Scor ballad group songs

Started by jen83, October 18, 2011, 10:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jen83

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me pretty please? I'm looking to compile a list of songs that would be suitable to use with a scor ballad group. I know it's normally one fast one slow but I'm having a little bit of trouble picking a fast one for one of my groups- would anyone have and suggestions- its for a scor na nog group? I Tought I might start the list below.....

The cavan girl
Isle of hope isle of tears
Lovely laois
Easy and slow
Molly Malone
Spancil hill
The fields of Athenry

The star of the county Down
The Spanish lady
The darling girl from Clare
The sweet county Clare
I know my love

Whats another year .............

Denn Forever

What are the criteria for the songs?  Do they have to be Irish or can they be contemporary?

Black is the colour
She walks through the fair

Travellin Soldier
Anything by John Spillane
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

sheamy

Black eyed peas 'I gotta feeling' is the favoured direction of the Croke Park marketing team...

TacadoirArdMhacha

Our club sang "Mary Mac" as a "fast" song one year. Not sure of the others.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

5 Sams

Do you get extra marks if you do one as Gaeilge???
The Aristocrat Years

Rois

From my scor na n-og days, I remember my two favourite songs (always sung by the same opposing clubs) as being The Skillet Pot (though the song is about colcannon) and Grace. 

jen83

Oooo the little skillet pot- now there's one I can try- songs should be about Ireland. Have them doing isle of hope & I know my love ATM but they are having trouble singing it

The Worker

1 of the songs has to be in irish

Eamonnca1

Only our rivers run free. That used to be a popular one in my day.

sheamy

Catchy number to slit your wrists too  :) Only joking but it raises another question going to the heart of what Scor is.

What do people see it as? Preserving Irish culture or developing it? Are there guidelines on what can and can't be sung? I think it sometimes lacks a bit of joy and is a little rigid. Anyone agree. Let me say in advance that I totally support the Scor movement and want to see it go from strength to strength.

Traditional Irish culture for me was always about enjoyment. It was activities that people engaged in to be social. I just think it's lacking a little something but can't put my finger on it.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sheamy on October 19, 2011, 12:00:44 PM
Catchy number to slit your wrists too  :) Only joking but it raises another question going to the heart of what Scor is.

What do people see it as? Preserving Irish culture or developing it? Are there guidelines on what can and can't be sung? I think it sometimes lacks a bit of joy and is a little rigid. Anyone agree. Let me say in advance that I totally support the Scor movement and want to see it go from strength to strength.

Traditional Irish culture for me was always about enjoyment. It was activities that people engaged in to be social. I just think it's lacking a little something but can't put my finger on it.

Haven't been to it in donkey's years so I can't really say. The Question Time used to be tedious and drawn out, seemed to take up half the night and wasn't exactly entertaining. I hear they're using a new format now of a table quiz which is probably an improvement, but what would be even better would be a TV show style 'fingers on the buzzers' setup and an electronic scoreboard so you can see who's ahead. The equipment for that sort of thing does exist and it's gotten a whole lot more affordable of late.

I was at the GAA congress years ago and at the evening function they got a young fella to come in and read a story. He was the all-Ireland Scor na nOg champion in recitation. I thought he was going to rattle off a poem like in the old days. Instead it was just a funny story he was telling, but it was so well told and so funny that he brought the house down.  He couldn't have been much older than about 12 either.

So from my limited knowledge it looks like it is changing with the times.  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who actually goes to the event nowadays.

jen83

I mean this in the nicest way possible I really do but I think it's very amateurish. Judges who have no formal qualification in music are asked to judge items and to be fair what one person might like another may not.

Joxer

Lakes of Pontchartrain
Bright Blue Rose
P it stands for Paddy