GAA star dies of suspected sudden adult death syndrome

Started by Eamonnca1, January 06, 2012, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

QuoteGAA star dies of suspected sudden adult death syndrome
Friday, 6 January 2012

Another talented Gaelic footballer has died from a suspected case of sudden adult death syndrome (SADS).

Jason Morley was found dead by his wife, Rebecca, in their home at Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo, when she woke on Wednesday morning.

Mr Morley was 37 and worked for a local scaffolding firm.

It is thought that his unexpected death may be down to SADS, which is believed to be responsible for approximately two deaths a week in Ireland.

All-Ireland winning Tyrone footballer Cormac McAnallen was a healthy 24-year-old when he fell victim to the condition in his sleep in March 2004.

His death prompted an ongoing awareness campaign which has resulted in many sports players being screened for cardiac conditions and defibrillators installed at sports clubs.

Typically, SADS victims suffer unexpected heart problems while exercising.

Mr Morley's remains were removed to Mayo General Hospital in Castlebar where a post mortem was due to be carried out yesterday.

It is understood he had been complaining of a sore throat in the days before his death, but had been to a doctor and was taking medication for that complaint.

Over the past two decades, Mr Morley, a brother of former Mayo intercounty footballer Tony Morley, distinguished himself on local playing fields winning many honours with the Ballyhaunis GAA Club.

He was named club footballer of the year in 2000. Ballyhaunis club secretary Vincent Caulfield said yesterday Mr Morley had been the epitome of what every sportsman should be.

"He was brave, as strong as a horse, looked after himself well," Mr Caulfield said. "Off the field, Jason was a true gentleman and a great family man."

A message on the club's website yesterday read: "It is with great sadness and deep regret our club have learned of the sudden and untimely passing of our loyal, cherished player and friend, Jason Morley.

"(We) offer our sincere condolences to his wife Becky, son Conor, parents Josie and Tony, brothers Tony and David and extended family and wide circle of friends."

Mr Morley's removal will take place to his local Bekan Church tonight at 7pm.

What an awful tragedy. 

And two people a week dying of this? 

mrhardyannual

Tragic.
A lovely lad who played the game hard and fair. Along with Keith Higgins he was still the mainstay of the Ballyhaunis team.
Football aside, its a horrendous blow to his wife and young child.
RIP

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 06, 2012, 06:50:25 PM
QuoteGAA star dies of suspected sudden adult death syndrome
Friday, 6 January 2012

Another talented Gaelic footballer has died from a suspected case of sudden adult death syndrome (SADS).

Jason Morley was found dead by his wife, Rebecca, in their home at Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo, when she woke on Wednesday morning.

Mr Morley was 37 and worked for a local scaffolding firm.

It is thought that his unexpected death may be down to SADS, which is believed to be responsible for approximately two deaths a week in Ireland.

All-Ireland winning Tyrone footballer Cormac McAnallen was a healthy 24-year-old when he fell victim to the condition in his sleep in March 2004.

His death prompted an ongoing awareness campaign which has resulted in many sports players being screened for cardiac conditions and defibrillators installed at sports clubs.

Typically, SADS victims suffer unexpected heart problems while exercising.

Mr Morley's remains were removed to Mayo General Hospital in Castlebar where a post mortem was due to be carried out yesterday.

It is understood he had been complaining of a sore throat in the days before his death, but had been to a doctor and was taking medication for that complaint.

Over the past two decades, Mr Morley, a brother of former Mayo intercounty footballer Tony Morley, distinguished himself on local playing fields winning many honours with the Ballyhaunis GAA Club.

He was named club footballer of the year in 2000. Ballyhaunis club secretary Vincent Caulfield said yesterday Mr Morley had been the epitome of what every sportsman should be.

"He was brave, as strong as a horse, looked after himself well," Mr Caulfield said. "Off the field, Jason was a true gentleman and a great family man."

A message on the club's website yesterday read: "It is with great sadness and deep regret our club have learned of the sudden and untimely passing of our loyal, cherished player and friend, Jason Morley.

"(We) offer our sincere condolences to his wife Becky, son Conor, parents Josie and Tony, brothers Tony and David and extended family and wide circle of friends."

Mr Morley's removal will take place to his local Bekan Church tonight at 7pm.

What an awful tragedy. 

And two people a week dying of this?
Condolescences to his family, friends and anyone who knew, shocking, may he rest in peace,

Isnt this SADS just a BS term because doctors dont know the real reason these players are dying. Playing sports is supposed to make you healthier not kill you so which is it, its a very confusing message, and i wish theyd get to the bottom. Like if 2 are dying every week, thats 104 a year, surely there is a trend in there medical history, maybe same heart issues etc...i understand your heart has to work harder during sports and it puts pressure on it. Too many people are dying too early and something needs to be done on diagnosis rather than reactive, dont get me wrong having defibrillators in gaa clubs is good but its reactive.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ziggysego

Terrible news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and wider community.

RIP
Testing Accessibility

thejuice

Absolutely terrible. Rest In Peace.

My thoughts and prayers with all his people.

I think this SADS, is a term to cover deaths from undetected heart issues and not one specific identifiable disease in itself.

Still its a shame that this is happening.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Sam2011

Very sad news indeed.
Thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and the community of Ballyhaunis at this difficult time.
R.I.P

orangeman

donegal_abu

Very sad news. Thoughts are with his family, friends and everyone who knew him

muppet

SADS is the word for it. Hard to make sense of a young fella, who keeps very fit, dying without even a chance to fight whatever it is.

RIP.
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 06, 2012, 10:15:58 PM
Isnt this SADS just a BS term because doctors dont know the real reason these players are dying.

Yes - its not an actual syndrome - its catch all else they cant explain

Lar Naparka

I am shocked and saddened by Gordon's death. My sympathies go out to his family and I am thinking of his mother, Frances, in particular.
She had lost her husband and now her son under tragic circumstances. Gordon's father was John Morley and no Mayo fans needs reminding of who John was. He was murdered by armed thugs after a botched attempt to rob a bank in Roscommon.
Like his father, Gordon was an inter county footballer but for some inexplicable reason his career with Mayo was extremely short. I think he played for only two seasons before fading from the scene but I and a great many others thought he was at least as good as anyone else Mayo had to play at corner back at the time.
He was to go on to win an All Ireland medal with Salthill- Knocknacarra a few years later.
SADS may indeed cover a lot of heart-related problems but quite a high percentage of those who fall victim to it are fit and active males who play physical sport or did so up 'til shortly before their deaths. It seems to me that, somehow, there is a tangible connection between the sports activities and the heart issues. With luck this connection will be discovered and steps taken to prevent such tragedies sometime soon.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

maigheo

I think you are a little confused lar ,with your last post.It was Jason Morley that sadly passed away last week,not Gordon Morley.

stephenite

Lar-Maigheo is correct. Different Morley, obviously an honest mistake

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on January 09, 2012, 11:59:57 PM
Lar-Maigheo is correct. Different Morley, obviously an honest mistake
MWWSI 2017

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

There does appear to more of these very sad and unfortunate deaths. Are we dealing with a common cause here or are these sometimes unrelated