Croke Park Pitch

Started by bottlethrower7, March 12, 2007, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bottlethrower7

The pitch looks to be in a very poor state. For yesterday's hurling finals the field looked very patchy (though didn't have any noticeable affect on the players). Down by the sideline looks very worn out and the 3 big RBS signs stained into the grass don't look good at all.

The showpiece club events of the year take place next saturday. The players involved in that deserve better for their big day out.

Its very bad form and was a bad miscalculation by the GAA. The pitch should be left lie for a month or so before the paddy's day games (and the junior/inter club finals) next year so as not to have a repeat performance.

I notice also that the advertising hoardings were covered over. I hope the advertisers who pay their money for advertising at GAA games get their ads put back up for the paddy's day games. Its only fair after all.

Its an interesting clash next saturday. It will be interesting to see how the rugby affects the club final attendance, especially considering that the weather isn't meant to be all thast great.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lynchbhoy

I was at a conference/seminar held in croker last Wed morning.
Yes you could still see the RBS logo partially faded out, but to my eyes from up in the premium level - the pitch was looking like it was in magnificent condition.

As it was very wet though I was questioning whether the two guys cutting the grass shoul dbe leaving it until the place dried up a wee bit..but I am sure they know their job better then me..

magpie seanie

Obviously Gnevin thinks rugby players deserve more respect than GAA players. That's what it boils down to.

DUBSFORSAM1

Well I don't see what the problem is if the pitch "doesn't have any noticeable affect on the players".......people whinged last year that the pitch was poor even though it looked great...now they whinge it doesn't look good but is in great shape....

bottlethrower7

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on March 12, 2007, 12:38:55 PM
Well I don't see what the problem is if the pitch "doesn't have any noticeable affect on the players".......people whinged last year that the pitch was poor even though it looked great...now they whinge it doesn't look good but is in great shape....

who said its in 'great shape'? I certainly didn't. I said the exact opposite.

Also, they're putting up seating in hill 16. I wonder who is footing the bill for that one. And if the GAA, I wonder how much of the 3 million they took in from the rugby games has been taken up so they can facilitate their next tenants.

And what if 84,000 people decided they wanted to go to the club finals? Would some have to be turned away as they can't be faciliated due to the fact the hill had reduced capacity because of the upcoming soccer matches?

gnevin? I missed the point of your post. Elaborate if you don't mind.

GalwayBayBoy

I have to say I saw the highlights of the club games last night and I didn't notice the pitch being in any disrepair.

Gnevin

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2007, 12:30:45 PM
Obviously Gnevin thinks rugby players deserve more respect than GAA players. That's what it boils down to.

No i just think certain people will find any thing too moan about esp if its Croke Park related .  The six nations logo on the the pitch !!! Owe no call FAI/IRFU tell them the deal is off.  Adverts covered up even worse , panic stations the GAA s falling apart .
The only thing worth mentioning was small parts of the pitch looked poor but going by what i  saw and what lynchbhoy say it is fine . No doubt it was in a worse stay last summer when the players couldn't even stand on it
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Dinny Breen

Lynchbhoy,

Were you at the Oracle User's Group Conf? Also saw the pitch last Wednesday and it looked great.

Whinge Whinge Whinge any excuse?
#newbridgeornowhere

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 12, 2007, 12:50:16 PM

Also, they're putting up seating in hill 16. I wonder who is footing the bill for that one. And if the GAA, I wonder how much of the 3 million they took in from the rugby games has been taken up so they can facilitate their next tenants.

And what if 84,000 people decided they wanted to go to the club finals? Would some have to be turned away as they can't be faciliated due to the fact the hill had reduced capacity because of the upcoming soccer matches?

Bottlethrower - you said it didn't impact the players.......thats all that counts to my mind.....

The seating is being paid by the FAI as they can't use terracing for a match.....

84k would never be going so thats a facile arguement....

Hound

Quoteyou said it didn't impact the players.......thats all that counts to my mind.....

The seating is being paid by the FAI as they can't use terracing for a match.....

84k would never be going so thats a facile arguement....

I agree with that.

But I'll be a little annoyed if the three RBS signs on the pitch are visible come Saturday.

thewobbler

Where to start? Now that the doomsday scenarios obviously aren't going to unfold, BT7 is now desparately seeking anything that even resembles a piece of straw to clutch onto.

QuoteAlso, they're putting up seating in hill 16. I wonder who is footing the bill for that one.
You have to be on a wind up here, or else you are bordering on the simple. Tell me something, do you think the GAA footed the bill for erecting U2's stage?

QuoteAnd what if 84,000 people decided they wanted to go to the club finals?
What if you ran out of stupid "what if" scenarios?

QuoteThe pitch should be left lie for a month or so before the paddy's day games (and the junior/inter club finals) next year so as not to have a repeat performance.
Why just a month? Surely if left for 6 months, then the pitch would be in an even better condition. Let's also ignore the fact also that it's now possible to host loss-making events like JFC and IFC finals at Croker because new income sources have recently been generated.

QuoteIt will be interesting to see how the rugby affects the club final attendance
Basically, what you're saying is that unless crowds are up at the AI club finals this year, then rugby is ruining the GAA. You must wake up every day feeling wonderful.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 12, 2007, 01:18:07 PM
I have to say I saw the highlights of the club games last night and I didn't notice the pitch being in any disrepair.

yeah, you could tell a lot from those highlights alright.

Gnevin

Why in gods name would the GAA  pay for that , The IFRU wanted more press boxes to they paid of more them selfs , The FAI have to have seats they pay for the seats .

Bottle your like a man who has given his neighbour a lend of a hammer and is now complaining their a few marks on the head of it

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Gnevin on March 12, 2007, 01:44:51 PM

Why in gods name would the GAA  pay for that , The IFRU wanted more press boxes to they paid of more them selfs , The FAI have to have seats they pay for the seats .

Bottle your like a man who has given his neighbour a lend of a hammer and is now complaining their a few marks on the head of it

The GAA paid for the floodlights. It was the soccer and rugby that needed them, not hurling or football.

I don't know for sure but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the GAA paying for the bucket seats. Its up to them as landlords to rent a stadium thats suitable for their tenant's use. Unless they have some deal whereby it comes out of the gate reciepts. But again, I doubt that.