.
Labour - corrupt, dying, arrogant, reminiscent of the bad old days of Glasgow politics
Lib Dems - sold their soul
Green - good ideas, often overshadowed by the SNP
SNP - A genuine centre-left social democratic party, i.e. what we want.  Wish they'd lose the seriously dodgy backers tho'.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: lawnseed on January 10, 2012, 08:18:21 PM
hard to call this. dont know if soccer comes into it that much, its more to do with whether braveheart has been on the tv lately or not.

It really, really isn't

Quote from: lawnseed on January 10, 2012, 08:18:21 PMscotland may have its own parliment but i doubt if theres much chance of it going for full independance truth is theyre just english with slightly funny accents imo

Have you ever been to Scotland?  And my accent isn't funny, and enither's my dialect, ken? [sulk]

Quote from: lawnseed on January 10, 2012, 08:18:21 PMwouldnt trust a scot with a shovel of pooh.

Good idea.  Why we'd be handling shovelfuls of poo is another question entirely...