Railway cup returns!

Started by ross4life, November 16, 2011, 01:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it a good idea to bring back the Railway cup?

Yes
58 (66.7%)
No
20 (23%)
Undecided
5 (5.7%)
I like to drink in a railway tavern
4 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 87

From the Bunker

Wish these games were on the TV!

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2012, 10:53:38 PM
Quote from: ross4life on February 11, 2012, 10:49:25 PM
For those that has forgotten this craic is back next weekend.

I just know Fergie's going to pick Donie Shine or someone and then he gets injured. It'll be Shakespearean levels of tragedy.

Typical Rossie, much ado about nothing.
MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious

ross4life

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2012, 11:44:05 AM
No, but it's reflective of the current quality we have. I know Niall McNamee would probably make it in normal circumstances, but with the retirement of Maccer, Slattery as well as our poor form, we're a mile away from anyone on this.
McNamee would have made it & McManus if he didn't retire. I know there AI champs but a few too many Dubs both Brogans who haven't started this year are included? Would have more than just one from Longford.

From what i'm hearing only 4/5 rossies will be on the Connacht panel probably 4 to many for some..
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on February 14, 2012, 07:15:20 PM
No, but it's reflective of the current quality we have. I know Niall McNamee would probably make it in normal circumstances, but with the retirement of Maccer, Slattery as well as our poor form, we're a mile away from anyone on this.
McNamee would have made it & McManus if he didn't retire. I know there AI champs but a few too many Dubs both Brogans who haven't started this year are included? Would have more than just one from Longford.

From what i'm hearing only 4/5 rossies will be on the Connacht panel probably 4 to many for some..

Syferus for one.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on February 14, 2012, 08:28:49 PM
Quote from: ross4life on February 14, 2012, 07:15:20 PM

Syferus for one.

I'm the back-up for the Aidan O'Shea role, I've been in intensive training for months to forget how to play football and learning to elbow people and fall over.

Breffni_Yank

Here is Ulster's lot.

1. Brendan McVeigh (Down)
2. Brendan Donaghy (Armagh)
3. Neil Magee (Donegal)
4. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
5. Ciaran McKeever (Armagh)
6. Darren Hughes (Monaghan) Captain
7. James Loughery (Antrim)
8. Dan Gordan (Down)
9. Rory Kavanagh (Donegal)
10. Danny Hughes (Down)
11. Mark Poland (Down)
12. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
13. Martin Penrose (Tyrone)
14. Benny Colter (Down)
15. Owen Mulligan (Tyrone)

Subs
16. John Devine (Tyrone)
17. Joe McMahon (Tyrone)
18 Cathal McCarron (Tyrone)
19. Thomas McCann (Antrim)
20. Vincent Corey (Monaghan)
21. Owen Lennon (Monaghan)
22. Paul Finley (Monaghan)
23. Conleth Gilligan (Derry)
24. Ciaran Hughes (Monaghan)

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Rossfan on November 16, 2011, 09:44:56 AM
I presume the thousands who have been missing this tournament will be packing the grounds out next February  :o

I'm in my 40's and cant remember the glory days of The Railway Cup, but way back when, it got great crowds.

To make it a real goer a few things need to happen

1 move the club finals  away from Paddys Day and give that date back to the railway cup

2 Only award an All Star to players who have played for their province in the callendar year.

Leo

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on February 14, 2012, 10:45:23 PM
I presume the thousands who have been missing this tournament will be packing the grounds out next February  :o

I'm in my 40's and cant remember the glory days of The Railway Cup, but way back when, it got great crowds.

1 move the club finals  away from Paddys Day and give that date back to the railway cup

2 Only award an All Star to players who have played for their province in the callendar year.

Here is the only answer - double headers at Croke Park as follows:

St Patrick's Day - Club Football Final plus Railway Cup Football Final

Easter Sunday: Club Hurling Final plus Railway Cup hurling final

Add in some family razzmatazz.
Otherwise forget about it.
Fierce tame altogether

johnpower

best of luck to all involved I managed to be probablby amongst (excluding family of guys playing) to attend  a few years ago I think this will be the future of the Gaa 

Syferus

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on February 14, 2012, 10:45:23 PM

So a player who is injured while the Railway cup is happening in February and then goes on to win the Player of the Year wouldn't be eligible for an All-Star? Do you not see how unworkable a suggestion that is?

In no situation should the club finals be jimmied around - it's the very symbol of what the GAA professes to be about and to move them for the sake of what, at best, can only be a glorified all-star series would be ridiculous.

Maybe pairing the football final with the railway cup final and likewise for hurling would work, but the railway cup would need to be the curtain-raiser and the combination of the hurling and football club finals is a special concoction in itself and I'd be wary of breaking that up.

The thing the railway cup needs if it is to succeed is simple. Live tv coverage. Package the railway cup coverage with All-Ireland final coverage future contract negotiations if you have to, but 'till that happens the GAA and any fans can forget about it ever regaining real status and mindshare.

johnpower

whats the big deal about the club championship the province system is well established while the club boundarys still move quiet a bit I think it is a great marketing opportunity.Just a thought

ONeill

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 14, 2012, 10:44:45 PM
Here is Ulster's lot.

3. Neil Magee (Donegal)
4. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
8. Dan Gordan (Down)
10. Danny Hughes (Down)
11. Mark Poland (Down)
12. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
14. Benny Colter (Down)

Subs
16. John Devine (Tyrone)
17. Joe McMahon (Tyrone)

Jaysus you'd think he'd stick a Fermanagh man on the subs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: ONeill on February 14, 2012, 11:40:18 PM
Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 14, 2012, 10:44:45 PM
Here is Ulster's lot.

3. Neil Magee (Donegal)
4. Karl Lacey (Donegal)
8. Dan Gordan (Down)
10. Danny Hughes (Down)
11. Mark Poland (Down)
12. Peter Harte (Tyrone)
14. Benny Colter (Down)

Subs
16. John Devine (Tyrone)
17. Joe McMahon (Tyrone)

Jaysus you'd think he'd stick a Fermanagh man on the subs.

Or a Cavan lad either,O'Neil you big partitionist....

mountainboii

Happy enough with just the two Armagh lads involved, and both would do well to pick up a wee muscle twinge or something before the weekend.