Long Journeys For Club Games

Started by GAA_Talk, October 14, 2011, 11:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA_Talk

Was reading the Kerry Championship thread and seen a few lads comment on distances travelled for club games.

In Down the greatest Distance would probably be Warrenpoint to Portaferry, which is about 40 miles apart but requires a ferry crossing. if the ferry was off then it would be about 65 miles. Now these teams would rarley play each other, so taking into consideration teams that regularly compete the greatest distance would probably be Ardglass to Glenn which is about 38 Miles.

So I was wondering what would be the greatest distance two teams in the same county would have to travel to play each other?

And, would anything come close to that of Cork clubs Allihies to Youghal which are 190km apart?

mouview

In Galway, back when both were Senior and the senior league then consisted of 16 teams (I think, which was a heck of a lot of games during the year), St. Grellans (now Ballinasloe) sometimes had to play Clifden. Given that the distance between them is 85+ miles, they tried to arrange to meet half way. If that didn't work out, I think one or other of them ceded the fixture.

Theoretically, clubs from the NE tip of the county, e.g. Glenamaddy, Williamstown, could play clubs from the western parts of Connemara, e.g. Na Piarsaigh, Carna/Caiseal, Lettermore at Intermediate or Senior levels - also distances of 80+ miles with middling-to-poor roads and a city in the middle to contend with. If and when either of the former clubs play Clonbur next year, the majority of the journey would be routed through Co. Mayo. At underage level there is a rule that competing teams don't have to travel greater than 30 miles; if they do, the game is fixed for somewhere in between.

Hurling, being confined largely to the south of the county doesn't have such longer distances to put up with, although Portumna near enough 50 miles from Pearse stadium, Salthill.

Tubberman

Just checked Google Maps for Belmullet to Shrule - 119km
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

thewobbler

Maybe not as the crow flies, or in terms of mileage, but leaving those mad hurling folk from the peninsual out of the equation, I'd think the longest trip in Down in terms of time taken would be St Paul's to An Riocht.  There's no easy way to Kilkeel from anywhere apart from Ballymartin.

5 Sams

Quote from: thewobbler on October 14, 2011, 12:10:25 PM
Maybe not as the crow flies, or in terms of mileage, but leaving those mad hurling folk from the peninsual out of the equation, I'd think the longest trip in Down in terms of time taken would be St Paul's to An Riocht.  There's no easy way to Kilkeel from anywhere apart from Ballymartin.

..and the Isle of Man.
The Aristocrat Years

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on October 14, 2011, 11:56:49 AM
In Galway, back when both were Senior and the senior league then consisted of 16 teams (I think, which was a heck of a lot of games during the year), St. Grellans (now Ballinasloe) sometimes had to play Clifden. Given that the distance between them is 85+ miles, they tried to arrange to meet half way. If that didn't work out, I think one or other of them ceded the fixture.

That's the one that immediately came to mind for me. 137km. Probably a 2 hour drive now given the motorway between Galway and Ballinasloe but it was probably near enough a 3 hour drive one way back then. And that might not even be the longest in the county.

fitzroyalty

You have to travel back in time to reach some parts of south Armagh.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 14, 2011, 01:20:15 PM
You have to travel back in time to reach some parts of south Armagh.

Clans will be doing a bit of time travelling next year too, the whole way back to Division 2 and down to places like Silverbridge :D

fitzroyalty

Thanks for that reminder big striker! Lol On the bright side at least we don't have to go any further past the Bridge!

ardtole

Quote from: GAA_Talk on October 14, 2011, 11:30:53 AM
Was reading the Kerry Championship thread and seen a few lads comment on distances travelled for club games.

In Down the greatest Distance would probably be Warrenpoint to Portaferry, which is about 40 miles apart but requires a ferry crossing. if the ferry was off then it would be about 65 miles. Now these teams would rarley play each other, so taking into consideration teams that regularly compete the greatest distance would probably be Ardglass to Glenn which is about 38 Miles.

So I was wondering what would be the greatest distance two teams in the same county would have to travel to play each other?

And, would anything come close to that of Cork clubs Allihies to Youghal which are 190km apart?

Id say from ardglass to St Michaels magheralin would be further

Declan

Longest in Dublin would be Faughs v Judes  :D

aontroim

Quote from: hardstation on October 14, 2011, 03:31:07 PM
Portaferry to Ballycastle is some hike.

82 miles / 131 km - almost half a tank of fuel or more round trip!  How long until Down teams are forced to travel to play their Antrim club games  :D

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tubberman on October 14, 2011, 11:56:58 AM
Just checked Google Maps for Belmullet to Shrule - 119km

Western People did one of these a few months back. Takes more than 2 hours from Glenamoy (Cill Chomain) to Louisburgh!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

boojangles

Blacklion in County Cavan home of Shannon Gaels club is 108km or over 2 hours drive from Kingscourt in Co. Cavan. For a small enough county thats a fair distance.

maddog

Got to be some long spins in Donegal, for example Ardara are playing Malin tomorrow