McMahon was attacked in Ulster semi

Started by sheamy, December 06, 2011, 03:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=158943

Tyrone county board secretary Dominic McCaughey has claimed that Joe McMahon was deliberately struck during Tyrone's Ulster SFC semi-final defeat to Donegal in June.

McMahon was forced off after shipping a high challenge from a Donegal opponents and Mickey Harte's team went on to lose the game in Clones by a single point, while the Tir Chonaill men marched on to the final against Derry, whom they defeated to clinch their first Anglo-Celt Cup since 1992.

"Tyrone were incapable of breaking through the Donegal defence, were guilty of poor free-taking and were unfortunate to lose full-back Joe McMahon through injury, from a deliberate and cynical punch to the head," McCaughey said in his report to the County Convention.

Radda bout yeee

Controversial!! - Does he have evidence I wonder?

Applesisapples

I remember that incident, far be it for me to agree with anyone for Tyrone but I think he is right, it was a cynical challenge deserving of a red card.

eddie d

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 06, 2011, 03:29:38 PM
I remember that incident, far be it for me to agree with anyone for Tyrone but I think he is right, it was a cynical challenge deserving of a red card.

+1  should of been a red card, tryone would of won and the ulster final could of,dare i say it, been exciting

screenexile

Was a red card. I think it was more wreckless than deliberate but a red card no less. This was all dealt with at the time through the papers and even on here and the young lad even apologised to McMahon after the incident.

I don't see any need for this dickhead to drag it up again!!

Nally Stand

As I mentioned back in August:
Quote from: Nally Stand on August 31, 2011, 11:46:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2011, 07:00:54 PM
It was a bad tackle and McLoone was lucky not to get sent off. That doesn't mean he was sent on the pitch to intentionally injure another player, quite possibly seriously. Especially when he's one of your most promising young players who excelled in last year's U-21s and this year's league games and someone you want back in the first team as soon as possible.

I was told a story from two people independently from other, several days apart, who were both close behind the Donegal dugout and who both overheard a certain statement which would question that.

These stories do come and go, but I did hear it from two trustworthy sources (one exceptionally so), who both reported hearing (word for word) the exact same instruction issued to the player.
And the timing seems to support it:
49mins...The player comes on as a sub, takes out Joe on 51mins. Four minutes later, McMahon leaves the pitch with concussion, the Donegal player gets a yellow carded for striking before being taken off again on 61 mins.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Wee Roddy

Your dead right screen, he is a egotisical man and its not his placetotalk about football matters. Last year he questioned the players commitment. He thinks he IS Tyrone football

Applesisapples

The cynic in me would think it may be something to do with taking the spotlight off the violence at Tyrone Club and Ladies matches and the County Board's pathetic attempts to deal with it.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 06, 2011, 04:26:22 PM
The cynic in me would think it may be something to do with taking the spotlight off the violence at Tyrone Club and Ladies matches and the County Board's pathetic attempts to deal with it.

The realist in me ( :P) would point out that it is part of his annual report which comes out at this time every year, and always has some little eye-catching claim or two in it.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

J70

And once again we have a Donegal player being tried on the board based on anonymously spread rumours.

tyssam5

Quote from: J70 on December 06, 2011, 06:01:34 PM
And once again we have a Donegal player being tried on the board based on anonymously spread rumours.

Didn't know that, what punishments can we hand down? I mainly thought we just talking shite on here?

J70

Quote from: tyssam5 on December 06, 2011, 06:28:38 PM

Didn't know that, what punishments can we hand down? I mainly thought we just talking shite on here?

Well that"s all right then. Internet rumours don't have personal consequences for the people involved. Players' and managers' reputations don't matter.

sheamy

It's not anonymous. The Tyrone county secretary said it in his report. I'd say he signed it too.

J70

Quote from: sheamy on December 06, 2011, 07:11:21 PM

It's not anonymous. The Tyrone county secretary said it in his report. I'd say he signed it too.

Maybe you should read through the thread again.