Are Michael O Neill and Gerry Armstong Off Their Heads??

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, January 05, 2012, 12:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 05, 2012, 07:05:27 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2012, 06:56:44 PM
Quote from: angermanagement on January 05, 2012, 09:09:36 AM
If they feel so strongly why do they all play underage football for the North, yes fair play to them if they make the choice but many of them have wore the shirt for years and it didn't seem to affect there culture at the time.

I cant resist been trivial at times, but you have used the wrong there/their in your post. But on a more serious note, you can hardly blame an underage player for not always been able to make the choices he/she wants. I also don't think the same opportunities/rules are there at underage.
I can't resist either. You've used the wrong been/being in your post.
:P

Fair Play, ha ha, cant believe I missed that, especially after posting such a puerile post- are you sure you havent got some super IT skills and changed that post on me?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 05, 2012, 07:45:36 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2012, 07:13:13 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on January 05, 2012, 07:03:27 PM
It's not JUST about political allegiances.  If NI were a better team than Republic and were the ones with a realistic chance of qualifying for tournaments then plenty of the same boys would have opted for NI instead, the same way as they gravitate towards the best league/club they can play in/for.

You are right its not. But I know that with Gibson and Mc Clean its because they were brought up as nationalists in households where NI matches were turned over and everyone always supported the Republic. Mc Clean was in a local paper today in Derry saying that it has always been his dream to play for the Republic. Have you ever been at an NI match? Its not a comfortable place if you are a Nationalist.
If McClean was a hardcore nationalist why did he play for NI at U21?

I didnt use the word hardcore. I said he was a nationalist. It is only in recent times that Northern Nationalists have been aware of their rights as nationalists to play for the Republic.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2012, 08:06:00 PM
It's not JUST about political allegiances.  If NI were a better team than Republic and were the ones with a realistic chance of qualifying for tournaments then plenty of the same boys would have opted for NI instead, the same way as they gravitate towards the best league/club they can play in/for.

You are right its not. But I know that with Gibson and Mc Clean its because they were brought up as nationalists in households where NI matches were turned over and everyone always supported the Republic. Mc Clean was in a local paper today in Derry saying that it has always been his dream to play for the Republic. Have you ever been at an NI match? Its not a comfortable place if you are a Nationalist.

I didnt use the word hardcore. I said he was a nationalist. It is only in recent times that Northern Nationalists have been aware of their rights as nationalists to play for the Republic.
[/b]

Do you have to be a nationalist to play for the Republic or can any "northerner" choose to play for them?  ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2012, 08:00:06 PM
If they feel so strongly why do they all play underage football for the North, yes fair play to them if they make the choice but many of them have wore the shirt for years and it didn't seem to affect there culture at the time.

I cant resist been trivial at times, but you have used the wrong there/their in your post. But on a more serious note, you can hardly blame an underage player for not always been able to make the choices he/she wants. I also don't think the same opportunities/rules are there at underage.

Fair Play, ha ha, cant believe I missed that, especially after posting such a puerile post- are you sure you havent got some super IT skills and changed that post on me?
I don't. And it isn't me that's stealing your apostrophes either.

saffron sam2

Playing for either team is not a political statement. Players should play for where they're from.

Having said that, Mr Armstrong is becoming more of an Eejit every time he appears in the press: he is in favour of retaining GSTQ as the song played for the NI team, yet in an interview in Derry referred to the "north of Ireland". That and expressing an interest in managing the NI team, despite not having the requisite coaching badges.

A quite bizarre individual.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 05, 2012, 08:26:27 PM

Cant be bothered with apostrophes or can't be bothered if that keeps you happy

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2012, 08:48:25 PM

You're shy of the old full stops too.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 05, 2012, 09:01:09 PM

:D

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 05, 2012, 09:01:09 PM

I was afraid to use one because I wasn't sure of the difference between an old full stop and a new full stop. ;D

michaelg

As someone not from a Nationalist background, I was wondering why specifically it is not a comfortable place for Nationalists.  Putting aside, I assume, your desire for the N.Ireland football team not to exist in the first place, is it the anthem or playing at Windsor Park which is the biggest issue?  With respect to the anthem, to me it is always a bit of a damp squib / irrelevance with most folk not even bothering to sing.  Personally I reckon Danny Boy or some other neutral tune should be played in place of the dirge that is GSTQ.  As for playing games at Windsor Park, do you feel threatened attending as a Nationalist?  Although admittedly located on the edge of the Village, it also adjacent to and accessible from the Lisburn Road which is now a mixed area populated by students, young professionals, foreign nationals etc.

Main Street

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 05, 2012, 08:39:09 PM
Playing for either team is not a political statement. Players should play for where they're from.

International football is essentially about nationality. Location is just one aspect.
Location/birth place does not restrict a person's national identity.
Because you're born in the 6 counties, then you should only be a British national?
International football is about nationality not location and nationality is not restricted to a location.
So basically, if you want to have  "players should play for where they're from"  what you're really saying is that you want the central ethos of international football eligibility statutes be ditched and a new one adopted.

SS2, I suggest you ponder about your suggestion a bit more.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 05, 2012, 08:15:08 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2012, 08:06:00 PM

[/b]

Do you have to be a nationalist to play for the Republic or can any "northerner" choose to play for them?  ;)

Any northerner can play of course. Even a Unionist from Malin Head or Ballymena if that is what they feel comfortable with. It is just i an unfortunate truth that Windsor Park is and always has been a cold house for nationalists so they prefer now to play for the Republic.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: michaelg on January 05, 2012, 10:29:33 PM

As someone not from a Nationalist background, I was wondering why specifically it is not a comfortable place for Nationalists.  Putting aside, I assume, your desire for the N.Ireland football team not to exist in the first place, is it the anthem or playing at Windsor Park which is the biggest issue?  With respect to the anthem, to me it is always a bit of a damp squib / irrelevance with most folk not even bothering to sing.  Personally I reckon Danny Boy or some other neutral tune should be played in place of the dirge that is GSTQ.  As for playing games at Windsor Park, do you feel threatened attending as a Nationalist?  Although admittedly located on the edge of the Village, it also adjacent to and accessible from the Lisburn Road which is now a mixed area populated by students, young professionals, foreign nationals etc.

What age are you? Where are you from? You are seriously saying that you have never seen the UDA Flags at Windsor or heard the Billy Boys amongst other sectarian shite sang at Windsor? I probably would prefer if NI didn't exist as a statelet, but if we are to put up with it for another 90 or so years the anthem, flags and venue need to change as you said to something more neutral. I had friends forced out the Lisburn Road too whilst living in Belfast as students because one of them was ill informed enough to wear a GAA jersey

ludermor