Michael O'Neill - wtf

Started by Aerlik, December 28, 2011, 06:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: attheraces on December 28, 2011, 08:24:42 PM
Oh so now are we arguing that it is a sovereign state?
A country tends to be a sovereign state, you must be confusing a country with a disputed country, 66 of them in the world.

attheraces

And are you's going to start arguing that England/Scotland/Wales are not countries? You can get all technical with sovereign states/countries, or you could also start talking about constituent countries. Sorry folks, but whatever you seem to thinkor whatever little loophole you may find which might state otherwise, it is a country. It has it's own government, which now actually has power to make calls on many (not all before you start) issues that actually matter.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

attheraces

Quote from: ballinaman on December 28, 2011, 08:27:09 PM
Quote from: attheraces on December 28, 2011, 08:24:42 PM
Oh so now are we arguing that it is a sovereign state?
A country tends to be a sovereign state, you must be confusing a country with a disputed country, 66 of them in the world.

Silly post.Silly argument.
Yes tends to be.
For your information regarding disputed countries, the thing that is being disputed is the country. Just to make it clearer for you, In Northern Ireland's case, that dispute would be regarding the country Northern Ireland.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: attheraces on December 28, 2011, 08:30:11 PM
And are you's going to start arguing that England/Scotland/Wales are not countries? You can get all technical with sovereign states/countries, or you could also start talking about constituent countries. Sorry folks, but whatever you seem to thinkor whatever little loophole you may find which might state otherwise, it is a country. It has it's own government, which now actually has power to make calls on many (not all before you start) issues that actually matter.

This is what I can't understand with the bits of the U.K. getting teams, why doesn't California, Catalonia, Lapland, Punjab, Queensland, Patagonia, Galicia, Corsica, Crimea, Tibet, Borneo, Transvall, Qubec, Western Sahara, Biafra, Palastinan Authority, Kurdistan, Gotland etc. get teams?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

attheraces

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 28, 2011, 08:42:25 PM

This is what I can't understand with the bits of the U.K. getting teams, why doesn't California, Catalonia, Lapland, Punjab, Queensland, Patagonia, Galicia, Corsica, Crimea, Tibet, Borneo, Transvall, Qubec, Western Sahara, Biafra, Palastinan Authority, Kurdistan, Gotland etc. get teams?

Don't know, I would take a slight guess at the fact they are not countries but wouldn't be so sure. Let me know if you find out!

attheraces

P.s Catalonia do have a football team that is all I am sure of, and I am sure there are other teams in various sports that represent them different areas one way or another.

ardal

catalunya and pais Basque do have teams, and all the people from those provinces play; Puyol, Xaxi, Llorente ect, but they are not recognised international teams.

I believe the UK is split into four because they refused to join EUFA; or whatever it's called, unless they had 4 bites at the cherry, it was also during a period of time when the brits still had international power and call the shots

attheraces

thats regarding soccer, but I think mayogods question was more of a rhetorical one to be honest.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: attheraces on December 28, 2011, 08:46:17 PM

Don't know, I would take a slight guess at the fact they are not countries but wouldn't be so sure. Let me know if you find out!

Who defines which are countries, states or nations? Pretty sure many Qubecois, Catalonians, Laps, Western Saharans, Tibetans consider themselves countries, some with far great historical claims than the gerrymandered partitioned region of Ireland/region of the United Kingdom. California was an Independent Republic, Corsica fought to free themselves from Genoa, to be defeated by France, who invaded because the British tried to turn the place into a Royal Navy puppet state. The Biafrians fought a war to say they were a country. The Kurds and Palestinians argue they are a country. Gotland has a historical claim to being seperate. Queensland was a seperate colony. Crimea is more Russian than Ukranian. Borneo, Punjab and Patagonia have a different flavour to the rest of the states they belong, where does the line between region, province, state, nation and country start and end?

Yes I meant teams that are members of FIFA, UEFA etc.

Northern Ireland is not a nation, a country, a province or a state in my opinion, I would consider it more of a place.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

cicfada

People here would be giving out yards about no catholics in the NI team and the anti-Catholic ethos etc etc. The IFA then appoint a Catholic as manager then people are still giving out yards!!!!  give over lads!

attheraces

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 28, 2011, 08:57:25 PM
Quote from: attheraces on December 28, 2011, 08:46:17 PM

Who defines which are countries, states or nations? Pretty sure many Qubecois, Catalonians, Laps, Western Saharans, Tibetans consider themselves countries, some with far great historical claims than the gerrymandered partitioned region of Ireland/region of the United Kingdom. California was an Independent Republic, Corsica fought to free themselves from Genoa, to be defeated by France, who invaded because the British tried to turn the place into a Royal Navy puppet state. The Biafrians fought a war to say they were a country. The Kurds and Palestinians argue they are a country. Gotland has a historical claim to being seperate. Queensland was a seperate colony. Crimea is more Russian than Ukranian. Borneo, Punjab and Patagonia have a different flavour to the rest of the states they belong, were does the line between region, province, state, nation and country start and end?

Yes I meant teams that are members of FIFA, UEFA etc.

That is what I mean though and I totally agree with you. No matter whether it is a disputed country or a flippin cardboard box. It has power (of course not full) but a pretty substantial amount of power regarding issues that matter, prime example is education. It has it's own government, it's own assembly. In my view it is a country, not that I support it or it's Queen Bee Mother UK. And I am sure if you asked people across the world whether they thought it was a country or not, the majority would call it a country.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Capt Pat

Isn't it just Britain kind of like Surrey or Stoke?

thewobbler

Quote from: cicfada on December 28, 2011, 09:06:08 PM
People here would be giving out yards

That's where you should have stopped. Some of my fellow six county dwellers plot their days around finding things to take offence to.

ardal

Quote from: attheraces on December 28, 2011, 08:57:19 PM
thats regarding soccer, but I think mayogods question was more of a rhetorical one to be honest.

Your initial post / thread was about soccer, thus my reply.

Regarding MGHU, I doubt he could spell rhetorical, understand it's meaning, nor be able to implement it's use correctly; his brother is the longer of the 2 planks