Railway cup returns!

Started by ross4life, November 16, 2011, 01:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it a good idea to bring back the Railway cup?

Yes
58 (66.7%)
No
20 (23%)
Undecided
5 (5.7%)
I like to drink in a railway tavern
4 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 87

ross4life

Undecided myself anyways it's set for next February.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mannix

It's nice alright but it needs marketing, let all kids under 12 in for free.

Rossfan

I presume the thousands who have been missing this tournament will be packing the grounds out next February  :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

Why not run it in November? 

Same weather and lighting as February, counties could defy the training ban (we want to support our Province), no Sigerson players allowed to prevent burnout.  All participants must take part in Movember.  That way it would appear like it was in the 70s and it would be for a good cause.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Dinny Breen

Would you have to introduce an extra-round as surely Dublin will want to enter this?
#newbridgeornowhere

thewobbler

How I'd run the Railways Cups:

1. Don't ever run football and hurling together. A football man will normally prefer to watch two games of football instead of a game of each, and vice versa.

2. Give both sports one big day each in Croke Park.

3. An example of one of the days:

- 12pm semi-final one
- 1.45pm semi-final two
- 4pm the final

4. Squads of 25 for each team (each player would have a squad number). To restrict fatigue and help build the occasion, unrestricted, rolling substitutions would occur throughout games.

5. Under 18s go free. Student get in for a fiver, OAPs get in for a fiver. The rest of us pay a tenner.

6. The best seats in the house (middle of Cusack and Hogan) go on sale in advance. The rest are pay on the day

7. Souvenir programmes to include detailed profiles of each of the 100 players, including reasons why they were picked.

8. A team and player of the tournament to be picked and announced on the final whistle.

9. Don't clash with major soccer and rugby fixtures (or major GAA ones either).

Yeah I know the teams in the second semi-final will have a tough day of it. But put yourself in the shoes of a player and ask would you rather play 120 minutes for your Province in one day at Croke Park, or play out those 120 minutes on separate weekends in vacuous dumps around Ireland? One year it works in your favour, the next it doesn't.

tommysmith

Its a good job you are not in charge of running it.

Hardy

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Shamrock Shore

Could we not have 8 teams.

Leinster sans Dublin
Dublin
Munster sans Kerry and Cork
Kerry
Cork
Connacht
Ulster sans Armagh and Tyrone
An Armagh Tyrone best of

That would be craic

*runs and hides from Northern Bulabas*

fearglasmor

ah come on now. Donegal are Ulster champs. Why should they have to slum it with the likes of Fermanagh and Cavan. Have a bit of respect.

Zulu

The lunacy of the suggestions to 'improve' this farce only underlines how dead this thing is. There is nothing wrong with leaving something that has run it's course die. I wouldn't mind but we have enough problems with our fixtures without trying to squeeze the interprovincials in when nobody gives, or ever will give, a damn.

Shamrock Shore

Donegal on their own.

Oh sweet Jesus. 14 men defending the square. No thank you.

Rossfan

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 16, 2011, 01:07:09 PM
Donegal on their own.

Oh sweet Jesus. 14 men defending the square. No thank you.

Was one man sent off ?  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn