GAA Personality of the Year

Started by SC1Sports.com, December 27, 2011, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SC1Sports.com

Any suggestions for a worthy winner of this title?

For me, the two stand-outs would have to be Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny - of course) and Pat Gilroy. The former, for obvious reasons; Gilroy for managing to produce some scintilating football but also create a style that finally meant Dublin could actually progress and cause a shake-up - never mind win!

Also don't think Colm Cooper should be too far away...

There's a poll starting here: http://bit.ly/tM1hEu if you're interested

Blowitupref

Tipperary minor football manager David Power

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

SC1Sports.com

Awk great shout actually. There were just too many possibilities to condense into just 5 names. Lucky I put an "Other" option in there!

ONeill

Depends what they mean by personality.

Cluxton has an unusual personality (maybe none, I don't know him personally) and for that reason I'd nominate him. He wouldn't collect the award anyway.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mylestheslasher

You have a point o Neill. If you go that route you'd have to consider Davy fitz too. He's a lunatic but the Passion he has for the game is unreal. After a few of the matches this year he was hardly able to talk to the interviewer.

orangeman

GAA president Christy Cooney for the special year that was in it with the Royal visit to Croker would be a contender.

Paddy Heaney had piece in today's Irish News about Chisty's take on Kieran Mc Geeney being involved in Kildare, which he opposes but was more than happy for him to be involved in the Irish party to Australia.

"Personally, I find it hard to understand why anybody would have to go outside their club for a manager.

"I would be a great believer in the homegrown situation and that we should be developing that as much as possible.

"We should have a coaching structure in our clubs that can deliver at all levels.

"I often see top-class people coaching at underage, they do a wonderful job for us, and then we feel they are not good enough for adult grades.

"I find that mind-boggling, to be honest with you."

Asked if Kieran McGeeney's presence in the Ireland management set-up contradicted his view, given that the Armagh man is an outside manager with Kildare, Cooney countered: "Kieran McGeeney is on it because of the skills that he brings to the table. Because of his knowledge of football and knowledge of coaching, I felt he was the right person to have on board.

"Do I believe in Kieran being in Kildare? I suppose I don't agree with outside managers so that is the answer to that.

"But that doesn't mean that Kieran doesn't have a contribution to make within the Association.

"I see it very differently. I see that as two separate issues.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: orangeman on December 28, 2011, 12:10:06 AM
GAA president Christy Cooney for the special year that was in it with the Royal visit to Croker would be a contender.

Paddy Heaney had piece in today's Irish News about Chisty's take on Kieran Mc Geeney being involved in Kildare, which he opposes but was more than happy for him to be involved in the Irish party to Australia.

"Personally, I find it hard to understand why anybody would have to go outside their club for a manager.

"I would be a great believer in the homegrown situation and that we should be developing that as much as possible.

"We should have a coaching structure in our clubs that can deliver at all levels.

"I often see top-class people coaching at underage, they do a wonderful job for us, and then we feel they are not good enough for adult grades.

Asked if Kieran McGeeney's presence in the Ireland management set-up contradicted his view, given that the Armagh man is an outside manager with Kildare, Cooney countered: "Kieran McGeeney is on it because of the skills that he brings to the table. Because of his knowledge of football and knowledge of coaching, I felt he was the right person to have on board.

"Do I believe in Kieran being in Kildare? I suppose I don't agree with outside managers so that is the answer to that.

"But that doesn't mean that Kieran doesn't have a contribution to make within the Association.

Presumably Christy was up in arms when Eadestown's Larry Tompkins was manager of the Cork footballers.....
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

orangeman

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 28, 2011, 12:35:22 AM

Presumably Christy was up in arms when Ellistown's Larry Tompkins was manager of the Cork footballers.....
[/b][/b]

He probably sees it as two separate issues ??

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: orangeman on December 28, 2011, 12:39:19 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 28, 2011, 12:35:22 AM

Presumably Christy was up in arms when Ellistown's Larry Tompkins was manager of the Cork footballers.....
[/b][/b]

He probably sees it as two separate issues ??

:D
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Orchardman

Don't see what the issue is here. Cooney is right lads, geezer was brought into the irish set up, as he is an irish man, so cooney didn't take in an outsider. Simple (unless some ejit wants to slabber about us being from the wee 6)

imtommygunn

Yep, they are two separate issues - unless you think that because he's an outside manager he should be punished and not allowed in his country's setup.

Farneylawd2011

Mick O Dwyer for his contribution to football.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

donegal_abu

muppet

MWWSI 2017