Winter Training Ban

Started by SC1Sports.com, November 25, 2011, 10:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SC1Sports.com

What utter garbage.

It solves nothing. Why try to stop county training (when they can't police that anyway) in November/December when it is dead whilst clubs and colleges are still booming with activity.

This, in no way, addresses player burnout because the footballers they are trying to help are still completely flat out - and it doesn't even attempt to ease the load on underage players who are under the most pressure and can play for more teams.

Some stats: http://bit.ly/rXxUcC

I think the whole scheduling needs to be changed - trying to work something out but, at the minute, cannot come up with least controversial solution!

John79

Agree totally. People forget that inter county (and club) players are amateurs and work (if they're lucky enough to have a job). Burnout is recognized as a serious problem with professional sports people, what about amateurs?

Rest is recognized as being just as being important as good training and matches. Needs to be looked at within the Gaa

SC1Sports.com

Cheers John - completely agree. If anything, burnout should be more prevalent in amateurs because they have no other choice but to uphold other commitments.

They say the biggest cause of it is emotional exhaustion so when players are trying to keep up the schedules of club and college teams - on top of work/school - banning county training when it is at it's quietest period contributes little

ck

Is there any county team NOT training at the moment? I know both Sligo and Leitrim are flat out and Mayo are having trials and fitness tests. Training ban? It should be called rest ban!

John79

Quote from: ck on November 26, 2011, 01:57:48 AM
Is there any county team NOT training at the moment? I know both Sligo and Leitrim are flat out and Mayo are having trials and fitness tests. Training ban? It should be called rest ban!

Thanks ck, is that not the point that myself and others are making? Too much for amateurs

Winnie Peg

SC1Sports.com

Yeah plenty of counties are ignoring it - of course they are, the McKenna Cup starts on 8th of January - how can they be expected to prepare in a week?

Plus, there's absolutely no way to police what is county training and what isn't