First row of the year - Eoin Kelly of Waterford dropped from the squad for 2012

Started by orangeman, January 03, 2012, 11:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Any views ? He was taken off in Croker as past couple of years and wasn't a happy camper but I'm surprised he hasn't made the panel -

RTE -

Eoin Kelly has been dropped from the Waterford senior hurling squad for the 2012 season.

The former captain has played championship hurling with Waterford for the past ten years, but the Passage East player has been told by management that he is not part of the panel for the forthcoming season.A spokesman for the Waterford management said earlier that they would not be making a statement, but said that if players perform in club games, they may be reconsidered.

Two-time All Star Kelly remains eager to be included on the panel and has insisted that he is not retiring.

Gallybander

Constructive dismissal.
Word has it that Ryan wanted him off the panel and gave Kelly a training programme to do on his own, knowing full well he wouldn't stick to it.

Kelly is a great talent, but needs a bit of man-management to get the best out of him. He has been coasting for a few years and obviously Ryan didn't fancy trying to bate the performances out of him.

the waffler

he wasnt starting last season and is  pushin on in years if he needs special attention at his age let him go, spend the time on the younger lads for the next few years  think waterford will be quiet for a bit

Asal Mor

He's only around the 30 mark which shouldn't be too old for a player as gifted as he is. But his form has been steadily declining and he was poor enough last year whenever he got his chancce. I imagine Ryan would like to have him involved if Kelly started putting in the effort so hopefully he'll drop the cockiness and force his way back in. Waterford need him. When they come up against the Kilkennys and Tipps its pretty much Mullane shouldering the scoring burden on his own. Waterford need Kelly but at he same time Ryan was probably 100% right to drop him.

seafoid

I have a clipping from 2008 after the AISF that says "kelly could be one of the greats"..

heffo

Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2012, 01:21:10 PM
I have a clipping from 2008 after the AISF that says "kelly could be one of the greats"..

Ability-wise there is no doubt, but to make it to the very top ability is only one factor.