2012 - What will be the big news?

Started by thejuice, December 14, 2011, 12:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Who's up for a bit of crystal ball gazing, Nostrodamus type carry-on?

I was wondering what will be the big talking points/trends for 2012. Can we narrow it down to 3 topics each and see what we come up with (and of course how wrong will we all be).

1. End of the €uro
Yes, pretty obvious one but I don't think it live to see 2013. It's already like that parrot in Monty Python.

2. Fracking
Shale gas exploration that is being proposed in parts of northern Europe and much of the west of Ireland. It has split opinions over in the USA and its about to hit our shores in a big way too.

Much like war, the truth seems to be the first thing to go the way of the Dodo when it comes to environmental concerns and fossil fuel exploration. And that can be said for both sides of the argument.

3. Methane calthrate
This is a bit of a wild card but it could have very serious consequences. It's nothing to do with cows farting by the way.

Large fields of frozen Methane in the Siberian Artic perma-frost is starting to melt and is being released into the atmosphere. In an area of 10,000 square miles of sea off the East Siberian coast there have been hundreds of methane plumes being detected. This has  increased methane levels in the air by 100 times. 

But I asked my English "mate" Ted who reads the Sun, eats pork pies and drives a white transit about what he thinks about it all. He said; "ah 'ere, that climate stuff is all a load a bladdy non sense. And the Euro, no bladdy frog or kraut is gunner tell me what te do. fracking? yew can do whatever yew fracking want to as far as i'm concerned".
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

angermanagement

Shamrock Shore

World ends on Dec 21 I think may be the biggest news.

southdown

I think Iran could feature heavily in 2012.

thejuice

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 14, 2011, 12:30:39 PM

But there wont be any newspapers on the 22nd so it wont be news will it?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Shamrock Shore

QuoteBut there wont be any newspapers on the 22nd so it wont be news will it?

The Longford Layder will be published, as usual. Will take more than the end of the wurrild to halt publication.

Sarkozy will be dumped
Obama will scrape back unless the Reps pull a rabbit out of the hat
Joan Burton will leave cabinet
Dublin will regain Sam and Kilkenny will retain Liam
Carlow to win O'Byrne Cup
Cavan relegated to Division 5 in the League

Hashtag

Peter and Jordan will get back together. Its what we all want.  :'(

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: thejuice on December 14, 2011, 12:20:25 PM
3. Methane calthrate
This is a bit of a wild card but it could have very serious consequences. It's nothing to do with cows farting by the way.

Large fields of frozen Methane in the Siberian Artic perma-frost is starting to melt and is being released into the atmosphere. In an area of 10,000 square miles of sea off the East Siberian coast there have been hundreds of methane plumes being detected. This has  increased methane levels in the air by 100 times. 

And which is 20 times more potent as a 'greenhouse gas' than CO2 (though it sublimates to CO2 in the atmosphere eventually) -- all part of the tipping point (positive feedback loop).  :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

haveaharp

Quote from: thejuice on December 14, 2011, 12:36:56 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 14, 2011, 12:30:39 PM

But there wont be any newspapers on the 22nd so it wont be news will it?

Olly will be broadcasting from his bunker so there will be.

Windmill abu

QuotePeter and Jordan will get back together. Its what we all want.

Does Phillip Jordan come out of retirement to join the Fermanagh Panel
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Hashtag

Quote from: Windmill abu on December 14, 2011, 01:06:30 PM
QuotePeter and Jordan will get back together. Its what we all want.

Does Phillip Jordan come out of retirement to join the Fermanagh Panel

LOLZ

Radda bout yeee

I have a feeling someone major will be assassinated - just feel it in my water!!

haveaharp

fearglasmor

Armaghgeddon

A terrorist attack somewhere around the world. Something bigger than 9/11.