9 (60%)
No it was a government/other lie.
4 (26.7%)
Don't know.
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

haveaharp

Quote from: Puckoon on November 03, 2011, 03:40:13 PM
I'm just trying to think of a reason to not go to my friends party, that doesn't sound like I'm a raving lunatic.

Forgive me for the wikipedia definition - you could tell them to feck off with 5/11 and tell the Halloween is for us more sensible folk.

The Roman Catholic celebration is associated with the doctrine that the souls of the faithful who at death have not been cleansed from the temporal punishment due to venial sins and from attachment to mortal sins cannot immediately attain the beatific vision in heaven, and that they may be helped to do so by prayer and by the sacrifice of the Mass. In other words, when they died, they had not yet attained full sanctification and moral perfection, a requirement for entrance into Heaven. This sanctification is carried out posthumously in Purgatory.

deiseach

Quote from: Puckoon on November 03, 2011, 03:40:13 PM
I'm just trying to think of a reason to not go to my friends party, that doesn't sound like I'm a raving lunatic.

By coming on here hoping to find reason, you are clearly demonstrating yourself to be a raving lunatic

Puckoon

Thats it - I'm not going. I sent a text with reservations of attendance due to the sectarian nature of Guy Fawkes celebrations and the biggotted nature of the Victorians.

I got one back telling me I'm a silly ****. Outraged I am. I'm just glad no one told me to move on.

thejuice

ah sure isn't Halloween just a chistian rebranding of Samhain? Are not most things in western european christianity just rebranded pre-christian symbols and festivals?

Was going to head down to Lewes to see the Bonfire night parade. It looks very interesting. Unfortunately herself wants to go have dinner in a friends house.

I don't personally see it as anything threatening or sectarian and see it more as a historical and cultural tradition.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: thejuice on November 03, 2011, 05:00:05 PM
ah sure isn't Halloween just a chistian rebranding of Samhain? Are not most things in western european christianity just rebranded pre-christian symbols and festivals?

Was going to head down to Lewes to see the Bonfire night parade. It looks very interesting. Unfortunately herself wants to go have dinner in a friends house.

I don't personally see it as anything threatening or sectarian and see it more as a historical and cultural tradition.

Good job my ancestors left Lewis then isn't it. They ended up in Ulster, until they had to leave again.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Puckoon on November 03, 2011, 03:19:46 PM
Ive been invited to a Guy Fawkes party myself on Saturday night - many thousands of miles away from big bad old England.

Should I go, or should I stay in and close the blinds and turn the music up?

Guy Fawkes day is also my birthday - should that influence the decision at all?

Also my youngest daughters birthday too, FFS was going to cinema and then McDonald's with them and her friends. That's that scrapped  ;D ;D

Remember remember the 5Th of November
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Olly

Go to the party. Celebrate the intention. Same as the Titanic celebration. We don't commemorate the iceberg's ruthlessness.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

deiseach

Quote from: Olly on November 03, 2011, 07:52:46 PM
Go to the party. Celebrate the intention. Same as the Titanic celebration. We don't commemorate the iceberg's ruthlessness.

Mrs d: "You don't celebrate Guy Fawkes Night in Ireland, do you?"
My Cousin: "We would have had he succeeded"