TELEVISING GAELIC GAMES..

Started by lawnseed 2, March 13, 2007, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

Mike Sheehy - Calling people from the 6 counties foreigners is deeply offensive, but I'm sure you probably knew that already and its why you used it. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: lawnseed 2 on March 13, 2007, 11:05:35 PM
dubs what age are you 9 or 10 does your parents know your not in bed or are you under the blanket with your computer. so there ha ha

Lawnseed - if your going to comment on who is on RTE etc then at least get your facts right!!!
As for calling for young ex players ot commentate I have given a good reason why they shouldn't....you can't come up with a viable reason they should..

tayto

I like lyster.

I think RTÉs coverage of the championship is good, but I think whoever wins the championship rights should be made do a weekly round up show as well, which would include the NFL and NHL and the club scene in each province. Spoon feed it to the audience, get journalists in to do the analysis, not players who don't want to criticise.

I really do think there is scope for a lot more coverage. When's the last time you saw anything on Division II hurling.

thejuice

Hold your horses, Why is everyone so quick to jump down each others throats.  ???

I agree to an extent ehat lawnseed said. Presentation is one of the most important parts of any product. The GAA has pretty poor presentation, for example, look at Official County websites, they are all prehistoric in terms of design and appearence (except for Tyrone, theirs is very good). On TV and internet so much can be done to improve the appearence of our games.

I would like to see more in depth analysis of games, by people who know something about it. It just seems like Spillane and the rest dont analyse they talk in an almost esoteric form of Rural speak, that could apply to anything. i think some more clear facts, numerical breakdown and in depth analysis of such would be more appropriate. I dont mind if it comes from SKY, TV3, RTE, TG4, BBC, SETANTA.

If people want the best example of how a sport should be presented go to NFL.com and see how American Football is done. Its the best form of presentation and offers so much to the viewer. the NFL even have their own TV network and own all the rights to their games. Thats how it should be done by the GAA.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ross matt

Agree with Juice. Think the presentation is poor enough. Lyster's been there too long, Spillane and Marty Morrissey are cartoons. The whole thing needs to be freshened up.

Bensars

Quote from: amallon on March 14, 2007, 09:50:47 AM
Mike Sheehy - Calling people from the 6 counties foreigners is deeply offensive, but I'm sure you probably knew that already and its why you used it. 

Im sure the six county reference in relation to Munster.

Even the dumbest on here knowns that there is 9 counties in Ulster !!!

balladmaker

I'll not support the RTE coverage until they bring back the old theme tune for the Sunday Game....and also put Spillane on the opposite side of the table....he is a crap presenter!

Ah...the important things in life.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteGH,

How well does the picture come through on the computer and does it buffer alot?

The picture is actually pretty good - doesn't really buffer much - but I've got a really good internet connection

amallon

Bensars - I'm on about the occupied 6 counties!  :-\
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: amallon on March 14, 2007, 02:11:16 PM
Bensars - I'm on about the occupied 6 counties!  :-\

I'd say he's well aware  :-\
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bensars

thebandit

I'd have to say I think Lyster is fairly good, he compares well with Linekar, Billo or (God save us) anyone that tv3 have on offer.

Spillane is better on the other side of the table - agreed. Kevin McStay is brutal, Tohill is wooden. O'Rourke to be fair knows his stuff.

I wouldn't be big into hurling, but it strikes me that their coverage is better - Cyril Farrell and Ger Loughnane talk a lot of sense, Ger will be hard to follow.

TG4 provide us with our fix in the dark months - the presenter is good, and their coverage is improving.

I like Jarlath & Martin on the BBC, I know they're a wee bit parochial at times, but they're good craic.

One thing sticks out - there's definately demand for some highlights coverage of league and club action.

5 Sams

Quotewhy should "free-staters" have to pay a license fee to listen to some jumped up foreigner tell us how to play a game we have been sucessful at long before football was reinvented in 2002 or 2003 ?

Mikey...when will you ever learn??? Football was in fact invented in September 1960 by a crowd of "jumped up foreigners" wearing red geansaís...ask some of the oul fellas in your local....they'll remember it well I'd say ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Six Inch Nail

Quote from: balladmaker on March 14, 2007, 01:15:08 PM
I'll not support the RTE coverage until they bring back the old theme tune for the Sunday Game….and also put Spillane on the opposite side of the table….he is a crap presenter!

Ah…the important things in life.

I fully agree Balladmaker.  The man who decided to replace the old theme tune should be shot.  Also Ger Canning is brutal, the amount of names of top county players he doesn't know is a disgrace.  You just know when he is commenting on a match he is sitting with a program infront of him looking up the names.  He has a neck on him to put his hand out for a cheque at the end of the week in my opinion. 

I don't want to start a "everybody is against us" load of shite, because I don't believe it, but Tommy Lyons is a gobshite.  Last year Donegal played Fermanagh and it was a brutal match.  Tommy Lyons called it a brutal match "typical Ulster fair".  The very same day Kildare played Offaly (I think - but it was 2 neighbouring Lenister teams anyway), the match was equally bad.  Lyons referred to it as a local rivalry.  Now, either he is being deliberately aggrivating or he needs a geography lession.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

westmayo

There is no way in hell that RTE will ever put out a club highlights package on the airwaves, the cost of producing such a programme compared to what they would make back through advertising revenue compared to what they could make showing repeats of Fr. Ted, Freinds or the Simpons will always count against it.
I would  like to see a that sort of programme it would be of interest to the posters on this board, but I seriously doubt that it would have any real widespread appeal even to the local who goes and watchs his club play on a Sunday, never mind the sunshine championship fans.