The Kerry Championship

Started by phpearse, October 11, 2011, 09:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 13, 2011, 02:09:56 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on October 12, 2011, 09:42:49 PM
Quote from: tc_manchester on October 12, 2011, 10:55:11 AM
I've got to say that I wish Tyrone would bring this in. The major problem that most counties have is that if a player for a non-senior club is not spotted by the time they are minors than they rarely get a chance to play for the county. A late developer has some chance if he's playing senior football because he can be seen in the Senior championship but a player in junior or intermediate football won't be seen. If you have divisional sides in the senior chanpionship then they can be spotted.  If you look at kerry they have Paul Galvin, Declan O'Sullivan and Bryan Sheehan from non-senior clubs. In fact if you look at the 41 players listed on the senior panel - 22 are from senior clubs, 11 from intermediate and 8 from junior. People wonder why Kerry are strong but are not winning many underage titles. I believe that much of it has to do with the way the senior championship is structured. They find the best footballers in the county no matter what club they are playing for
Loughshore (Brocagh Derrytresk Stewartstown and Bracckaville)
South Tyrone (Killyman Moy Eglish Killeshil)
Clogher valley (Augher Clogher Aghaloo Eskra)
West Tyrone (Castlederg Aghayaran Drumquin Dregish)
North  Tyrone (Strabane Urney Clann Owen Roes)
Mid Tyrone (Lough Gortin Kildress Pomeroy)
Mid West (Beragh Fintona Drumragh T@((s).

Some interesting bedfellows!

That south Tyrone combo is as likely to happen as the Yanks handing Alaska back to the Russians Id say! Would be a quality side though if it did happen.

I think (for people who don't get the concept) we are lucky in Kerry in that the groupings for divisions are so natural geographically, most players will have gone to school together in a "hub" town, like Cahirciveen for South Kerry for example..its built into the system from U-14s upwards, so they get familiar with each other plenty before adult level.
I can assure you that its a huge deal for all players and supporters from all parts of a division if they do well, ask Darran O'Sullivan how much he treasures his Co. Medal with Mid-Kerry (which led to him becoming Kerry's winning captain in 2009) and I know Seamus Moynihan for example cites his 3-in-a-row with East Kerry (Glenflesk his club went on to become Senior for a while) as a massive positive influence in his career.
I think in Cork, divisions is necessary due to the sheer size and numbers involved..in Kerry, you could have a c/ship without amalgamations, but by now there is a tradition built up with them and it would dilute the quality of the c/ship massively to get rid of them.
For those interested, the divisions playing in the c/ship and the clubs involved are:

Shannon Rangers (Tarbert, Ballylongford, Asdee, Ballydonoghue, Beale, Ballyduff)
Feale Rangers (Moyvane, Duagh, Listowel Emmetts, Finuge, St.Senans, Clounmacon)
St. Kierans (Desmonds, Scartaglin,Cordal, Brosna, Knocknagoshel, Ballymacelligott, Currow)
St Brendans (Na Gaeil,Churchill,St.Pats, John Mitchels)
West Kerry (An Gaeltacht,Castlegregory,Annascaul,Lispole)
Mid Kerry (Milltown-Castlemaine,Beaufort,Glenbeigh-Glencar,Keel,Cromane)
East Kerry (Fossa,Listry, Glenflesk,Firies,Spa)
Kenmare (Kenmare,Tuosist,Templenoe,Kilgarvan)
South Kerry (St Marys,Renard,Sneem-Derrynane,Skellig Rangers,Dromid Pearses)

Also, Ciarrai_thuaidh, would you agree that the clubs themselves benefit as well. I saw first hand the boost Dromid Pearses got when they had a few lads playing with South Kerry. Their own confidence grew, they brought along their club mates, and they got up to Division 2 I think, which was some achievement for a team in Division 5 and going nowhere 10 years before that. Granted Declan O'Sullivan came along, but Declan was helped by his exposure to South Kerry, and the likes of Colm O'Connor, Dennis Shine, Padraig Sheehan etc all benefitted from playing with South Kerry, which helped Dromid as well.

Teams like Portmagee, Bally/Foilmore and the Marys  wouldn't be in a position to be challenging for Senior level without their players having exposure to the divisional structure in my view, and I don't think it's a coincidence that so many of those All Ireland titles at lower club levels have been won in South Kerry. I think 3 out of the 8 clubs have won All Irelands in the past 5 years?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Absolutely AZ, yeah. Of course playing senior c/ship games against the likes of Crokes brings a player on...many players would never see the inside of Fitzgerald stadium or Stack Park if it weren't for the divisional setup.

You know your South Kerry pretty well I see..their c/ship is hotting up down there at the minute..big Waterville v Dromid semi final on the horizon for one.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

sans pessimism

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 13, 2011, 03:08:10 PM
Absolutely AZ, yeah. Of course playing senior c/ship games against the likes of Crokes brings a player on...many players would never see the inside of Fitzgerald stadium or Stack Park if it weren't for the divisional setup.

You know your South Kerry pretty well I see..their c/ship is hotting up down there at the minute..big Waterville v Dromid semi final on the horizon for one.
Who's in the other semi Ciarrai
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

AZOffaly

Quote from: sans pessimism on October 13, 2011, 03:14:28 PM

The Marys are playing Bally/Foilmore in the other semi. That should be a cracker. Ciarrai, my wife is a Renard woman, and her sister is married to Dennis Shine. I've been out in Dromid at matches on and off since Declan Sullivan was about 16. It's fascinating the way he changed his game over the years. Dromid are doing very well this year considering the emmigration. Aidan Shine and others are after catching the aeroplane or boat, and Dromid are still after reaching the Junior final again. Last year they lost to the Marys, and that worked out well for Cahirciveen :)

sans pessimism

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 03:35:22 PM

The Marys are playing Bally/Foilmore in the other semi. That should be a cracker. Ciarrai, my wife is a Renard woman, and her sister is married to Dennis Shine. I've been out in Dromid at matches on and off since Declan Sullivan was about 16. It's fascinating the way he changed his game over the years. Dromid are doing very well this year considering the emmigration. Aidan Shine and others are after catching the aeroplane or boat, and Dromid are still after reaching the Junior final again. Last year they lost to the Marys, and that worked out well for Cahirciveen :)
Cheers AZ,gentleman
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Ah, that explains that! 2 interesting semis there alright, I think Waterville & Bally/Foilmore for the final would be a good shout. Waterville are the best non-senior club side in Kerry this year to me..looking very strong.

Dromid are a great little club, have a good few friends down there and its amazing how far they've come from the days of not being able to field teams...its some hoor of a journey to get there from my end of the county though! They've lost 10 players of their 1st team in the last 2 years I think..and that includes the likes of Aidan O'Sullivan who was a Kerry U-21 centre back and Sigerson winner with CIT..for a small club to lose the likes of him and still be going well speaks to their character...and of course having an absolute gem like Declan helps aswell!

AZOffaly

That's the Aidan Shine I was on about. He's Dennis' brother. Dennis has an All Ireland Junior winners medal too. Declan's brother Dominic is promising too, but he's a full back :D

GAA_Talk

I've got to say that I wish Tyrone would bring this in. The major problem that most counties have is that if a player for a non-senior club is not spotted by the time they are minors than they rarely get a chance to play for the county. A late developer has some chance if he's playing senior football because he can be seen in the Senior championship but a player in junior or intermediate football won't be seen. If you have divisional sides in the senior chanpionship then they can be spotted.  If you look at kerry they have Paul Galvin, Declan O'Sullivan and Bryan Sheehan from non-senior clubs. In fact if you look at the 41 players listed on the senior panel - 22 are from senior clubs, 11 from intermediate and 8 from junior. People wonder why Kerry are strong but are not winning many underage titles. I believe that much of it has to do with the way the senior championship is structured. They find the best footballers in the county no matter what club they are playing for

That south Tyrone combo is as likely to happen as the Yanks handing Alaska back to the Russians Id say! Would be a quality side though if it did happen.

I think (for people who don't get the concept) we are lucky in Kerry in that the groupings for divisions are so natural geographically, most players will have gone to school together in a "hub" town, like Cahirciveen for South Kerry for example..its built into the system from U-14s upwards, so they get familiar with each other plenty before adult level.
I can assure you that its a huge deal for all players and supporters from all parts of a division if they do well, ask Darran O'Sullivan how much he treasures his Co. Medal with Mid-Kerry (which led to him becoming Kerry's winning captain in 2009) and I know Seamus Moynihan for example cites his 3-in-a-row with East Kerry (Glenflesk his club went on to become Senior for a while) as a massive positive influence in his career.
I think in Cork, divisions is necessary due to the sheer size and numbers involved..in Kerry, you could have a c/ship without amalgamations, but by now there is a tradition built up with them and it would dilute the quality of the c/ship massively to get rid of them.
For those interested, the divisions playing in the c/ship and the clubs involved are:

Shannon Rangers (Tarbert, Ballylongford, Asdee, Ballydonoghue, Beale, Ballyduff)
St. Kierans (Desmonds, Scartaglin,Cordal, Brosna, Knocknagoshel, Ballymacelligott, Currow)

I think the Kerry set-up is truly fascinating.

Now would every club in Kerry participate in the divisional championship, or would some clubs not have any representatives on these panels?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: GAA_Talk on October 13, 2011, 05:47:39 PM

Now would every club in Kerry participate in the divisional championship, or would some clubs not have any representatives on these panels?

The County C/ship has the above divisional teams plus the club sides competing in it. There is no "divisions only" c/ship. Basically every club player in Kerry has a chance of competing in the Senior Co. C/ship every year.

There is also a Club only Senior club c/ship.  If a club team don't win the C/ship proper (the one with divisions & clubs) then the winner of the Club c/ship represents Kerry in the Munster & AI club...clear as mud?!

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 05:28:16 PM
That's the Aidan Shine I was on about. He's Dennis' brother. Dennis has an All Ireland Junior winners medal too. Declan's brother Dominic is promising too, but he's a full back :D

Denis Shine is a great club player..if he was a bit bigger he could have played Senior county...did well at Junior level like you say though. Aidan Shine would be skirting the Kerry senior panel if he hadn't left I'd say..

GAA_Talk

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 13, 2011, 07:04:16 PM
Quote from: GAA_Talk on October 13, 2011, 05:47:39 PM

The County C/ship has the above divisional teams plus the club sides competing in it. There is no "divisions only" c/ship. Basically every club player in Kerry has a chance of competing in the Senior Co. C/ship every year.

There is also a Club only Senior club c/ship.  If a club team don't win the C/ship proper (the one with divisions & clubs) then the winner of the Club c/ship represents Kerry in the Munster & AI club...clear as mud?!

Thanks CT. I have read through all the pages of this thread and kind of got my head around it. What I meant with my question was weather all clubs in Kerry entered the County C/ship in be it with their senior team or the divisional set up, which you answered nicely. Appreciate it.

Now what is this with the teams entering divisional leagues? or have i miss-read this somewhere?

Also how often would teams go from being involved with their divisional setup to going it alone in the County C/ship?

AZOffaly

Each division plays it's own championships, and leagues. For example, in South Kerry they run their championship where all 8/9 teams in the division (including those clubs who have opted to go alone in the county championship) compete in a knockout competition. As mentioned above Dromid, Waterville, Bally Foilmore and Saint Mary's are in the South Kerry semi finals. Winning that championship is seen as a huge thing for teams down there.

Interestingly, Bally/Foilmore are not currently playing with South Kerry in the county championship as they are now a senior club in themselves, but they still participate in the South Championship.

Likewise Laune Rangers compete in Mid, Doctor Crokes in East, etc.

That kind of ties into your second question. Clubs that have won their way up to Senior Club level may decide to go their own way, for a time, until they fall back again and join up with the division again. Thus Bally Foilmore found themselves playing AGAINST South Kerry in recent years.

GAA_Talk

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 08:42:05 PM
Each division plays it's own championships, and leagues. For example, in South Kerry they run their championship where all 8/9 teams in the division (including those clubs who have opted to go alone in the county championship) compete in a knockout competition. As mentioned above Dromid, Waterville, Bally Foilmore and Saint Mary's are in the South Kerry semi finals. Winning that championship is seen as a huge thing for teams down there.

Interestingly, Bally/Foilmore are not currently playing with South Kerry in the county championship as they are now a senior club in themselves, but they still participate in the South Championship.

Likewise Laune Rangers compete in Mid, Doctor Crokes in East, etc.

That kind of ties into your second question. Clubs that have won their way up to Senior Club level may decide to go their own way, for a time, until they fall back again and join up with the division again. Thus Bally Foilmore found themselves playing AGAINST South Kerry in recent years.

And after about the fifth time reading it he gets it! Cheers AZ.

Gold

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 13, 2011, 05:12:01 PM

Ah, that explains that! 2 interesting semis there alright, I think Waterville & Bally/Foilmore for the final would be a good shout. Waterville are the best non-senior club side in Kerry this year to me..looking very strong.
Dromid are a great little club, have a good few friends down there and its amazing how far they've come from the days of not being able to field teams...its some hoor of a journey to get there from my end of the county though! They've lost 10 players of their 1st team in the last 2 years I think..and that includes the likes of Aidan O'Sullivan who was a Kerry U-21 centre back and Sigerson winner with CIT..for a small club to lose the likes of him and still be going well speaks to their character...and of course having an absolute gem like Declan helps aswell!

Is Paddy Curran playing any football>?

Looked unreal at minor a few years back.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Gold on October 13, 2011, 10:36:04 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 13, 2011, 05:12:01 PM

Is Paddy Curran playing any football>?

Looked unreal at minor a few years back.

Joined Bishopstown in Cork this year. Has done the cruciate in both knees and never fulfilled the promise of minor level sadly. His 8 points in the minor final of 2006 was an unreal performance...got a cracked jaw and played the replay 6 days later but was ineffective.