DUP call for death penalty

Started by ziggysego, November 10, 2011, 01:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 10, 2011, 01:38:28 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on November 10, 2011, 01:32:49 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on November 10, 2011, 01:25:27 PM
The DUP have called a motion at Westminster, to debate the return of the Death Penalty in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15672901

No, they havent. The five mps have signed a petition, according to that link you've put up. Theres a fair difference Zig!

QuoteFive Democratic Unionist MPs from Northern Ireland have signed a motion calling for a full debate in the Commons on the matter...The motion has been signed by David Simpson, Sammy Wilson, Jim Shannon, Gregory Campbell and Jeffrey Donaldson

No they have raised a motion for debate.  Anything to get themselves in the news, non f**king runner!

QuoteMore than 23,000 people have signed a government e-petition urging the return of capital punishment, but more than 30,000 have signed a counter-motion rejecting the idea.

Neither petition is close to the 100,000 signatures needed to trigger consideration for a Commons debate.
The motion has been signed by David Simpson, Sammy Wilson, Jim Shannon, Gregory Campbell and Jeffrey Donaldson.

Its a petiton. To call it a motion and to mention their status as mps gives it more credence than its due - the fact that they're mps is irrelevant in this case, they're just 5 of 23,000

seafoid

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/dec/23/death-sentence

Having established that US death penalty policy is largely set locally, Garland turns to describing why and in what ways the United States retains capital punishment. In Chapter 7 he cites a tradition of community-level executions dating to colonial times, frontier beliefs in meeting violence with violence, and pluralism that inhibits solidarity with victims. Chapter 8 reviews the Legal Defense Fund's litigation, which in 1972 produced, in Furman v. Georgia, a moratorium on executions in the forty-two jurisdictions that authorized them. The backlash was swift, as the following chapter shows in detail. Thirty-four states enacted new death penalty laws before the decade was out. One—Oregon—had not previously authorized capital punishment.

For Garland, the death penalty is "a strange social fact that stands in need of explanation." He approaches it and debates around it "with the sorts of questions and concepts that anthropologists bring to bear on the exotic cultural practices of a foreign society they are struggling to understand." In his view, an important reason Americans retain capital punishment is their fascination with death. While neither the glamour nor the gore that used to attend public executions remains today, he observes, capital cases still generate extensive commentary about victims' deaths and potential deaths of defendants. Great works of literature, like best-selling paperbacks, attract readers by discussing killings and revenge. Garland suggests that the popularity of the mystery story is part of the culture that keeps capital punishment alive. As he explains in Chapter 11, current discourse about death reflects how the purposes that American capital punishment serves have changed over the years.

Garland concludes that capital punishment today is "reasonably well adapted to the purposes that it serves, but deterrent crime control and retributive justice are not prominent among them." Instead, the death penalty promotes "gratifications," of "professional and political users, of the mass media, and of its public audience." In particular, he contends, capital punishment derives "its emotional power, its popular interest, and its perennial appeal" from five types of "death penalty discourse." They are: (1) political exploitation of the gap between the Furman decision and popular opinion; (2) adversarial legal proceedings featuring cultural tensions between capital punishment and liberal humanism; (3) the political association of capital punishment with larger political and cultural issues, such as civil rights, states' rights, and crime control; (4) demands for revenge; and (5) the emotional power of imagining killing and death. He concludes that "the American death penalty has been transformed from a penal instrument that puts persons to death to a peculiar institution that puts death into discourse for political and cultural purposes."

Notably, Garland all but denies that the death penalty serves significant deterrent purposes. Death penalty states, after all, have generally higher crime rates than "abolitionist" ones. For Garland, this differential helps—by eliminating one possibility—to explain the people's decisions; it tells us nothing about the wisdom of those decisions.

To illustrate how political and cultural purposes of the death penalty have replaced penal purposes, he writes:

Support for death penalty laws allows politicians to show that they support law enforcement.... California Senator Barbara Boxer bragged that she voted 100 times for the death penalty. And George W. Bush first ran for president in a year when, as governor of Texas, he had presided over the largest number of state executions ever carried out in a single twelve-month period—a total of forty in the year 2000.

seafoid

Stew

Should drunk drivers who kill either passengers or pedestrians be executed ?

Eamonnca1

Some people have been watching too much CSI (which is really a sci-fi show since so much of the technology they use doesn't actually exist) where the detectives always get their man using the supposed silver bullet of forensic evidence. The real world is a bit different. It was state-of-the-art forensic evidence that was used to convict the Birmingham Six. It took years to figure out that the same substance on their fingers came from something as innocent as playing cards and not explosives.  If they'd been executed they would have never been able to hear their exonerations.

tyssam5

Quote from: stew on November 10, 2011, 02:22:54 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 10, 2011, 01:35:32 PM
You would think SF are mad in the head and then along comes the DUP to remind you what right headers look like.

I believe child molesters should be put to death, does that make me a header??

Maybe you could even apply to be the hangman yourself!

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on November 10, 2011, 02:30:51 PM
You would think SF are mad in the head and then along comes the DUP to remind you what right headers look like.

Not just that...

:D :D :D
MWWSI 2017

passedit

Quote from: orangeman on November 10, 2011, 01:25:55 PM
Be careful what you wish for.

Indeed

The death penalty remained on the statute books in the North until 1973 with the Unionists constantly calling for it's implementation until this happened

QuoteThursday 15 February 1973
item mark Albert Browne, then a member of the Ulster Defence Association (UDA), was found guilty of killing a member of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) in October 1972. [Initially Browne was sentenced to death but this was later commuted to life imprisonment. The death penalty was later abolished as part of the Emergency Provisions Act.]

Commuted after representations from, amongst others, the Good Doctor himself.
Don't Panic

seafoid

The US executed Aileen Wournos even though she was insane . She passed a sanity test
the day before this film was taken. It is very sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=yFBcjII3QAE

stew

Quote from: Rossfan on November 10, 2011, 03:49:55 PM
Quote from: stew on November 10, 2011, 03:12:00 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 10, 2011, 02:46:58 PM

' fraid so Stew.
Miscarriages of justice and all that. 

The US ends up executing handicapped and poor people.

Anyway the tories aren't going to bring back the death penalty

So wanting the molesters of children to be put to death makes me a header, you are one sick puppy seafoid.

what the fcuk has the US got to do with the DUP, you cant help yourself can you???

Only when the evidence is 100% certain should they be executed, that means DNA evidence that in incontrovertible.
and who would decide that the evidence is 100% ?
Some latter day Frank Skuse?
Today's incontrovertible evidence is tomorrow's amazement at how people could have been so stupid.
Hang 'em , shoot 'em ,etc has never stopped crime yet .
It's only a basis to satisfy the bloodlust of Right wing simple minded nutters.

So only simple minded, right wing nutters want these cnuts shot?

Tell you what, I know what will cure them, lets all join hands and think happy thoughts, that will cure the cnuts.

Liberal arseholes like yourself make me puke, if your kid was raped you would probably keep the same ideals, in short you will always protect the scum of society, you are beyond hope.

This has nothing to do with liberal or conservative, it is about common decency and how important it is to protect the children of society.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

seafoid

Quote from: stew on November 10, 2011, 10:48:04 PM

' fraid so Stew.

So wanting the molesters of children to be put to death makes me a header, you are one sick puppy seafoid.

what the fcuk has the US got to do with the DUP, you cant help yourself can you???

Only when the evidence is 100% certain should they be executed, that means DNA evidence that in incontrovertible.
Today's incontrovertible evidence is tomorrow's amazement at how people could have been so stupid.

Tell you what, I know what will cure them, lets all join hands and think happy thoughts, that will cure the cnuts.

Liberal arseholes like yourself make me puke, if your kid was raped you would probably keep the same ideals, in short you will always protect the scum of society, you are beyond hope.

This has nothing to do with liberal or conservative, it is about common decency and how important it is to protect the children of society.

Stew

What is your position on the children of unemployed people who are too lazy to go out and get a job ?
Should they be executed ? 

stew

Quote from: seafoid on November 10, 2011, 10:51:37 PM

' fraid so Stew.

Stew

What is your position on the children of unemployed people who are too lazy to go out and get a job ?
Should they be executed ?

My position on children of the lazy is that I hope they learn from the sloth of their parents, dare to be different and get educated and develop the ability to be self sufficient.

You are a tr**p, when did i suggest people such as these get educated???

I despise child molesters, you know, adults that ruin the lives of innocent children and their families, you seem to love them, do you think having sexual relations with children is ok??

mylestheslasher

' fraid so Stew.

I'll give you this stew, if one of my kids were abused (i can barely type that) there would never be a court case. There are plenty on here that would call me a left wing liberal too btw

Eamonnca1

Quote from: stew on November 10, 2011, 11:13:49 PM
My position on children of the lazy is that I hope they learn from the sloth of their parents, dare to be different and get educated and develop the ability to be self sufficient.

I despise child molesters, you know, adults that ruin the lives of innocent children and their families, you seem to love them, do you think having sexual relations with children is ok??

Let me know when the mothership arrives.

The Worker

and who votes for these cretins?

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 10, 2011, 11:23:20 PM
Quote from: stew on November 10, 2011, 11:13:49 PM

Let me know when the mothership arrives.

It has arrived, edge of the grand canyon, just jump off the edge and do us all a favor.