God to be Fermanagh's miracle?

Started by ziggysego, November 16, 2011, 07:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

regal

God luck to the new management team. Given that the idea behind the previous management appointment was to reduce expenses, will the County Board be as open minded to players expenses / costs as they will be to managements?

Is this a county board appointment or a supporters clubs appointment?

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on November 21, 2011, 10:23:33 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 18, 2011, 12:10:59 PM
Tenderfoot

(This is a test of board members' Google skills.)

Greenhorn?

A tenderfoot is a greenhorn, but no.

The reference was not to God but the one mooted to sit on his right hand.

oakleafgael

Quote from: regal on November 22, 2011, 09:35:10 AM
God luck to the new management team. Given that the idea behind the previous management appointment was to reduce expenses, will the County Board be as open minded to players expenses / costs as they will be to managements?

The latter. Canavan met with Club Eirne before he went for interview and was their candidate. There wasnt much the County Board could do when he was the only one who turned up for interview.

Tyrone Gaa

Hope all goes well to Fermanagh in the season coming they are now my adoped second county.  Hopefully Peter will serve his apprenticeship well and will be ready to take the Tyrone hot seat when ever Micky decides to call an end to his tenure at Tyrone!!  Peter will always be a legend

Great appointment Fermanagh
Living the dream!!!

regal

Quote from: oakleafgael on November 22, 2011, 11:01:47 AM
Quote from: regal on November 22, 2011, 09:35:10 AM

The latter. Canavan met with Club Eirne before he went for interview and was their candidate. There wasnt much the County Board could do when he was the only one who turned up for interview.

That is what I thought. But as this is Club Eirne's appointment, there are 2 obvious problems:

1 - Club Eirne do not pay the players expenses, so the same players who wouldn't play last year still have no financial incentive to play this year. No financial reward, then they will hardly be motivated to play this year

2 - After year 1 of Peter's 3 year contract, there will be no coffers left in Club Eirne's piggy bank to pay anyone

Maiden1

Quote from: passedit on November 22, 2011, 08:44:23 AM
Quote from: Maiden1 on November 21, 2011, 11:16:17 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on November 21, 2011, 04:38:26 PM
Quote from: Stevie g 8 on November 21, 2011, 04:31:00 PM
He must be crazy going in there after the split with some players this year regarding the manager

that was the Manager's fault, not the players. The right manager will galvanise a god bunch of lads.
Is that a fraudian slip. Sean Quinn must still have a few quid hidden under the carpet.

No but that one is definitely Freudian.
:)
There are no proofs, only opinions.

FermGael

Quote from: regal on November 22, 2011, 12:49:58 PM

That is what I thought. But as this is Club Eirne's appointment, there are 2 obvious problems:

1 - Club Eirne do not pay the players expenses, so the same players who wouldn't play last year still have no financial incentive to play this year. No financial reward, then they will hardly be motivated to play this year

2 - After year 1 of Peter's 3 year contract, there will be no coffers left in Club Eirne's piggy bank to pay anyone

Interesting.  Are you saying that the players left last year because there was no financial reward??

I think a bigger problem for Peter may be getting the players who played last year and the players who walked away to play on the same team

P.S any word on who got the U-21 and minor jobs?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

shawshank

Quote from: FermGael on November 22, 2011, 01:44:33 PM
Quote from: regal on November 22, 2011, 12:49:58 PM

Interesting.  Are you saying that the players left last year because there was no financial reward??

I think a bigger problem for Peter may be getting the players who played last year and the players who walked away to play on the same team
P.S any word on who got the U-21 and minor jobs?

I would have thought that also, whenever you read the public statments that Ownes has made in the press about the stay away/walk out players. He would have been best advised to to have kept close council.

Fermanaghandsam

[/quote]

[/quote]

People have talked about why players left etc for nearly a year now, and I think most don't think money was the reason for it. Whatever peoples thoughts on whether they should or shouldnt have left, stating the players would only return for the money seems like just a cheap shot at them (many of which have give years of service) and seems like someone just trying to throw dirt at them in the hope that some sticks.

Now is the time to come together and try to move on from what was an absolutely awful year for us. I for one, am far more optimisitic this year than I was when O'Neill was appointed. Hopefully the players that remained, those that left and those that refused to come out in the 1st place can now come together and become the good side that I think they can become.

BennyHarp

I think this is a great appointment for both Peter and Fermanagh. For Peter he is taking over a team with potential and possibily at the the lowest ebb they have been in many years. Any move forward is progress and if the stay away players from last year re-join then there is every chance that Fermanagh could cause a few upsets in the year ahead.

I would be very, very surprised if Peter walked into this job without knowing wether or not these players would return and sounding out people like Barry Owens. Peter is no mug and wouldnt have touched this job with a barge pole had he not been given assurances that this dispute would be resolved.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out - all of a sudden the Ulster championship has a bit more of a spice about it.
That was never a square ball!!

Tommo2

Quote from: gerry on November 21, 2011, 09:19:22 PM
Quote from: FermGael on November 21, 2011, 11:51:37 AM

Also no recession round here

Does 45k of expenses sound about right

To be fair He will need the expenses as he may miss out on commentating (BBC &tv3), today fm work and his summer camp in Spain.

wanderer

I might be in a minority of one here, but I am not that excited about this at all  :-\

The way I look at it is, he can't lose (as previous posters have said).

If he is useless he will be able to blame the players and walk away head held high. He will say that Fermanagh don't have the players. If he is successful in any way he will have one eye on the Tyrone job.

In my opinion he got the job because of his name rather than his managerial credentials, and thats not something I would be overly excited about. Great players are not guaranteed to make great managers IMHO. Of course it helps to get an initial level of respect but the level of respect will change dependant on how he does.

In all honesty a minimum requirement should be promotion in the league, a decent showing in Ulster and a few results in the qualifiers when they get there. Any thing less will be a failure in my eyes

Orangemac

As has been said the only way is up after last year. If Canavan has a full pick of players who are commited to the cause Fermanagh should be able to get promotion and give Down a good rattle next May.

The likes of Barry Owens and Marty McGrath are long past their glory days though and an Ulster title win would confirm Peter as God in 2 counties.

ONeill

'Nothing to lose' - 'the only way is up'

Lose to Kilkenny and there'll be an uprising.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gerry

75 at trials between wednesday and this morning including this young guy

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,