Cavity wall insulation

Started by wanderer, December 16, 2011, 11:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

Of course you would have ventilation, just not through every nook and cranny.

wanderer

I'm living in Fermanagh.

I am going to insulate the attic with 100mm Thick foilback insulation as well (hopefully over christmas). It was ridiculous to heat over the cold spell we had and when I'm doing it, I want to make a job of it

The insulated plasterboard is not an easy solution for the house unfortunately. One of the rooms has 3 outside walls, another problem would be a door is hinged against an outside wall with built in wardrobe on the other side, so there would be a fair bit of work to do to get it even ready for the plasterboard. The other question I have wondered about it is, with the bathroom suite being against the wall you couldn't use it in there. Kitchen units would prevent you doing the kitchen, and with the front door it would be intricate trying to do the hall? So really you can only insulate the bedrooms properly?
We are living in the house, so in theory we could move around the rooms while things are being done but really you would want the house as a shell to do it properly and then decorate/re-furb the rooms from there?

I have read about moisture bridging, and scare stories about it but I was wondering If anyone actually knew someone who was affected directly? I keep hearing "I Heard about this fella" etc but haven't known anyone who it has happened too.
Also, it is meant to be guaranteed
"The Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency provides independent 25 year guarantees for Cavity Wall Insulation fitted by registered installers in the UK and Channel islands."

balladmaker

I used insulated plasterboard on the ceilings only, already had kingspan in the cavity walls so didn't consider using insulated plasterboard on outer walls. 

Also went for composite outer doors, and no letterbox, seemed stupid to pay extra for the composite door only to cut a hole in it.  Also, didn't go for trickle vents in the windows.  To remove moisture, fitted a yoke that filters the moisture out of the air continuously.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: balladmaker on December 19, 2011, 07:26:09 PM
I used insulated plasterboard on the ceilings only, already had kingspan in the cavity walls so didn't consider using insulated plasterboard on outer walls. 

Also went for composite outer doors, and no letterbox, seemed stupid to pay extra for the composite door only to cut a hole in it.  Also, didn't go for trickle vents in the windows. To remove moisture, fitted a yoke that filters the moisture out of the air continuously.
What is this? I put a Drimaster in but I've seen no discernable benefits. I wish I had put in a decent MHRV system in.

balladmaker

Drimaster as well, have two of them fitted due to layout of house.  Are you getting condensation on the windows? Do you have ventilation in the roof space?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: balladmaker on December 20, 2011, 09:07:56 PM
Drimaster as well, have two of them fitted due to layout of house.  Are you getting condensation on the windows? Do you have ventilation in the roof space?
One particular room is wringing every morning, especially this time of year. It's definitely colder in that roombut always put it down to being north facing. I might throw a temperature and relative humidity data logger in it over the next week or so and see what the facts are.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on December 20, 2011, 10:43:41 PM
Do you have an old house Tony?  Stonewalls?
The house is 4 years old! I'm not sure what the deal is in that one room. Wouldn't be surprised if the builders ran out of insulation and didn't bother! I'm getting a boroscope from work to take a peek in the cavity.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Take Your Points on December 20, 2011, 11:30:39 PM
One of these is very useful for finding cold spots and draughts, we are using one in school to detect heat loss.

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/TLD100/
I'm gonna get a thermal imaging camera from work too. All resources will be deployed!

Mayo4Sam

Wanderer, I used to work for Sustainable Energy Ireland, ran a scheme for houses getting insulation, so i should know a thing or two. I'd give you the following advice:
Attic insulation, if you can afford it go for at least 200mm attic insulation, one layer between the joists and the next perpendicular to it, don't insults right up to the edge, of the roof, the space is needed for ventilation
Windows - at no stage is it economically viable to change ur windows, the difference between double and triple and even single to triple doesn't stack up, good draft proofing is a big help though and curtains.
Cavity - the problems with cavity were with an older type of bead that seems to hold moisture, I don't know of one installer in Ireland still using these, you should have no problem with moisture build up.
External - preferable to cavity but significantly more expensive, basically enveloping your house. If it was me cavity is what I'd go for.
Ventilation - your house is 30 years old, this is never going to be an issue, air will always get in
Internal insulation - for the hassle I don't think it's worth it, redecorating rooms, cavity isn't awful expensive and is hassle free.

I know a fews lads based in Tyrone, down and Cavan if you wanted more options on price
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

lawnseed

for my part i'm going to save this thread. i'm truely moved  :'( that three estimed posters agree with me on 'cavity wall insulation' and so near christmas.. :'( this is worse than toy story 3 :'( :'(

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 21, 2011, 02:15:25 AM
Internal insulation - for the hassle I don't think it's worth it, redecorating rooms, cavity isn't awful expensive and is hassle free.

Had this done recently (dry-lining of the external facing walls) with SEAI's grant assistance and although extremely happy with the end result it was indeed ructions to have it installed -- usual internal building works' story of dust everywhere, furniture shifted, etc. It has made, however, a massive difference to heat retention.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

wanderer

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 21, 2011, 02:15:25 AM
Wanderer, I used to work for Sustainable Energy Ireland, ran a scheme for houses getting insulation, so i should know a thing or two. I'd give you the following advice:
Attic insulation, if you can afford it go for at least 200mm attic insulation, one layer between the joists and the next perpendicular to it, don't insults right up to the edge, of the roof, the space is needed for ventilation
Windows - at no stage is it economically viable to change ur windows, the difference between double and triple and even single to triple doesn't stack up, good draft proofing is a big help though and curtains.
Cavity - the problems with cavity were with an older type of bead that seems to hold moisture, I don't know of one installer in Ireland still using these, you should have no problem with moisture build up.
External - preferable to cavity but significantly more expensive, basically enveloping your house. If it was me cavity is what I'd go for.
Ventilation - your house is 30 years old, this is never going to be an issue, air will always get in

I know a fews lads based in Tyrone, down and Cavan if you wanted more options on price

Cheers Mayo4Sam, would be much appreciated if you gave me details on other installers. Always good to get a few prices

For attic insulation I'm told the QuinnTherm foilback 100mm is similar U values to 200mm of rockwool type insulation? I can get decent price on it through a contact which is why I'm leaning heavily towards it

Mayo4Sam

I don't know the product so can't comment on it.
I'll send you on a few numbers

Radda bout yeee

http://www.okaneplumbingandelectrics.com/

As far a s I know this company from my locality are one of the biggest outfits at carrying out this work north and south.
Owner is a great supporter of GAA if that influences you!

Mayo4Sam

That was one of the ones I was going to give you, Maurice is a sound fella and probably the cheapest outfit in Ireland