WELL DONE DECLAN BOGUE - SUNDAY TIMES SPORTS BOOK OF THE YEAR

Started by raisins, December 07, 2011, 04:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hashtag on December 21, 2011, 11:57:07 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 21, 2011, 11:23:29 AM
A colleague in work lent me a copy of this publication. I got to about page 3 before I came across the first factual error. I got to page 77 and came across a scandalously misused apostrophe. That was enough for me. I have a fair idea what happens anyway (SPOILER ALERT - Donegal win Ulster but lose AI semi-final to Dublin), so the remainder of the book will probably hold no real surprises.

How in the name of all that is good and holy can The Sunday Times reward this book with such a prestigious title, when basic grammar competence is absent?

I have recently purchased a multi-fuel stove. Suffice to say it burns books too.

Agree with the comments re. Clerkin and Cunningham though.

What kind of stove did you get? I bought a Tara stove at the start of the year. Got it cheap enough too. Went for the Non-Boiler model as the layout of my house supported this. Blast out good  heat.What do you mostly use on it. I use coal, turf, and logs.
Sam could call around to your gaff to discuss. FYI I have a wee Morso Squirrel in the living room. Lovely job.

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2011, 11:33:38 AM
A colleague in work lent you a book and you are considering burning it?

You're dead on.

He didn't return the one I lent him. Why do you assume future tense, by the way?

Quote from: Hashtag on December 21, 2011, 11:57:07 AM
A colleague in work lent me a copy of this publication. I got to about page 3 before I came across the first factual error. I got to page 77 and came across a scandalously misused apostrophe. That was enough for me. I have a fair idea what happens anyway (SPOILER ALERT - Donegal win Ulster but lose AI semi-final to Dublin), so the remainder of the book will probably hold no real surprises.

How in the name of all that is good and holy can The Sunday Times reward this book with such a prestigious title, when basic grammar competence is absent?

I have recently purchased a multi-fuel stove. Suffice to say it burns books too.

Agree with the comments re. Clerkin and Cunningham though.

What kind of stove did you get? I bought a Tara stove at the start of the year. Got it cheap enough too. Went for the Non-Boiler model as the layout of my house supported this. Blast out good  heat.What do you mostly use on it. I use coal, turf, and logs.

Horse Flame. Not great with the logs, although the logs might be a bit damp. In a smokeless area, so briquettes and furnacite mainly. Did you get your stove from Kildress Plumbing Supplies?

Quote from: ONeill on December 21, 2011, 12:02:51 PM

Are semicolons difficult to find on the word processor?

Do you mean 'needless to say' or 'suffice it to say'?

Surely you should have spotted the errant apostrophe whilst proof-reading the manuscript?  Hence the overtly aggressive nature of your riposte.

Would you not agree that an award-winning professional journalist should have a reasonable grasp of English?

Why do feel the need to compare my post to his book?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hashtag

I got mine in Armagh Electrical. Here is a spreadsheet I done to compare prices of the same model.
Mullen Domestic
dalys (cmore)
Armagh Electrical
Alexander Mills
Miller Wholesale

ONeill

Surely you should have spotted the errant apostrophe whilst proof-reading the manuscript?  Hence the overtly aggressive nature of your riposte.

I've no idea who proof-read the book. As I read it on my leather sofa I was struck by the impressive turn of phrase and general grammatical accuracy, for a Fermanagh man. If you read of some the great classics or recent major pieces of work there's a fine chance you'll find at least one error in punctuation. My highlighting of your minor bloopers was to show how easily it can happen.

I have made four mistakes in the above post. Can you spot them?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.