MTV EMAs

Started by Tony Baloney, November 04, 2011, 11:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 04, 2011, 02:29:41 PM
Traffic disrupted and a huge policing bill left for all of us.

And its not even July.

Minder

Belfast City Council and the NI Tourist Board have contributed over £1m to the staging of this event. The MTV music awards in Liverpool in 2009 allegedly brought a £2.9m boost to the city economy. The tens of millions that is being talked about flowing into the local economy is bollocks I would imagine.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

What type of tourist visits somewhere on the back of lady gahgah having visited there?   ::)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hardy

I dunno, but the English Market in Cork is teeming with tourists ever since the queen of the UK visited there and she wouldn't be as big as Lady Gaga, I'd say.

Denn Forever

If Rihana is going will she invite the farmer?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Maguire01

Some people love to complain!
Belfast is the smallest city ever to get this event
50 local companies have been hired by MTV for this event
8,000 hotel rooms are booked in the city
Empty apartments in the Obel and Arc developments rented out

About £1m of public money has been invested in this by BCC and NITB. I'd call it money well spent.

Maguire01

The Lord Mayor is a Belieber!

Minder

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 05, 2011, 10:53:39 PM

I would say Biebers wristband cost more than the Lord Mayors suit.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on November 05, 2011, 11:32:13 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 05, 2011, 10:53:39 PM

I would say Biebers wristband cost more than the Lord Mayors suit.
Average industrial wage, Minder.

Maguire01

He was wearing the same suit at the Norn Iron Music Awards on Wednesday.

Minder

Bieber looks delighted at the photo opportunity.

Tony Baloney

Apparently they've closed the road around The Merchant as there are about 1000 teenagers outside the hotel! What sort of parents are about these days?!

ross4life

Any pictures of bieber's girlfriend shes far more photogenic.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 05, 2011, 11:55:54 PM
Apparently they've closed the road around The Merchant as there are about 1000 teenagers outside the hotel! What sort of parents are about these days?!
Fairly busy around the Europa tonight as well. Apparently Bruno Mars was playing the piano in the Merchant.

Orangemac

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 04, 2011, 09:37:44 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 04, 2011, 08:12:16 PM
Belfast City Council and the NI Tourist Board have contributed over £1m to the staging of this event. The MTV music awards in Liverpool in 2009 allegedly brought a £2.9m boost to the city economy. The tens of millions that is being talked about flowing into the local economy is bollocks I would imagine.
Tens of millions is an overstatement, but if it at least breaks even then it's been worth it. Sunday is part of a bigger picture as I see it to show that the city is capable of holding such events and likely lessons to be learned for the future. It's not just about the short term.
+1 Some people love to have something to crib about, probably love July coming round as it gives then plenty to moan about.

Good to see such positivity about Belfast, anything which makes the place seem like a normal European city is good. Most young people want to enjoy themselves and couldn't give a rats arse about national politics as can be seen from dropping electoral turnout.

It was not that long ago that hardly any major concerts were held in the North and if someone did play here they were constantly asked about what they thought of the North. A major event like this should be celebrated as much as possible