Tyrone club football

Started by Jinxy, November 13, 2011, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 14, 2011, 12:56:53 PM
As for opposition supporters attacking another, can you honestly say that if you were standing at a match with your own clubs supporters and a supporter from the opposing club reached over the wire and hit one of your players across the head with an umbrella, that nobody from your clubs supporters standing there would react? That's not supporting what happened, just pointing out that it takes two to tango lads.
Possibly, but there would be plenty enough sensible heads about to step in and diffuse the situation rather than fuel it.

Orchardman

It would be easy for me to come on as an armagh man and be all smug, but that's bull. The tone of this thread is rotten. The likes of indiana and jinxy using it as a chance of cheapshots at another county, who have been much more successful than their own over the last decade. Of course these things are bad, but some of you guys are worse than the likes of BBC who we always give out about for gloryifying this crap.

On the other hand, the 2 clubs need to wise up, certainly the league seems to be taken a lot more seriously in tyrone. In armagh no one would get too carried away about winning the div 1 league ( and there has been plenty of clubs outside cross who have done it in the last decade). It's november and if your not playing in the ulster club then you should be putting your feet up until january.

Tubberman

Quote from: Jinxy on November 14, 2011, 12:19:24 PM
Whenever I see the name 'Carrickmore' I think to myself "Ah they're the lads that are always fighting".
Think about that for a second.
A club team that are known nationwide, not for their success on the field, but for regularly behaving like thugs.
Now there are probably some people within that club that relish this reputation.
They are morons and they need to be weeded out of the association.
For all I know Dromore could be just as bad but Carrickmore seem to be involved in a lot of dodgy stuff.
Rows on the field is one thing, opposition supporters attacking each other is an absolute disgrace.
Someone said sarcastically earlier "Won't somebody think of the children", well it mightn't be a bad idea as I can only imagine that any kids caught in the middle of the fighting were terrified out of their wits.

I know what you mean. When I hear "Meath", I think "inbred thugs".

As for opposition supporters attacking another, can you honestly say that if you were standing at a match with your own clubs supporters and a supporter from the opposing club reached over the wire and hit one of your players across the head with an umbrella, that nobody from your clubs supporters standing there would react? That's not supporting what happened, just pointing out that it takes two to tango lads.

Well done. You start off with an irrelevant dig at Meath - the 'whataboutery' that ye seem to detest so much when you're on the receiving end.
Then you try to paint the picture that supporters were only defending themselves  :D
There were no agressors I suppose, just lads trying to defend their communities. They're to be commended rather than criticised ::)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Nally Stand

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on November 14, 2011, 01:03:02 PM
Possibly, but there would be plenty enough sensible heads about to step in and diffuse the situation rather than fuel it.

Nonsense. Had someone at any game anywhere in Ireland leaned over the wire at a final and attacked an opposing club player with an umbrella, the end result would have been no different. Suggesting otherwise is utterly fanciful.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tubberman

Quote from: ONeill on November 14, 2011, 12:22:20 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on November 14, 2011, 09:10:45 AM

Also, O'Neill tries to deflect attention by highlighting instances from other counties. That completely misses the point.
If everyone tries to ignore the problem or say "everyone else is doing it", then the problem will never be resolved, and in all likelyhood will get worse.
It's time supporters, clubs and county boards took some responsibility for themselves ffs.

I'm afraid it is not me who missed the point. I wasn't addressing a point. I was meeting one idiotic poster's ravings with another idiotic comment.

It's extremely easy to see through those who will use this as a bit of an opportunity for gratification.

I'd throw the book at whoever is found guilty, individuals and clubs. Should everyone in the club suffer for the actions of a few maggots? In my book yes (to an extent - leave the underage out of it) because it can stimulate healthy debate on a code of conduct and internal discipline.  The Rasharkin incident set the standard here for initial punishment and I think the protagonists on Sunday will receive a similar fate. Ulster GAA should be lauded if that's the case. I just hope the rest of Ireland's provinces will be as clinical when if they've a similar situation to address.

Thankfully supporters brawling is not a common feature of club games in Connacht.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tubberman on November 14, 2011, 01:07:56 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 14, 2011, 12:19:24 PM
Whenever I see the name 'Carrickmore' I think to myself "Ah they're the lads that are always fighting".
Think about that for a second.
A club team that are known nationwide, not for their success on the field, but for regularly behaving like thugs.
Now there are probably some people within that club that relish this reputation.
They are morons and they need to be weeded out of the association.
For all I know Dromore could be just as bad but Carrickmore seem to be involved in a lot of dodgy stuff.
Rows on the field is one thing, opposition supporters attacking each other is an absolute disgrace.
Someone said sarcastically earlier "Won't somebody think of the children", well it mightn't be a bad idea as I can only imagine that any kids caught in the middle of the fighting were terrified out of their wits.

I know what you mean. When I hear "Meath", I think "inbred thugs".

Well done. You start off with an irrelevant dig at Meath - the 'whataboutery' that ye seem to detest so much when you're on the receiving end.
Then you try to paint the picture that supporters were only defending themselves  :D
There were no agressors I suppose, just lads trying to defend their communities. They're to be commended rather than criticised ::)

FFS sake the man starting this thread is a WUM and enjoys pops at Tyrone. Whats good for the goose etc.

And quote where I said anything about supporters defending themselves please. I said that if a supporter attacks one of your players with an umbrella over the fence, any opposing clubs supporters would react. Defending themselves?? Its a bad state of affairs when you have to put words in my mouth so you can find something to disagree with.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

rrhf

What way do you think it'll go now Nally. 

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 14, 2011, 01:11:46 PM
FFS sake the man starting this thread is a WUM and enjoys pops at Tyrone. Whats good for the goose etc.

And quote where I said anything about supporters defending themselves please. I said that if a supporter attacks one of your players with an umbrella over the fence, any opposing clubs supporters would react. Defending themselves?? Its a bad state of affairs when you have to put words in my mouth so you can find something to disagree with.

A Louth supporter clocked Brian Lacey over the head with an umbrella after a championship match in Navan a few years ago and the easy going Kildare folk on the terraces were only laughing at the aggressor.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/gardai-investigate-fans-assault-on-lacey-307812.html

Then again, why would we bother reacting any different? Lacey wasn't exactly one of our own!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Nally Stand

Quote from: rrhf on November 14, 2011, 01:20:30 PM
What way do you think it'll go now Nally.

Hard to know. Will all depend on the refs report and more so, the video. The fact that the ref didn't sanction any Dromore players who were throwing punches doesn't seem like a good omen as far as his report is concerned!

One thing is certain, league play-offs are a farce.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 14, 2011, 01:22:20 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 14, 2011, 01:11:46 PM

A Louth supporter clocked Brian Lacey over the head with an umbrella after a championship match in Navan a few years ago and the easy going Kildare folk on the terraces were only laughing at the aggressor.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/gardai-investigate-fans-assault-on-lacey-307812.html

Then again, why would we bother reacting any different? Lacey wasn't exactly one of our own!

County games are whole other animal. Imagine your own clubman on the pitch, playing in a final, and getting hit across the head by an opposition supporter and a stand full of the player's family, friends and neighbours standing at the scene. The end result would be the same at any match around Ireland. It's fanciful to suggest otherwise. Again, not condoning it, just stressing that it takes two to tango.

rrhf

I wouldnt disagree with you there.  Back  to club football though. Does anyone have the draws for the under 21 championship. 

Up The Middle

Clonoe v Omagh

Dromore/Cookstown v Donaghmore
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

rrhf

Id have thought Omagh from that bunch with their record of success at minor and under 16 level. 

rogueryhill

Saw a quote in the Irish News today...

"Terrified children crouched in stands as the mass brawl spread, with one individual using an 'umbrella as a weapon', according to an eyewitness."

Absolute disgrace. That De Chastelain has a lot to answer for...

rrhf