Railway cup returns!

Started by ross4life, November 16, 2011, 01:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it a good idea to bring back the Railway cup?

Yes
58 (66.7%)
No
20 (23%)
Undecided
5 (5.7%)
I like to drink in a railway tavern
4 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 87

ross4life

Quote from: Zulu on February 19, 2012, 04:40:28 PM
Quote from: ross4life on February 19, 2012, 04:19:46 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 19, 2012, 04:07:13 PM
Please kill off this farce and give us more proper games instead.
While i could be of the same opinion after that Connacht defeat i think the Gaaboard has spoken with a whopping 69% in the above poll.

P.S Well done to Connacht/Galway hurlers 3-19 1-15 v Ulster.

Then those 69% are unable to think rationally! I'd love to hear from these people why they want to retain a competition they couldn't be bothered their asses going to see.

As would i but i've been to loads of IC league games with poor crowds so maybe some are only bothered about summer games?

Quote from: AFS on February 19, 2012, 04:41:57 PM
Very disappointed with that Ulster result. Another nothing game for the Armagh lads to risk injury playing. It's absurd that the club semis were switched to Saturday to make way for this nonsense.
No railway cup last year & the St.Brigid's v Nemo Rangers semi final was on Saturday.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mountainboii

Quote from: ross4life on February 19, 2012, 04:50:49 PM
Quote from: AFS on February 19, 2012, 04:41:57 PM
Very disappointed with that Ulster result. Another nothing game for the Armagh lads to risk injury playing. It's absurd that the club semis were switched to Saturday to make way for this nonsense.
No railway cup last year & the St.Brigid's v Nemo Rangers semi final was on Saturday.

No Railway Cup, but a full programme of NFL fixtures this weekend last year. For what reason were the games switched to Saturday this weekend? It wasn't at the behest of the clubs, as there were complaints from at least one of those involved at the Saturday fixture. It wasn't for TV, as TG4 filled this afternoon's schedule with a repeat of yesterday's action. Without an obvious alternative explanation, it can only be assumed that the games were switched in an attempt to clear the way as much as possible for the interprovincial non events today.

Syferus

The fact Saturday games allow for more scope for travel means Saturday game are actually preferable in alot of cases.

The GAA should start to regularly schedule afternoon inter-county games on Saturdays.

Jinxy

The players seem to like it therefore not else matters.
Where have we heard that before?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TacadoirArdMhacha

If you wanted to see competitive football today, you'd have been far better heading to Creggan than Sligo.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mountainboii

Quote from: Syferus on February 19, 2012, 05:41:17 PM
The fact Saturday games allow for more scope for travel means Saturday game are actually preferable in alot of cases.

The GAA should start to regularly schedule afternoon inter-county games on Saturdays.

If you believe that then it further strengthens the case that the club games should have kept their usual Sunday slot. It's a lot further from Killarney to Parnell Park than it is to Portlaoise. Likewise, you'd make it from Crossmaglen to Portlaoise sooner than Sligo. And that's not even getting into the distances any brave souls from the Ulster hurling heartlands would have had to travel if they made the journey to Ballinasloe today.

ross4life

Saturday in Longford
Ulster v Connacht
St Brigid's v Garrycastle

Sunday in Portlaoise
Leinster v Munster
Dr Crokes v Crossmaglen

Is one option the GAA could have went with.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on February 19, 2012, 06:20:51 PM
Saturday in Longford
Ulster v Connacht
St Brigid's v Garrycastle

Sunday in Portlaoise
Leinster v Munster
Dr Crokes v Crossmaglen

Is one option the GAA could have went with.

That would be a segregators nightmare.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

Eh, what's that supposed to mean??? We have too many exhibition games and not enough real games. The all stars provides players with their run around and few pints we don't need another one. And if you think players need a break then give them all the weekend off, simple. Jesus, you're right I do know best, feel free to contact me the next time you're wrong about something.

BennyCake

Did I hear the football final might be in Crossmaglen next Sunday?

Blowitupref

Quote from: Zulu on February 19, 2012, 07:25:21 PM
Eh, what's that supposed to mean??? We have too many exhibition games and not enough real games. The all stars provides players with their run around and few pints we don't need another one. And if you think players need a break then give them all the weekend off, simple. Jesus, you're right I do know best, feel free to contact me the next time you're wrong about something.
I think you answered your own question there. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Anybody know the date for the hurling final?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Zulu

I don't want just the railway cups abolished I want our whole season changed because we are underselling our sports. We should have far more games involving well prepared full strength teams going at it. I also want the GAA to invest in the promotion of it's games at ground level so spend 1 million euros on this rubbish is a scandal and you want them spending more money to try and convince the public this nonsense is worth paying to see???

BennyCake

It's obvious the GAA want this to fail. They've had 2 years and this is the best they've come up with. Now I hear the football final might be in the middle of nowhere, in County Clare.

Anyone interested in going to the final, should do, as it'll probably be the last one.