Clarkson does it again

Started by Dougal Maguire, December 05, 2011, 09:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

If anyone had ever read one of his books - which i recall are just collections of his newspaper columns and he thoughts on general subjects as well as cars - would know that he commonly goes down this line. If 100 people read his book, I think 99 could find something to be outraged at. The other person is probably too stupid to realise what they've read!

theskull1

Quote from: Bingo on December 06, 2011, 09:39:39 AM
If anyone had ever read one of his books - which i recall are just collections of his newspaper columns and he thoughts on general subjects as well as cars - would know that he commonly goes down this line. If 100 people read his book, I think 99 could find something to be outraged at. The other person is probably too stupid to realise what they've read!

I'd be of the opinion that out of 100 people that read his books, 100 of them are brain dead. It must be like shooting fish in a barrel to the likes of Clarkson.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 06, 2011, 08:12:36 AM
Imagine having lost someone that way (suicide or by accident) and having to read that.

Personally, I'd just think he was a financially driven attention seeking tosser and not go out of my way to get offended.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

muppet

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/10/europe/bbc-jeremy-clarkson/index.html

[i]Suspended by the BBC
By CNN Staff
Updated 1:07 PM ET, Tue March 10, 2015
(CNN)The BBC has suspended Jeremy Clarkson, the host of car show "Top Gear," following "a fracas with a BBC producer," the broadcaster said in a statement.

"Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended pending an investigation," they said. "No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday."

In May this year, the television presenter asked forgiveness after using a racist term during a taping of the show.[/i]
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Top Gear is a symptom of the BBC's bloated structure. They've got more money than sense. The way these lads squander license payer money is going to be the BBC's undoing if they're not careful. Public support for the license fee is shaky at best, it would only take one politician to fire up a populist bandwagon to scrap the thing and gut the BBC, and it might just happen as these celebrity sex abuse scandals keep emerging.

Agent Orange

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 10, 2015, 06:39:36 PM
Top Gear is a symptom of the BBC's bloated structure. They've got more money than sense. The way these lads squander license payer money is going to be the BBC's undoing if they're not careful. Public support for the license fee is shaky at best, it would only take one politician to fire up a populist bandwagon to scrap the thing and gut the BBC, and it might just happen as these celebrity sex abuse scandals keep emerging.

Eamonn when you are writing your letter to Santa this year, don't forget to ask him to get you a life, you sad bastard. Now do us all a favour and f**k off.

Eamonnca1

Thank you for that little pearl of wisdom, Orange. I'm sure everyone appreciates you speaking on their behalf.

gallsman

Clarkson is an obnoxious turd. I don't understand the popularity of the show given their awful and frequently racist attempts at comedy increasingly overshadow the cars with every new season.

thewobbler

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 10, 2015, 06:39:36 PM

You seem to be a bit confused here. Top Gear is one of the most profitable shows ever made by the BBC.

Eamonnca1

Profitable? How so? Selling it to foreign networks?

gallsman

It makes the BBC something like 150m a year.

Agent Orange

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 10, 2015, 07:21:58 PM
Thank you for that little pearl of wisdom, Orange. I'm sure everyone appreciates you speaking on their behalf.

I am sure everyone appreciates you talking crap, again, as the wobbler has said, TG is a huse moneyspinner for the BBC.

Rupert Murdoch is sitting with an open cheque book at the thoughts of Clarkson getting his P45 from Auntie Beeb, but the BBC aren't that stupid. Clarkson, unlike you, is a winner.

thewobbler

Quote from: gallsman on March 10, 2015, 07:25:38 PM
Clarkson is an obnoxious turd. I don't understand the popularity of the show given their awful and frequently racist attempts at comedy increasingly overshadow the cars with every new season.
Perhaps. But you know what, even though they've bled their best ideas to death a long time ago, it's still more entertaining than 90% of UK made TV shows. I've no interest in cars and yet I'd still flick on reruns on Dave and BBC3 as there's usuallg nothing else to watch. The cinematography and locations are always worth watching.

Eamon, networking, franchising, DVDs and memorabilia. It's in over 100 countries and don't forget that the rebooted Top Gear spawned 1000 imitators across every lifestyle show. It's past its day, but it was a bloody good tv show.

GJL

I remember when TopGear was a good show that was all about new cars coming out and a bit of motorsport. The cars now are a side show and what ever motorsport that is on it is always about one of those 3 knobs driving the car as opposed to a relevant racing/rally driver. The 3 boys have made the show all about them. Some of it can be good but it is mostly a pile of shite like that show a couple of weeks ago about which of the 3 could make the best ambulance. It was complete rubbish and I can't understand how the powers that be in the BBC thought it was worth showing. Clarkson seems to be untouchable and that will prove to be the case again this time.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: thewobbler on March 10, 2015, 07:49:11 PM
Eamon, networking, franchising, DVDs and memorabilia. It's in over 100 countries and don't forget that the rebooted Top Gear spawned 1000 imitators across every lifestyle show. It's past its day, but it was a bloody good tv show.

I see. I stand corrected.

I happen to like the show too when it's good, I just take the racism and other obnoxiousness as the price we have to pay for watching the good stuff. I know it's a lot more centered on the three boys than the old format, but the current format has its points. You could face the camera and talk about the advantages and disadvantages of each car. Or you could have three fellas slagging each other off for their choice of car and watch them defend it, which gets the same point across in an entertaining way.  If they could just stop the race-baiting and slagging off road users that don't drive, that'd be great.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Agent Orange on March 10, 2015, 07:46:25 PM
Clarkson, unlike you, is a winner.

That's great. I'll be thinking about your words of wisdom later when I head off in the motor up to San Francisco with the roof down because it's such a nice day here.   8)