Bruce Springsteen and e street band touring in 2012

Started by the Deel Rover, November 21, 2011, 07:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

Quote from: Bingo on July 19, 2012, 10:40:23 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on July 19, 2012, 10:27:29 AM
QuoteZiggy - I was waiting to see the reaction to "Death to my Hometown", and just as the boos were starting to build,

Not a real Bruce fan but why would there be any reaction/boos to this song?

Well its a soon about economic crisis and bankers greed, can't see why they'd be boo's, more cheers in agreement with the song. Unless the "boo's" where the usual "bbbbbbbbrrrruuuuuuuuuucccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" shouts heard throughout any Springsteen concert!

Spotty dog, I thought there'd be a big reaction to this song (about the destruction of small town economy's). It goes to show how many new fans BS attracts for each tour. How many times have you heard "what are they booing for?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Shamrock Shore

AQMP

Might be bucking the trend but I thought last night's show took a bit of time to get going.  For me it really only came to life with "Because The Night".  No "Thunder Road" or "Jungleland" for us oldies (unless I missed them while getting drinks) but the second half was great, with "10th Avenue Freeze Out" my personal highlight.

J OGorman

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 18, 2012, 06:11:51 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2012, 10:40:10 AM
Quote from: Declan on July 18, 2012, 07:39:45 AM
QuoteWhat a gig, 3.5 hours of one of the best set lists Ive ever heard interspersed with good humour.  Began by wheeling out an over sized power switch and switching it back on in order to finish Saturdays set and followed that up with a rendition of I fought the law and the law won, continuing in that form all night.

Brilliant just sheer brilliant.

Back tomorrow for more, can't wait.

Agreed - he was in stunning form. Fantastic stuff.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVGh7UIDIrI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlXVHAfa1EE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc7kJ-0VjnE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Looks like a good night.

It reminds me, though - something I've never understood. Why do people bring flags to rock concerts?
And why do people watch a rock concert through a camera on their phone rather than actually enjoying the gig?

so you can watch it on youtube

Doiregael2

Quote from: AQMP on July 19, 2012, 05:34:55 PM
Might be bucking the trend but I thought last night's show took a bit of time to get going.  For me it really only came to life with "Because The Night".  No "Thunder Road" or "Jungleland" for us oldies (unless I missed them while getting drinks) but the second half was great, with "10th Avenue Freeze Out" my personal highlight.

+1
Have to agree - it was my first Bruce experience but what a show! the man is unreal! a few personal highlights - Because the Night, The River -stunning -, Jack of All Trades and American Land :)

David McKeown

Quote from: AQMP on July 19, 2012, 05:34:55 PM

I would agree, and my gf was saying the same thing still a great show mind
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

TacadoirArdMhacha

Stunning gig on Tuesday night. Magnificent. As good a value for 90 euro as I've ever had. As has been said so often before, his energy for a man of his age is fantastic.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Quote from: J OGorman on July 19, 2012, 06:04:43 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 18, 2012, 06:11:51 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2012, 10:40:10 AM
Quote from: Declan on July 18, 2012, 07:39:45 AM
QuoteWhat a gig, 3.5 hours of one of the best set lists Ive ever heard interspersed with good humour.  Began by wheeling out an over sized power switch and switching it back on in order to finish Saturdays set and followed that up with a rendition of I fought the law and the law won, continuing in that form all night.

Brilliant just sheer brilliant.

Back tomorrow for more, can't wait.

Agreed - he was in stunning form. Fantastic stuff.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVGh7UIDIrI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlXVHAfa1EE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc7kJ-0VjnE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Looks like a good night.

It reminds me, though - something I've never understood. Why do people bring flags to rock concerts?
And why do people watch a rock concert through a camera on their phone rather than actually enjoying the gig?

so you can watch it on youtube
It looks shit on youtube.

ziggy90

Quote from: theskull1 on November 22, 2011, 10:55:30 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on November 22, 2011, 09:43:56 PM
Stay away this time you & give someone young a chance to see still the best show in town.

Sound advice..cheers

Skull, I would be happy if you told me you didn't heed my advice and said "fcuk it, I'll still go". You'd have seen a performance and energy that BS would've been happy with 30 years ago. As I said "still the best show in town".   

belleaqua

Amazing stuff. Constantly brings the goods. Continuously surprises me how far he can go. The first night was the 'fun' night in terms of song choice/crowd pleasers and treating the show like it was everyones 1st show. Met a good few 1st timers since and they were blown away. Even heard Matt Cooper the other evening commenting on how he went with no expectation as he wouldn't be a big fan and now seems like a man converted. He said it felt like a religious experience or rather the idea of what one should be like.

Last night was a nod to the hardcore. My favourite of the 2 nights but I understand what others have said about night 1 being more crowd orientated and active from the start. He really changed up the early setlist and the Something in the Night/Adam Raised a Cain duo was great although it may have lost many people for a while.   

Any show that has a triple shot of The Promise/The River/Backstreets is for me an automatic best show ever contender-waited for ages to hear Backstreets - made my month!

Anyway it should be said that if never lucky enough to see this great band again its been a fantastic experience and a pleasure. I actually think Bruce Springsteen is under rated. That may shock people who think the complete opposite but these people tend to judge him on the fact that Glory Days or Dancing in the Dark are his best songs because they were popular. Objectively one of them would be lucky to feature in his top 50. As a live performer in terms of quality/passion/longevity I don't think there is a competitor. I'd say a lot of the top bands out there are like 'stop playing for 3.5 hours you're showing us up big time' The ability to do that night after night - change a setlist by exactly half the songs and still leave out crowd staples on both nights like Thunder Road/ The Promised Land/Lonesome Day and Hungry Heart is phenomenal. Please come back!

Declan

QuoteI actually think Bruce Springsteen is under rated. That may shock people who think the complete opposite but these people tend to judge him on the fact that Glory Days or Dancing in the Dark are his best songs because they were popular. Objectively one of them would be lucky to feature in his top 50. As a live performer in terms of quality/passion/longevity I don't think there is a competitor.

+100% - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJHRYE8a-yo&feature=g-upl

J70

Wow! Seem him numerous times and I've never heard Something in the Night! That was the song that actually turned me into a major fan. One of his very best.

AQMP

Quote from: belleaqua on July 19, 2012, 11:43:07 PM
Amazing stuff. Constantly brings the goods. Continuously surprises me how far he can go. The first night was the 'fun' night in terms of song choice/crowd pleasers and treating the show like it was everyones 1st show. Met a good few 1st timers since and they were blown away. Even heard Matt Cooper the other evening commenting on how he went with no expectation as he wouldn't be a big fan and now seems like a man converted. He said it felt like a religious experience or rather the idea of what one should be like.

Last night was a nod to the hardcore. My favourite of the 2 nights but I understand what others have said about night 1 being more crowd orientated and active from the start. He really changed up the early setlist and the Something in the Night/Adam Raised a Cain duo was great although it may have lost many people for a while.   

Any show that has a triple shot of The Promise/The River/Backstreets is for me an automatic best show ever contender-waited for ages to hear Backstreets - made my month!

Anyway it should be said that if never lucky enough to see this great band again its been a fantastic experience and a pleasure. I actually think Bruce Springsteen is under rated. That may shock people who think the complete opposite but these people tend to judge him on the fact that Glory Days or Dancing in the Dark are his best songs because they were popular. Objectively one of them would be lucky to feature in his top 50. As a live performer in terms of quality/passion/longevity I don't think there is a competitor. I'd say a lot of the top bands out there are like 'stop playing for 3.5 hours you're showing us up big time' The ability to do that night after night - change a setlist by exactly half the songs and still leave out crowd staples on both nights like Thunder Road/ The Promised Land/Lonesome Day and Hungry Heart is phenomenal. Please come back!

Dancing In The Dark is probably the only Springsteen song I can't listen to.  I went to the jacks during it.  While I said for me the gig took a while to get going I forgot to mention a highlight of the early part was "Spirit In The Night".  For newer Springsteen fans you really should listen to "Greetings From Asbury Park NJ", his first LP from 1973 (recorded in a week!), still an absolute classic.

ziggy90

Quote from: belleaqua on July 19, 2012, 11:43:07 PM

Great post, I hope Bruce reads, and take heeds of, the bit in bold :P.

Ulick

Well I thought the Wednesday show was superb from start to finish. The highlights for me were Something in the Night, Death to My Hometown, Jack of All Trades,  Waitin' on a Sunny Day then Born in the USA until the finish. On a general note, I can't think of any other artist that gets such a range of people attending from young families to OAPs and all having a great time. We had a fourth month old with us and no one batted an eyelid. Security, Guards and St Johns Ambulance were all very helpful regarding changing facilities and the like. We had an absolutely brilliant night with the only hitch being the Port Tunnel being closed without warning on the way back after we had already crossed the East Link toll bridge. Almost ended up in Howth trying to find the M1 again. The tribute to the Big Man was also a nice touch.