My Letter to the Irish News about the 'Occupy' protests

Started by ExcellentDriver, November 06, 2011, 04:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 15, 2011, 04:22:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2011, 04:15:46 PM
Here To, have a look at Sinn Féin's 'alternate' budget proposals and tell us what you think:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1115/breaking42.html
Generally don't get involved in threads or topics that I know little to
nothing about....perhaps a little lesson you two would do well to pay
attention to  ;)

So you admit to knowing nothing about politics, taxes, budgets and economics. Fair play.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2011, 04:30:41 PM
Here To, have a look at Sinn Féin's 'alternate' budget proposals and tell us what you think:

attention to  ;)

So you admit to knowing nothing about politics, taxes, budgets and economics. Fair play.
Paying attention to budget proposals in Ireland...yes muppet!
Phew....nearly got me there ::)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 15, 2011, 04:41:53 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2011, 04:30:41 PM

attention to  ;)

Paying attention to budget proposals in Ireland...yes muppet!
Phew....nearly got me there ::)

You are programmed to attack anyone that disagrees with the more extreme Republican ideology.

You can't have an opinion on the above because there is no one to tell you what to think.

MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Very hard for me to disagree with any of that.

Groucho

I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2011, 04:54:38 PM

Very hard for me to disagree with any of that.

There is a problem.

If everyone earning less than €75,000 will be 'better off' then they are either lying or their plan is nonsense.

This is from the Department of Finance 2009: http://taxpolicy.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/09.03.pdf

Gross Earnings  % Income Earners  % Tax Paid
> €200,000                 1%                  26%
> €100,100                 4%                  48%
> €75,000                   8%                  62%
> €50,000                 19%                  82%
< €50,000                 81%                  18%

'Better off' suggests they will lower the tax take for 92% of the workforce. That will reduce the tax take and increase the deficit which is already out of control. Don't get me wrong I don't like taxes any more than the next man, but this is just populism.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Muppet - I think there's an explanation. USC is not included in tax take but is apparently a credit on the expenditure side, much like the Health levy was. Tax take would not change but the abolition of the USC and replacement by health levy and PRSI would leave earners under €75k better off. The other expenditure measure must make up the gap.

They say this has all been costed by the Department of Finance (with the exception of the Wealth Tax) so its not just voodoo economics like may have been practiced previously.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2011, 05:36:24 PM
Muppet - I think there's an explanation. USC is not included in tax take but is apparently a credit on the expenditure side, much like the Health levy was. Tax take would not change but the abolition of the USC and replacement by health levy and PRSI would leave earners under €75k better off. The other expenditure measure must make up the gap.

They say this has all been costed by the Department of Finance (with the exception of the Wealth Tax) so its not just voodoo economics like may have been practiced previously.

USC replaced by a 1% levy seems to be what is suggested. I take your point but either way 92% of workers would be contributing 4% less of their incomes to the revenue. Hard to see how that would address the deficit. No mention of what to do with the banks and bondholders either, surprisingly.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

QuoteYou are programmed to attack anyone that disagrees with the more extreme Republican ideology.
I simply posted a link which you inevitably attacked as usual ::)
...reverse psychology at its finest, hardly noticed :D

QuoteYou can't have an opinion on the above because there is no one to tell you what to think.
Unlike yourself Muppet, I tend to stick to subjects on Countries I live in and know
something about...not sounding like a know it all clown trying to seem smarter than everyone else with your white crow mentality!  ;D
  - Walter Lippmann

seafoid

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 15, 2011, 05:47:45 PM
QuoteYou are programmed to attack anyone that disagrees with the more extreme Republican ideology.

QuoteYou can't have an opinion on the above because there is no one to tell you what to think.
Unlike yourself Muppet, I tend to stick to subjects on Countries I live in and know
something about...not sounding like a know it all clown trying to seem smarter than everyone else with your white crow mentality!  ;D

Where in Israel do you live? 

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on November 15, 2011, 07:58:16 PM

An Banc Iarthair.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

I don't have to have lived in a Country to know the out and out
sheer blinkered hatred directed towards it!
Where would you be muppet without the cheerleader back up :P
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on November 15, 2011, 08:09:37 PM

I don't have to have lived in a Country to know the out and out
sheer blinkered hatred directed towards it!
Where would you be muppet without the cheerleader back up :P

It beats being a cheerleader.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2011, 08:00:50 PM

An Banc Iarthair.

An Banc thiar.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM