Can I get a UK passport?

Started by Shamrock Shore, December 22, 2011, 11:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: gallsman on December 23, 2011, 10:16:07 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 23, 2011, 10:14:06 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 23, 2011, 09:48:03 AM
Nally - I think he was just trying to get the rise out of me (or at least I hope he was) although I was once called a foreign b**tard in Castlebar once and told to go home to my own country so you know maybe its a Mayo thing?

I think it's not just Mayo. It seems to be Galway too. Went there a few years back. Sober as a judge and got turned away from two bars in one night upon showing my ID. One of those bars I got the same response you did..."f**k off back to your own country", the other the doorman just explained awfully politely that they didn't want "nordies" about.

Considering how frequently you denigrate the south as the Free State, do you not see a hint of irony or hypocrisy in this?

Hypocricy?! Ah right so if that happened you on a night out, you would come away feeling a newfound love for the 26 would you? Ever stop to think that maybe it was experiences like that which led me to be a critic of partitionism in the 26 counties?!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 23, 2011, 10:20:17 AM
Nally - I think he was just trying to get the rise out of me (or at least I hope he was) although I was once called a foreign b**tard in Castlebar once and told to go home to my own country so you know maybe its a Mayo thing?

I think it's not just Mayo. It seems to be Galway too. Went there a few years back. Sober as a judge and got turned away from two bars in one night upon showing my ID. One of those bars I got the same response you did..."f**k off back to your own country", the other the doorman just explained awfully politely that they didn't want "nordies" about.

Considering how frequently you denigrate the south as the Free State, do you not see a hint of irony or hypocrisy in this?

Hypocricy?! Ah right so if that happened you on a night out, you would come away feeling a newfound love for the 26 would you? Ever stop to think that maybe it was experiences like that which led me to be a critic of partitionism in the 26 counties?!

You constantly display a belittling, inversely snobbish attitude to people from the South, yet when the reverse happens you you're up in arms over it. Wise up.

Canalman

In fairness NS pubs in Galway city are notorious for (or were anyhows) refusing entry for any old reason.................. wouldn't really put it down to your accent/ place of birth. I have made my views known on Galway city in previous threads.

Nally Stand

Quote from: gallsman on December 23, 2011, 11:33:41 AM

You constantly display a belittling, inversely snobbish attitude to people from the South, yet when the reverse happens you you're up in arms over it. Wise up.

Again, if that happened you on a night out, you would come away feeling a newfound love for the 26? I'd say if it happened you, you'd be p****d off and would scoff at someone telling you to wise up.

As for telling me I'm snobbish?!! Bit rich?!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Canalman on December 23, 2011, 12:23:16 PM

In fairness NS pubs in Galway city are notorious for (or were anyhows) refusing entry for any old reason.................. wouldn't really put it down to your accent/ place of birth. I have made my views known on Galway city in previous threads.

I wouldn't be in any rush back anyway!!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Thats true, I went to Uni there a long time back and I used get some hassel getting into CP's, first it was your not over 21, then the law was changed, then it was your wearing the wrong shoes, then I got real nice shoes, then it was your too drunk, then I started going with zero drink, then it was too many lads, so I went with a woman, then it was the womans drunk, ffs. Galway bouncers were right gits.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Yes Myles you got it re the Ulster thing, Nally is far too sensitive. Re the f**k off back to your own country, I think they meant East of the Shannon.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 23, 2011, 01:57:49 PM

Galway has another feather in its bow to boast about.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 23, 2011, 01:08:33 PM

Again, if that happened you on a night out, you would come away feeling a newfound love for the 26? I'd say if it happened you, you'd be p****d off and would scoff at someone telling you to wise up.

Met a moaning git like you at a Mayo V Tyrone match in Healy Park. Before I go on, the operation up there is amazing, the people are lovely, the hospitality second to none. Well I had the unfortunate experience of sitting beside a middle aged woman who turned to me and out of nowhere started telling me how bad they had it all these years and ya wouldn't know the hardships, to which I told her, "it couldn't be as bad as the rain we have to put up with in Mayo". The sniggering of the Mayo crowd around soon shut her up. Other than that Healy Park, I love visiting for games.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 23, 2011, 07:36:19 PM

Mixed metaphors re. strings, caps etc. or else you're referring to a feather boa ;)

Captain Obvious

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 23, 2011, 07:34:24 PM

Thats true, I went to Uni there a long time back and I used get some hassel getting into CP's, first it was your not over 21, then the law was changed, then it was your wearing the wrong shoes, then I got real nice shoes, then it was your too drunk, then I started going with zero drink, then it was too many lads, so I went with a woman, then it was the womans drunk, ffs. Galway bouncers were right gits.

Have noticed it's better to stay away for nightclubs in Galway those bouncers have plenty of issues.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 23, 2011, 07:40:24 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 23, 2011, 01:08:33 PM

Met a moaning git like you at a Mayo V Tyrone match in Healy Park. Before I go on, the operation up there is amazing, the people are lovely, the hospitality second to none. Well I had the unfortunate experience of sitting beside a middle aged woman who turned to me and out of nowhere started telling me how bad they had it all these years and ya wouldn't know the hardships, to which I told her, "it couldn't be as bad as the rain we have to put up with in Mayo". The sniggering of the Mayo crowd around soon shut her up. Other than that Healy Park, I love visiting for games.

In fairness, a good retort :D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 23, 2011, 07:46:55 PM

Mixed metaphors re. strings, caps etc. or else you're referring to a feather boa ;)

Ha ha, very good, feather in your cap, string in your bow. Must pay attention in class.

Nally Stand

Funny you should mention it...that's what I thought about Mayo when I first learnt you were living in London.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 23, 2011, 07:35:31 PM

Yes Myles you got it re the Ulster thing, Nally is far too sensitive. Re the f**k off back to your own country, I think they meant East of the Shannon.

For a self-proclaimed anti-partitionist, you seem awfully smug and about your fellow provincialmen telling a Tyrone man he is a "nordie" who should go back to his own country. I'd have thought you'd be absolutely disgusted at such behaviour. Ahhh wait, I forgot about the whole FF I mean FG thing you have going on. (Sorry, yet again I'm mixing up FF and their identical twin, FG).