Brian McGuigan and Phillip Jordan announce their retirement

Started by muppet, November 01, 2011, 08:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Jordan saying on Twitter that Hughes has retired too..

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: heffo on January 30, 2012, 09:08:05 PM
Jordan saying on Twitter that Hughes has retired too..

from @ officialgaa on Twitter:

QuoteGAA.ie can confirm that Tyrone's Kevin Hughes has announced his retirement from inter-county football. #gaa
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

ONeill

A great player in Tyrone's history. Always thought he got an All-Star in '03 but seems he didn't. Just MOTM in the final. One of his best games was last year in Omagh v Antrim. Also memorable was a point v Kerry towards the end in the 2008 final.

He's married to a Derrytresk woman so rumours abound that when he talked about 'one more year' she was seen flicking through a heavyweight handbag catalogue, hastening his decision.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not surprising, and what a contribution over the years, from Minor (as a star forward!) right through, to being pivotally instrumental in the 2008 AIF.

Maith an fear Kevin!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rrhf

Was a major leader in the smashing down of heavens door. A magnificent aif, apparently was never fashionable enough to be an all star despite being ulster poy 2 years ago.  His shooting gave us the odd laugh but his leadership qualities and gut busting football gave us the best 10 years of our lives.

omagh_gael

Best of luck in retirement hub. What a man! Heart of a lion and had a great engine. You were always guaranteed to roar "ah for fcuk sake hub" at least 2 or 3 times a game but that added to the entertainment. Will always remember his lung bursting run from mf at the start of the 2nd half in the 08 final to set up tommy's goal. Could have burst the net himself but sure that would be too straight forward. Cheers for the memories hub!

nrico2006

I can remember around 2001 or 2002 when he was playing full forward and he took some lovely scores of both feet.  As the years went by his shooting seemed to go a wee bit wonky.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

As a man said yesterday, you'll miss the Russian Roulette he played with us in the stands, thinking 'will this be the day he takes my head clean off?'.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Club Rossa

Great servant to the Tyrone cause,overcame personal tragedy and was a key player in Tyrone's success under Mickey.

God14

Firstly - saddened to see one of the most popular footballers in Ulster retire. He brought great joy to many Tyrone fans, with inspirational performances on the biggest days... A more genuine decent fella you will not come across. He really made the most of what talent he had, and lived up to Hartes old motto "be the best you can be"

On a sidenote, I was caught by suprise by this call. I thought Harte had said before Christmas that there would be no more retiree's?

Bearing in mind Marty Swift was a regular last year & he has emigrated to Austriala we have lost 7 players now. As someone remarked on gaaboard before - we are currently witnessing the biggest disbandment of a team in GAA History.

Is there a cloud now over the futures of Ricey, Gormley & Davy Harte? Clearkly the wiley old maestro Harte is keeping his cards close to his chest but could the magnificent seven, become 8? ... or 9? or 10?

nrico2006

Whats the latest with Aidan Cassidy?  Is he injured again? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Sanchez

Sad to see big Hub go. Ok maybe not as inherently talented as Mc Guigan or Jordan but he was some servant to Tyrone football. A savage of a man in an age when midfield was beginning to be bypassed. Just as he was for Tyrone, I'd say he'll give Killeshil 100% devotion and commitment in the next number of years.

BennyHarp

Another big game player gone - I always thought he did the donkey work that enabled Sean to have his freedom from midfield. Did a job for Tyrone that nobody else could for manys a year in midfield. Fair play to him and I wish him all the best for his retirement.
That was never a square ball!!