Leinster club final

Started by Jinxy, December 18, 2011, 02:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Give and Go

The Goal looked a clear square ball to me; given he had blown an earlier square ball which was less obvious I think the ref had a poor game. Add to that the ridiculous yellow cards he dished out (as usual) and the missing of the the third man in at the melee.....the free at the end was prob correct but marginal and dont think it should have been given. Inconsistency is the bane of football; he blew one handpass today which was no different than 90% of the others... why?

yellowcard

Garrycastle have earned this Leinster title after knocking on the door for a while. CCan anyone clarify the rule 'free from where the ball lands?' Is this from where it first bounces or where it actally stops. And what if someone kicks it back in the opposite direction? Is the free then taken from where that player kicked the ball.

The last free kick that Garrycastle got to win the game seemed to have been awarded from where the ball stopped if memory serves me right...

INDIANA

I dont think there was an issue with the free at the end -it looked a free to me and its where the ball first bounces.

rather the antics of some of their players at the end left a lot to be desired IMO. 

blast05

Indiana, I thought it was only 1 player involved at end from Gcastle ... and do you know what was said and who started it or are you just speculating?

coosanglen

''the free at the end was prob correct but marginal and dont think it should have been given'', if you thought the free was correct, why do you think it shouldnt have been given?

nrico2006

Whats the craic with Garrycastle Number 14's hair?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

skeog

its a medical condition dumwit

Croí na hÉireann

Very enjoyable day in O'Connor Park yesterday, delighted to see Garrycastle fall over the line in the end. A lot of talk about Brigids not showing up but Garrycastle simply tore into them. They were out on their feet with 5 mins left in the 1st half such was the effort they put in. Brigids were very slow to make changes on Dessie, he must have had four before his marker was moved and not a sign of a sweeper. If Paddy Mulvillle was on form the game would have been over at ht. Winning of the game was in midfield though I thought, Shaugho and Seanie O'Donoghue won it hands down, Seanie was my motm, great hands, great in possession and some fantastic kick passes. Gary Dolan for a man who is only back after an operation, was everywhere, don't think I've ever seen him look so fit, another goal when it counted.

Looked very shaky at the back in the 2nd half, the harsh early card for Henson didn't help him and Paddy Andrews led Gaffey a merry dance in the last 15 mins. At a loss as to what he has to do to get a run out with the Dubs. Referee was overly fussy at the start I thought but eventually let it flow. Have yet to watch it back and didn't see what the final free was given for but good to hear it wasn't controversial. There'll be good banter in Athlone now over the Christmas, who'll get to wear the green and red? Brigids will be favourites but not by much in my book, would be some craic if they put it in Pairc Ciarán.

All in all it was a great day for Garrycastle and another first for Westmeath football. Well done lads.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

INDIANA

Quote from: blast05 on December 19, 2011, 12:32:36 AM
Indiana, I thought it was only 1 player involved at end from Gcastle ... and do you know what was said and who started it or are you just speculating?

I'm just asking the question why players when they win a trophy start rows with the opposition at the end. And there was more then one. Scandalous behaviour in my opinion and one reason why I wont be shouting for them against Roscommon.

imtommygunn

Quote from: INDIANA on December 19, 2011, 07:31:54 PM

I'm just asking the question why players when they win a trophy start rows with the opposition at the end. And there was more then one. Scandalous behaviour in my opinion and one reason why I wont be shouting for them against Roscommon.
How do you know he started it?

From what I could see the brigids fella wouldn't shake hands with him and the guy kicked off. Plenty would.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 19, 2011, 07:44:41 PM
From what I could see the brigids fella wouldn't shake hands with him and the guy kicked off. Plenty would.

Very, very few would. Most of us have known far more disappointment than glory and we know if we are lucky enough to win you always have some respect for the other fella.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 19, 2011, 07:44:41 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 19, 2011, 07:31:54 PM

How do you know he started it?

Have to say from my angle which was probably closer then yours unless you were at the game as well- things looked remarkably different.
But i'm not going to labour the point- only that I wont be shouting for Garrycastle in the semi. Either way the winners of the all-ireland club title is coming out of the other side of the draw in my view

ross4life

Bookies reckon it will be repeat of this years final But then again they thought it was going to be Kilmacud v Nemo final last Feb.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lone Shark

Quote from: ross4life on December 19, 2011, 09:07:38 PM
Bookies reckon it will be repeat of this years final But then again they thought it was going to be Kilmacud v Nemo final last Feb.

I never like this combination of words, particularly as it gets widely abused in this country. Bookies, proper ones anyway, rarely "reckon" that anything will or won't happen. They merely assign a probability to something and price it up accordingly. The current odds from Powers suggest a 61% chance of Brigids making the final and 39% Garrycastle. I'd be a bit closer to 65/35 myself, but there's no such thing as suggesting one side will or won't.

emmetryan

The two semi-final pairings look particularly close. The derby game should be really close. I was at both provincial finals, plenty to like about both teams but also lots for each to exploit.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com