Goal Keeper gets Red Card defending himself

Started by DrinkingHarp, December 22, 2011, 04:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I guess that most of those applauding the action of 'sticking the boot in on someone lying on the  ground'  would be too busy running away scared witless (after pissing your shorts), if faced with a bit of fear.

'Those who shout the loudest are the weakest in their actions', as the saying sort of goes.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 23, 2011, 08:57:10 PM
There wasn't any problem when schmeicel did this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLtzFDU1oYI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
That's what the goalkeeper should have done instead of kicking him twice on the ground.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Main Street on December 23, 2011, 09:45:50 PM
I guess that most of those applauding the action of 'sticking the boot in on someone lying on the  ground'  would be too busy running away scared witless (after pissing your shorts), if faced with a bit of fear.

'Those who shout the loudest are the weakest in their actions', as the saying sort of goes.
What are you on about?

What exactly would have you done if you were the keeper?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 23, 2011, 09:54:43 PM

That's what the goalkeeper should have done instead of kicking him twice on the ground.

Really? This guy didn't try to assault anyone, just went for a wee run. Schmeicel intercepted him and assaulted him by firing him of the pitch. There's wasn't a word about it at the time cos yer mam got what he deserved.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: hardstation on December 23, 2011, 10:45:14 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 23, 2011, 10:44:14 PM

Really? This guy didn't try to assault anyone, just went for a wee run. Schmeicel intercepted him and assaulted him by firing him of the pitch. There's wasn't a word about it at the time cos yer mam got what he deserved.
Nice.
:D f**king predictive text. Apologies to the mothers of all posters on this thread.

thewobbler

Main Street, you're now lost in a world of generalisations and presumptions. Well done you.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 23, 2011, 10:44:14 PM

Yes really! pushing a "fan" off the field of play > kicking a "fan" on the ground.

SLIGONIAN

I hope this happens to the fellas saying the keeper should be prosecuted.....especially david, you seem to have a serious lack of compassion for the victim in this case the keeper. The perpertriator SHOULD always be dealt with more severly, there is a serious flaw in the law that sometimes the perpertraitor is protected. But remember if there was no first action there would be no need to defend yourself. This happens all the time and i always have sympathy for the retaliator and victims and i would love to live in world where the perpertraitors were dealt with way more severely.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

DrinkingHarp

After watching the video I believe the keeper should have let loose with the boot to keep the man down. It was an unprovoked attack on the keeper who has only a split-second to determine what is going on. His response to kick again when the man is down is right, you can see the "Fan" trying to get back up.

After Monica Seles was stabbed in the back by a "Fan" these sports fiqures assume they would be protected while working, it doesn't always happen as evidence of the video.

And the red card? The player is suppose to let an attack on his own body go on so he doesn't get the card....thats absurd.

Can you compare it to your own job? You are sitting at your desk and some stranger enters your shop, walks up and attacks you......would you hit once and say thats enough? Now since you defended yourself, your manager pulls you aside and says "well you hit the man there so you are now out of work."

There are nutjobs everywhere you have to watch your back and sometimes have to defend yourself......the keeper was just and the ref made a bad call.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

ross4life

Not sure how i would have reacted to a situation like that? people are going to have different opinions on how to defend themselves that case with the Mayo farmer Padraig Nally spring to mind.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

trileacman

Quote from: hardstation on December 24, 2011, 02:02:57 AM
No. Ref made the right call. Violent conduct on the field of play. Had to go.

Well done to the 'keeper for booting him. Cnut deserved it.

Funny my opinion would be the exact opposite in both cases. Can't understand why the ref would send him off. The guy ran at him and kicked him, he's going to react somehow. Continue playing the f**king match and let the courts/police sort out the rest. The only thing I feel is that kicking a guy on the ground is a trampish act and the keeper shouldn't have reacted thus.

Someone said the keeper should face charges, wouldn't agree. He really broke no laws but just losing the plot and wailing into someone on the ground is a bit of an over-reaction. Would he have done the same if the guy had slapped across the back of the head? Or if he just seen this guy running towards him would he be right in immediately assuming he had a knife, throwing him to the ground and kick the f**k out of him?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyHarp

I'd consider myself a fairly mild mannered bloke! But my house got broken into a few months ago (and again quite recently) and I think I started a thread at the time that if I'd caught the little hoors in the act, I honestly would not be able to control what actions I might take! I'd say a few hefty kicks up the hole would be the least I would be dishing out given half a chance! So I draw similar parallels to this goalkeeper and I ask the lads on here, if they walked in and found someone robbing their house, what would they do? Make sure you nullified the threat or push them away until the police game? Just because the law is an ass doesn't mean you have to be!
That was never a square ball!!

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: hardstation on December 24, 2011, 02:02:57 AM
No. Ref made the right call. Violent conduct on the field of play. Had to go.
Well done to the 'keeper for booting him. Cnut deserved it.

By that logic, a team or every team can hire out some idiot to attack a player to get the player tossed. What would the fine be 100, 500? A slap on the wrist that some owner or management can pay and use that as part of their game plan.
It should only apply to people involved within the match - players, ref or others involved and if a player jumps into the stands.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

sammymaguire

Goalie done the right thing. If he let yer man away with his terrible carry on it wouldn't exactly discourage any other head the ball doing something similar.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

DuffleKing

If i was that keeper and i was attacked in this manner and the nutjob had fallen i'd have been down on top of him hammering the fcuker until either a - there was no possibility of him attacking me again or b - stewards / police have him restrained.

i'd expect little more than a pat on the back from the ref for protecting the remaining players and himself.

If you are attacked out of the blue going about your business then you are entitled to defend yourself in my book. The attacker is taking the risks - he cannot be afforded the luxury of attacking someone then demanding restraint after he has placed the victim in a position where they reasonably fear for their life.