The Fight of Their Lives

Started by Tony Baloney, December 05, 2011, 11:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Brutal to watch the fight and the aftermath but McClellan and Benn were giving the people what they wanted.

Very sad.

ONeill

Those first 2 rounds were something else - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc-G4KMOllU

I loved that whole British middleweight/supermiddleweight period between 88-96. Although the quality of fighers were dubious in terms of world class and some of the belts questionable, Watson, Eubank, Benn and Collins had some humdingers.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DownFanatic

McClellan's coach at the time seemed to be a rocket. Should the referee have stopped the fight? Should McClelland's corner have thrown the towel in?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on December 06, 2011, 12:09:33 AM
Those first 2 rounds were something else - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc-G4KMOllU

I loved that whole British middleweight/supermiddleweight period between 88-96. Although the quality of fighers were dubious in terms of world class and some of the belts questionable, Watson, Eubank, Benn and Collins had some humdingers.
A lot of toe-to-toe banging in those fights which made for great viewing but ruined Watson and McClellan. It's the risk and all fighters know the score.

ross4life

Difficult watch alright, McClellan's dopey coach didn't help matters should have picked up on the unusual blinking,breathing problems during the fight. He had a dark side (torturing animals) but it's still sad to see a young man waste way so bad & have absolutely no quality of life.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Forever Green

Seen this last night. Tragic stuff. Just multiple f**k ups by different folk involved and should have been prevented

Gaffer

repeated on itv4 next tuesday at 9pm
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

brokencrossbar1

Have to agree with O'Neill, there were some great fights during that period, throw in Leonard, Hearns, Haglar  and Duran and there were some magic middle weights around at the time.

ONeill

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 06, 2011, 10:32:23 PM
Have to agree with O'Neill, there were some great fights during that period, throw in Leonard, Hearns, Haglar  and Duran and there were some magic middle weights around at the time.

Another tragic but enthralling round - Watson v Eubank II round 11. Why he was allowed to go out for the 12th I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SrCVph8-u0

ONeill

moysider

These guys were at an entirely different level again altogether. Hagler/Hearns - 85 I think it was - must be one of the greatest fights ever. Only lasted about 5 rounds but........

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: moysider on December 07, 2011, 09:46:45 AM

These guys were at an entirely different level again altogether. Hagler/Hearns - 85 I think it was - must be one of the greatest fights ever. Only lasted about 5 rounds but........

Completely agree that these boys were at a different level, just pointing out it was a golden age for middle weight boxers. In fact maybe its rose tinted glasses but I thought from mid 80s to mid 90s was a golden age for boxing as a whole.

muppet

The best British talent of that era was Kirkland Laing here beating a 31 year old Roberto Duran: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEMP6N3VhhE.

Wasted it all though.
MWWSI 2017

Capt Pat

Watching the Eubank Watson fight. If the ref had given Eubank the mandatory 8 count Watson might not have got hit. Also at the end obviously Watson should not have gone back in for round 12 but after the ref stops it one of his corner men hops into the ring to give out to the ref for stopping the fight.