Group C - Derry

Started by SC1Sports.com, January 09, 2012, 01:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: SC1Sports.com on January 16, 2012, 12:57:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys - great stuff.

SAWEL - what I will say is what goes on on the pitch is no secret and is there for all to see. I'd like to think that opposition managers also have more of a savvy eye than myself. And I'm a writer, a sportsman, and in no way connected with the Derry team so it is certainly a worthwhile venture and a reliable look further into games (We'll also be covering many other teams as the year goes on). We're in the business of reporting, not advising!

WHISKEYSTEVE - completely agree. I DO often get ahead of myself too much as I would allude to a lot! I can't help but get excited sometimes. I have been trying to focus more on individual performances as well for this time of year to identify potential Championship players.
re. Forester. He is small, yes, but I have yet to see this affect the way he plays in any game to date and I think, as long as he's not selected half back, it will be certainly interested to see how he carries on the form at intercounty level. Would love to see him on Wednesday night against Donegal - would give us a better look
I think its only logical that people query his size, given the intensity and physicality of intercounty football.  But as you say, I have yet to see this ever being a factor and I severly doubt it will.  I would be more worried about taller players that havent filled out.  I think they are the ones that can find the step up in physicality at intercounty level difficult.

SC1Sports.com

Cheers Sheamy!

I agree Hi Mucker - i'm a lot taller and whilst i'm probably stronger, i'd find myself knocked on my ass much more than Forester (and that's club games)
Low centre of gravity and explosive legs
As I say, as long as he's not expected to hold the line in defence

lynchbhoy

Quote from: SC1Sports.com on January 16, 2012, 11:11:03 AM
Cheers Sheamy!

I agree Hi Mucker - i'm a lot taller and whilst i'm probably stronger, i'd find myself knocked on my ass much more than Forester (and that's club games)
not knowing the chap at all - would he be any smaller than Brian dooher ?

HiMucker

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 16, 2012, 11:46:01 AM
Cheers Sheamy!

not knowing the chap at all - would he be any smaller than Brian dooher ?
He would be smaller alright.

Link

Could someone copy and paste the SC1 article onto this thread? Having bother getting on their website in work!
Thanks in advance!

HiMucker

Cheers Sheamy!

Sure he plays half back for us.  I think he would be suited to playing there also for derry.  His tackling is one of his best attributes.
Anyhow thought it was a very positive display by derry.  The full forwards worked incredibly hard, making alot of runs.  McCamly I thought was very good.  Bateson done well, GOK was brilliant, and it was great to see paddy bradley coming back fro serious injury.  Credit to him, must have done serious hard rehab work. He will be flying in a few weeks time.

HiMucker

Having witnessed a lifeless, error-ridden encounter last week, I travelled to Celtic Park on Saturday night interested to see if Derry had learned from what was a sub-standard opening performance rescued by individual ingenuity.

Of course, in the first week of January, it would be cruel to be too harsh but, registering just 5 shots from play and being turned over in 57% of our attacks, there were some pressing matters which needed urgent attention. This attention was granted.

Taking a total of 27 shots (22 from play) and going straight for the jugular with direct, fluid football, Oak Leaf natives who braved the cold were treated to some superb, open entertainment. A complete contrast from Gameweek 1.

Knocking over 1-16, Derry fully deserved their victory this time round and it was helped in no short form by the countless passes which were played straight to the full forward – a much more competitive line who retained possession this time.

The recall of Mark Lynch to the starting line up was absolutely crucial to rectifying last week's problems as he countlessly took possession and made it easy for the lively inside line with accurate, spacious kicks.

The Banagher man was controlling the game and was equally as effective when he was playing at full forward, or even when he dropped to help out the defence.

Mark Lynch's stats tell their own story. He was absolutely excelling in every aspect of the game and his ability to control the match against his former Sigerson outfit was quite telling at times. Taking 2 ambitious efforts from beyond the 45m line, Derry's number 11 was trying his range for the start of the season and despite producing one of the best scores of the day with the last kick of the game, it was how central Lynch was to every other attack which stood out the most.

The above indicates times when the 2002 All-Ireland Minor winner played a genuine key role to the build up of an attack. It is clear that Lynch was the heartbeat of the team against Jordanstown and having a telling involvement in the majority of the team's attacks is testament to the reliance his county had on him.

That aside, I found great hope in watching how easily Derry were able to shut Jordanstown out at times. In fact, if it wasn't for the outrageous accuracy of the Poly forwards (they hit just 2 wides), the scoreline could've been a lot more flattering as McGuckin's side launched direct attack after attack to no avail on too many occasions.

Clearly evident that the university were opting for territory rather than possession, they were sending balls into our full back line – in which McCallion yet again excelled – like there was no tomorrow. Big Adrian will be disappointed that the majority of attacks led to no attempts on goal but I think that the number of times the Antrim team were pushed out and dispossessed should be indebted to the new system where Derry's 2 wing half forwards, McCamley and, of course, Lynch at times, were dropping back and helping the defence.

In the modern-day game, the backs need help – plain and simple. And who better to have tracking back than two natural defenders themselves? On Friday evening, I wrote on the Derry website that I was rooting for two big games from Gerard O'Kane and Neil Forester – and boy did they deliver. Bringing the ball from defence with no hesitancy, the Glenullin and Steelstown men were just as quick at the other end whilst the majority of the home side scores were indebted greatly to the non-stop work of our new forwards.

And anyone who had reservations of Gerard's ability to cut it so far up the field, take a look at this.

O'Kane was deadly. Without doubt the man of the match, Gerard produced a display of pace and power as he constantly pierced holes in the Jordanstown defence – and he was equally as comfotable with his back to goal (one of the most difficult obstacles for a natural defender to overcome).

Combining with Forester on the other side, it grew more and more difficult to believe that the city man was completing his debut as every passing minute gave him more strength and energy. He even had the audacity to chance his arm with 2 shots!

Forester was a genuine livewire and the perfect player to compliment the team's good defensive work as he just loves to get the ball forward again. Whilst himself and Gerard were struggling to get back before Jordanstown kicked another direct pass, they made amends in abundance.

In fact, Neil judged his division of labour in each area of the pitch to an absolute tee.

Spending as much time in defence and attack and providing additional service around the middle, it was the complete half forward performance from young Forester whose keenness to break explosively at the other end of the surface, along with his new partner, has me dreaming of the pair providing the perfect counter-attacking remedy for a swarming Donegal outfit in May. You must hit Donegal fast, or not at all.

And, yes, I still hold the belief that the direct ball to the full forward line, before the numbers retreat, is the best method around the blanket defence (and we're doing that now too), but if we combine McKaigue and Sean Leo with yesterday's stand out droppers, the energy and positivity in Derry's play will make them one of the most effective teams on the island (considering they can mix it up better than anyone with the Bradleys and Lynch) and it will ensure that pinning the likes of Lacey on the back foot will be the least of our worries.

Another game, another victory. Just a magnificent performance this time to boast

HiMucker

Someone will have to put up the charts.  My technical skills are limited!

lynchbhoy

have always said it, Mark Lynch needs to be played in the centre and not on the wing.

HiMucker

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 16, 2012, 12:02:18 PM
have always said it, Mark Lynch needs to be played in the centre and not on the wing.
Id agree.  Causes far more havoc in the middle.  I dont see why you should isolate a big powerful player on the wing.

Link

Cheers HiMucker but the charts are crucial!!  :P

saffron sam2

The use of the word countless in your analysis is inappropriate.

Surely the whole purpose of the analysis is to be able to count and list exact values.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

sheamy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 16, 2012, 03:12:46 PM

Surely the whole purpose of the analysis is to be able to count and list exact values.

Take a wee look at the link first sur...there's a bar chart showing every time Mark Lynch touched the ball. You can even add them up if you want.

saffron sam2

Quote from: sheamy on January 16, 2012, 07:07:14 PM

Take a wee look at the link first sur...there's a bar chart showing every time Mark Lynch touched the ball. You can even add them up if you want.

Hi, that is my point sur. If you can add them up sur, then why use a word like countless, sur?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

sheamy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 17, 2012, 11:54:24 AM
Quote from: sheamy on January 16, 2012, 07:07:14 PM

Hi, that is my point sur. If you can add them up sur, then why use a word like countless, sur?

Oxymoron designed to keep you shams on your toes, sur.

Note to SC1Sports: Publish a paper of equations the next time and quit with the contradictory literary techniques. You're frying this mans head.