Retrieving Text Messages

Started by Radda bout yeee, January 04, 2012, 11:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radda bout yeee

I know someone who may have to go to court over an issue and the main help to the case would be text messages which have since been lost with the change over of a phone plus some that were deleted. Is there any way of retrieving these through your operator or are they just lost forever?

Minder

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on January 04, 2012, 11:33:48 AM
I know someone who may have to go to court over an issue and the main help to the case would be text messages which have since been lost with the change over of a phone plus some that were deleted. Is there any way of retrieving these through your operator or are they just lost forever?

Sorry to hear about the break up of your marriage.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hashtag

Surly a text message as evidence will be thrown out as you can't prove who sent the text. Even if it is from someone's phone you can't be 100% sure that it was them he sent the message.

Tubberman

They are not easily retrievable but the operator can do it. But as far as I know that usually only happens upon a Garda request.
You can always try though!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Minder on January 04, 2012, 11:42:35 AM

Sorry to hear about the break up of your marriage.

I'd have to be married before I could go through the break up but it should be good craic when I finally get to that stage.  ;D

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Tubberman on January 04, 2012, 12:02:33 PM
They are not easily retrievable but the operator can do it. But as far as I know that usually only happens upon a Garda request.

I suppose the PSNI would be the same then? Best just to take the case to a solicitor and get him to advise I would say.

Hashtag

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on January 04, 2012, 12:42:38 PM

I suppose the PSNI would be the same then? Best just to take the case to a solicitor and get him to advise I would say.

No, the PSNI will not do. Are you stupid? He clearly said he had to be the GARDA.

Orior

Quote from: Hashtag on January 04, 2012, 12:44:21 PM

No, the PSNI will not do. Are you stupid? He clearly said he had to be the GARDA.

Ha! Will I or wont I? No, its probably a trap. Somebody else can point out the error here.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hashtag

Quote from: Orior on January 04, 2012, 01:06:46 PM
Quote from: Hashtag on January 04, 2012, 12:44:21 PM

Ha! Will I or wont I? No, its probably a trap. Somebody else can point out the error here.

No need. We all see my error. I am stupid by my own admission. I don't proof read anything. tap tap tap send.

muppet

Was it a company phone or on a business account? The account holder may be able to access it. If it was a disposable sim card it might be more difficult.

Even for a private phone it can be done but takes time. A court order would do it though this would be the most expensive way.

A text message sends more information than one might think.
MWWSI 2017

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: muppet on January 04, 2012, 05:23:39 PM

Was it a company phone or on a business account? The account holder may be able to access it. If it was a disposable sim card it might be more difficult.

Even for a private phone it can be done but takes time. A court order would do it though this would be the most expensive way.

It involves two phones both are private contract phones - one is a blackberry the other is an iphone.
I have a feeling the text messages would be enough to get a judgement in my friends favour!

muppet

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on January 05, 2012, 11:32:34 AM

It involves two phones both are private contract phones - one is a blackberry the other is an iphone.
I have a feeling the text messages would be enough to get a judgement in my friends favour!

If it was recent then either phone's messages should be retrievable even if the message was deleted. You will need someone who really knows what they are doing though. Both phones each store a fixed number of texts (even if deleted by the user) and only really disappear when overwritten by a new text. But the provider should still have access even after they are overwritten, witness the Joe O'Reilly trial in Ireland. The Gárdaí got everything, but that was a murder trial.

I have some recent experience of a similar issue but while the Gárdaí are helpful, they understandably will prioritise important cases.
MWWSI 2017

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: muppet on January 05, 2012, 07:34:27 PM
Quote from: Radda bout yeee on January 05, 2012, 11:32:34 AM

If it was recent then either phone's messages should be retrievable even if the message was deleted. You will need someone who really knows what they are doing though. Both phones each store a fixed number of texts (even if deleted by the user) and only really disappear when overwritten by a new text. But the provider should still have access even after they are overwritten, witness the Joe O'Reilly trial in Ireland. The Gárdaí got everything, but that was a murder trial.

I have some recent experience of a similar issue but while the Gárdaí are helpful, they understandably will prioritise important cases.

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how they get on!