The demise of the Catholic faith in Ireland

Started by DownFanatic, January 07, 2012, 06:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Just going on the opinions of many in my demographic and looking at the general goings on in my parish and parishes nearby, I am starting to come around to the view that the Catholic faith in my area is on the slide. I am interested to hear different poster's views on the state of their parishes.

From what Ive seen less and less people are attending Mass. The 40 years + bracket are still there en masse but below that there is only a scattering of age groups who consistently attend.

My parish has recently cancelled a couple of weekday masses due to priests being unable to cover them. At Christmas time they have to pull out an 85 year old retired priest to help with the masses. Recently, lay people have taken on a greater role in our chapel during services and from what I hear this is going to become the norm.

The archetypical dad, mum and two children stable family unit is not the norm anymore. Primary school's are full of children from one parent and broken families. Going to Mass is as alien to them as quantum physics is.

Most of the lads around my age have absolutely no interest in the Catholic faith that they were brought up in. Hardly any of them go to Mass or take anything to do with their church.

What state will the Catholic church in Ireland be in the next 20 years?

thebigfella

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 07, 2012, 06:11:16 PM
Just going on the opinions of many in my demographic and looking at the general goings on in my parish and parishes nearby, I am starting to come around to the view that the Catholic faith in my area is on the slide. I am interested to hear different poster's views on the state of their parishes.

From what Ive seen less and less people are attending Mass. The 40 years + bracket are still there en masse but below that there is only a scattering of age groups who consistently attend.

My parish has recently cancelled a couple of weekday masses due to priests being unable to cover them. At Christmas time they have to pull out an 85 year old retired priest to help with the masses. Recently, lay people have taken on a greater role in our chapel during services and from what I hear this is going to become the norm.

The archetypical dad, mum and two children stable family unit is not the norm anymore. Primary school's are full of children from one parent and broken families. Going to Mass is as alien to them as quantum physics is.

Most of the lads around my age have absolutely no interest in the Catholic faith that they were brought up in. Hardly any of them go to Mass or take anything to do with their church.

What the fcuk has got to do with it?

DownFanatic

Quote from: thebigfella on January 07, 2012, 06:41:58 PM

What the fcuk has got to do with it?

Going on experience a lot of single parent families that I knew of felt alienated by the church and thus didn't fully engage with it.

mylestheslasher

Let's hope the slide accelerates and this cancer of an organisation vanishes for good.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 07, 2012, 07:14:34 PM
Let's hope the slide accelerates and this cancer of an organisation vanishes for good.
Not a fan?  :)

Puckoon

Well down fanatic there you have a crux of the answer. The church has to take a serous dose of ownership for its current predicament.

Dougal Maguire

Primary school's are full of children from one parent and broken families.

By the sound of things you could have done with a few extra days at primary school yourself
Careful now

Myles Na G.

In mass en masse, then?  :)

DownFanatic

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 07, 2012, 07:49:17 PM

Primary school's are full of children from one parent and broken families.

By the sound of things you could have done with a few extra days at primary school yourself

I was remedial but ive come a long way :)

thejuice

Quite simply I don't think believe in God anymore, and if they still do well the churches especially the Catholic one has shown it far from walking the path of Jesus.

If Christianity is to survive in this country it needs to lose the hierarchical and bring the lay folk back into it.

The churches could play a valuable role in communities as people need something other than the pub and shopping to get them together. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ardchieftain

Well said sir

Jonah

Idiot.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Jonah on January 07, 2012, 08:51:15 PM
Idiot.
You do know you are not charged by the letter on the internet :D care to expand?

muppet

I'm not sure the title is the most accurate description, swap the word 'Church' with the word 'Faith'.
MWWSI 2017

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: muppet on January 07, 2012, 09:04:18 PM
I'm not sure the title is the most accurate description, swap the word 'Church' with the word 'Faith'.

Faith might be an accurate enough description, anyone here actually believe everything they recite in the Nicene Creed every Sunday?