Martin O'Neill to Sunderland

Started by oakleaflad, December 02, 2011, 10:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

It has turned sour.He is a driven man,and earnestly desired to follow in the footsteps of his old boss,Clough,and win Champions League.Never going to happen now.

orangeman

Paolo Di Canio by all accounts.

Must have been lined up.

Myles Na G.

Over rated manager. Achieved less at Celtic after spending a small fortune than WGS did working on a shoe string. Spent another fortune at Villa and had them treading water. Has spent £30m at Sunderland without any visible improvement in their league position.

snoopdog

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 31, 2013, 03:58:13 PM
Over rated manager. Achieved less at Celtic after spending a small fortune than WGS did working on a shoe string. Spent another fortune at Villa and had them treading water. Has spent £30m at Sunderland without any visible improvement in their league position.
g
What about what he did with Leicester city? He got Celtic to a European final which is massive considering what foreign or half decent footballer wants to play in Scotland. Your being very harsh

lynchbhoy

Interesting to see that some people think MON is over rated!!
Hard to comprehend this other than to think this is purely subjective.

MON has a good record but the players just didn't do it at Sunderland.
Laughable comparing or venerating strachan!

Sunderland looking to employ Di Canio - a man with hardly any exp!!

They deserve to ho down.
Hope McLean moves on to a bigger and better club now!

T Fearon

A very good manager,but like most managers,has a few blemishes,most notably throwing away the 2004/05 SPL in the dying minutes at Fir Park,and now this failure at Sunderland.

Peak years were 1997/2003 with Leicester and Celtic and I think sadly now past his best.Had his eye on Man Utd job for far too long,it was never going to happen,and I think being out of the game for nearly a season and a half in 2010-2011 didn't help either.

Minder

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 31, 2013, 04:19:21 PM
Interesting to see that some people think MON is over rated!!
Hard to comprehend this other than to think this is purely subjective.

MON has a good record but the players just didn't do it at Sunderland.
Laughable comparing or venerating strachan!

Sunderland looking to employ Di Canio - a man with hardly any exp!!

They deserve to ho down.
Hope McLean moves on to a bigger and better club now!

I would say he is at his level, he is pretty limited. What size of club do you think he should be at?

As for O'Neill he was a decent manager at a time, nothing more, the results don't lie. If he was as good as some of you are making out he would have had a bigger job.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

T Fearon

Di Canio mightn't keep Sunderland up,but he might break Ellis Short's jaw!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: snoopdog on March 31, 2013, 04:18:16 PM
g
What about what he did with Leicester city? He got Celtic to a European final which is massive considering what foreign or half decent footballer wants to play in Scotland. Your being very harsh
He did okay with Leicester and he did well enough with Celtic. I'm not saying he didn't, I'm saying his achievements have been over stated. He was given money at Celtic that the likes of Strachan, Mowbray and Neil Lennon can only dream about. Lennon was speculating the other day about the unlikely prospect of him being given £10m to spend. O'Neill was given much more than that, yet he was never able to take Celtic beyond the group stages in the CL. Both Strachan and Lennon have done this with teams put together with spare change. He took his team to a European final, but so did Uncle Walter. That never made him a candidate for the England job, but it got O'Neill an interview.

charlieTully

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 31, 2013, 05:02:35 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on March 31, 2013, 04:18:16 PM
g
He did okay with Leicester and he did well enough with Celtic. I'm not saying he didn't, I'm saying his achievements have been over stated. He was given money at Celtic that the likes of Strachan, Mowbray and Neil Lennon can only dream about. Lennon was speculating the other day about the unlikely prospect of him being given £10m to spend. O'Neill was given much more than that, yet he was never able to take Celtic beyond the group stages in the CL. Both Strachan and Lennon have done this with teams put together with spare change. He took his team to a European final, but so did Uncle Walter. That never made him a candidate for the England job, but it got O'Neill an interview.

not often i agree with you, but you do have a point, Lennon can only dream about having the coin O'Neill had, losing that league at Motherwell was a real downer, plus Down got beat by tyrone the same day in the rain at healy park, awful day.

T Fearon

On the other hand,he established Leicester as a top Premiership side without spending a fortune,and turned the tables on a rampant Rangers side (who were spending more money than Celtic at the time) in his first year at Celtic.His achievements with Villa, with a few top six finishes,should not be overlooked either.The performance of Celtic in the UEFA Cup run in 03 was great (much better than Rangers in 08),and taking Porto (who won the Champions League the next year) to extra time in the final,was a huge achievement.

Sunderland was his first ever sacking,and Alex Ferguson was sacked by a few clubs in Scotland.

Probably deserved a crack with a top four club in the EPL in the mid noughties,but now I fear past his best,and at 61,might not get another chance in the EPL.

GalwayBayBoy

In fairness Strachan was up against a terrible Rangers team for most of his time at Celtic including Paul Le Guen's calamitous tenure. MON actually had to compete with a decent Rangers side. In fact they were quite good when MON arrived at Celtic. Got to a UEFA final. Never reached the knockout stages of the CL but they were pretty unlucky on occasion. I think Strachan got through a group on less points that MON's team managed. Spent a bit at Villa alright but they finished 6th 3 seasons in a row under him. The kind of thing Moyes is canonised for doing at Everton.

Maybe football has passed him by a bit now. He doesn't seem to have the same energy he once had. I could see him packing it in entirely but maybe trying out international management might suit him at this stage.

lynchbhoy

MON had more to spend than strachan or Lennon but this is commensurate in relation to the amounts rangers were spending at the time.
During Mon's time rangers were still spending nearly double than that of Celtic.
During strachan or mowbrays time rangers were spending virtually nothing as they were broke.
Lennon is getting some of the best and cheapest talent from around the world thanks to supreme talent scout John park ( I'd be worried about epl clubs coming in for him!!) but still can't beat the likes of st mirren-  Lennon is still learning and has a bit to go.

McLean shows he is no slouch on the international stage. I'd like to see him at Liverpool or Celtic.

Funnily enough my second reaction after hearing MON was sacked was that he'd be perfect for Ireland.

BennyHarp

So Paolo DiCanio is heading to Sunderland for talks about taking over from O'Neill according to Sky Sports! I can't believe any sane chairman woud appoint that wing nut, but then they did appoint Keane I suppose.
That was never a square ball!!

Main Street

Myles masquerades as a Celtic fan, just another transparent deception of his.

MON inherited a poor squad at Sunderland, had a net spending of less than £20m which included having to buy a talented striker and midfielder. His 2 big signings turned out be average and couldn't lift the team out of their mediocrity. Apart from that, Sunderland look very flat in their mediocrity. MON has to take some of the hit.