Greatest "line" in football

Started by southdown, November 25, 2011, 01:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Quote from: Pangurban on November 26, 2011, 01:22:29 AM
Down FB line Lavery,Murphy,Rice in the 60s, we will never see their like again

+1

-Totally agree, its easy to pick out the marque forward lines we had but we will certainly not see anything like them in this current era for Down football Pangurban sadly  :(

Jinxy

When I hear the name 'Stafford' I instantly think 'O'Rourke & Flynn'.
They were a unit, a troika if you will.
The most iconic FF line in history.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DuffleKing

Greatest in history is a very high accolade and its only for that nitpick reason that I'd question stafford. An exceptional free taker and finisher in space, he was fairly markable. He tended to benefit from the opposition's best markers picking up the other 2.

southsidejohnny

Johnstone, Mooney and O Brien. BMW. Kings of Leon. Big Tom, Larry Cunningham and Daniel O Donnell.

Leo

Maxi Dick & Twink .....
or
Javkie Healy Rae
Fierce tame altogether

ONeill

In 2008 - Harte/Gormley/Jordan were in some form  as the summer progressed.

1999 - Murphy/Geraghty/Curtis were unstoppable. Replace Curtis with Giles and it was a dream FF line.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orchard 8195

Quote from: ONeill on November 26, 2011, 08:59:40 PM

1999 - Murphy/Geraghty/Curtis were unstoppable. Replace Curtis with Giles and it was a dream FF line.
giles in corner forward??

donegal_abu

Probably being a tad biased here but I think the best half backline would be : Neil mcgee, karl lacey, paddy mcgrath, frank mcglynn, kevin cassidy, anthony thompson, neil gallagher, christy toye, mark mchugh, ryan bradley, michael hegarty, michael murphy & patrick mcbrearty :)

thewobbler

Haha you actually made me laugh out loud there Donegal Abu

donegal_abu

Quote from: thewobbler on November 26, 2011, 09:11:04 PM
Haha you actually made me laugh out loud there Donegal Abu

If ye cant beat the haters... join them for the craic :D

ONeill

Quote from: orchard 8195 on November 26, 2011, 09:04:04 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 26, 2011, 08:59:40 PM

giles in corner forward??

Giles could have played anywhere in the forward unit. As a roving CF I wouldn't have liked to be the CB marking him. No doubting CHF suited him most but a Giles-Geraghy-Murphy line in 1999 wouldn't set much better. I know he played CHB in club football but did he play in defence against Armagh minors in 1992?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

No, he was no. 15 on that team. There was, as you say, a widely held view that he should be CHB for Meath, shared by myself until I witnessed it tried in a couple of qualifiers in one of those years when we were always playing qualifiers against Fermanagh and Monaghan or Cavan. It was a disaster. Trevor wasn't a defender, as it turned out.

But your proposed FF line of Murphy, Geraghty, Giles makes as much sense as Murphy, Geraghty and anyone else because that's the way it worked for that few years.

Jinxy

Murphy, Geraghty and Ray Magee could have been the greatest FF line in history!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

norabeag

Suarez, Terry & Eugene Terre Blanche. Never a black mark against them. Always played white to the final whistle. ;)

fearglasmor