MARTIN CLARKE SIGNS FOR COLLINGWOOD

Started by banker, October 10, 2011, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Quote from: seanaglis on October 11, 2011, 08:03:43 PM
One word springs to mind when describing Martin Clarke - Wingmirrors.

He never wanted to know when players like McKeever or Noel O'Leary were marking him.

Had a decent 1st season back with Down, but was anonomous last year

Yeah, Im sure the young people today who go to the top games really look forward to seeing meatheads like O Leary and Mc Keever strutting their silky skills for all to admire  ::)

infinity

"Yeah, Im sure the young people today who go to the top games really look forward to seeing meatheads like O Leary and Mc Keever strutting their silky skills for all to admire"...

A huge disservice to two top defenders!...And yes as a matter of fact there are as many kids who view O Leary and McKeever as their idols as Clarke.

"one word springs to mind when describing Martin Clarke - Wingmirrors.

He never wanted to know when players like McKeever or Noel O'Leary were marking him."

Cant agree with this sentiment at all...Granted O'Leary did a fine man-marking job on him in All-Ireland final 2010 this can in no way be attributed to a lack of bravery on Clarke's behalf. With regards to his tussles with McKeever (which have always been the highlight of the Down-Armagh games in the last two years), I would contend that he came out on top overall without dominating as he did in other games.

On another note I am looking forward to Jamie O Reilly's return to county colours. Plays much more of a ball-winning, ball carrying role than the play-making role Clarke excelled at but a welcome addition to the squad.

J OGorman

He never wanted to know when players like McKeever or Noel O'Leary were marking him.

wow, such a pile of manure in one post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pl-lrr-76M   and he got up and played on, tough bassa

GAA_Talk

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 11, 2011, 09:58:55 PM

Good man seanaglis...you know as much about football as David Norris knows about ridin supermodels.

;D

trileacman

Quote from: J OGorman on October 12, 2011, 05:06:35 PM

wow, such a pile of manure in one post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pl-lrr-76M   and he got up and played on, tough bassa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=e9H-YZYRPas

Love this one.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

imtommygunn

Clarke wasn't an overly physical player but he never shirked away from it from what I saw. He's one of those guys who a lot would say is overrated however I would say, unfortunately for Down, he's one of those guys that you won't know what he's worth till he's gone. Down will be a lot worse off without him.

Hopefully Jamie O'Reilly has used the couple of years there well for athleticism/ strength etc and will be a valuable asset to Down.

O'Leary just didn't let him breathe and did a very good job on Clarke. However he would also have been starved from lack of possession in midfield that day. I never saw any of those down-armagh games but if what was read was to be believed McKeever should have been arrested for his tackles so I'm not sure it's a fair assessment of him based on that duel!

Dubh driocht

ITG, To be fair to Mc Keever ( and I rarely am) he was doing his job and the 'infamous' rib attack when the Physio was on was more like pantomine baddie stuff. As infinity said , the duels between the two lads over the last 2 years (think there were 4 in total- not sure if they came up against each other in Mc Kenna cup) were good value with Marty just about coming out on top- not many could say that about 4 duels with Mc Keever.
You are absolutely right that the value Marty brought will only be truly appreciated next season and that the midfield wipe-out deprived him of his normal platform in the 2010 final. It's a pity that the begrudgers in Down and wider afield can be happy when the GAA has lost such a talent.Good luck to him and Mooney at Collingwood.

HeaveHo

Tommy Walsh has been traded to Sydney for draft picks. St Kilda's new coach wanted to keep him but Tommy wanted to go. I think Tommy has made the right decision - he is more likely to get a game at Sydney as they need some talls down back following some recent retirements.

Aerlik

As a Freo member and having been based in Perth since I came here 11 years ago, I cannot comment on the "dislike" of the pies because of the Irish connection.  I've never heard of it.  What I do know is that the club president Eddie McGuire is one of the most despised people on TV.   Channel Eddie is used to describe Channel 9, cos he was always on!  He used to commentate Collingwood games so as you might imagine, it was unbiased - not.
Pies fans in the west are unbelievable feral.  They put the Hill 16 fans to shame. :P
In Perth, there is huge Irish support for Fremantle, probably because we are scunnered listening to how fantastic West Coke E-gulpers are.
Zac Tuohy is making great strides for Carlton.  The lad has legs like tree trunks.  Reminds me of Dermot McNicholl at that age.  McKeever was pretty average when I saw him play here.  Setanta is a law unto himself.  Predictable for his unpredictability.

Never saw Clarke play here so I cannot comment.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Applesisapples

Quote from: redandblackareback on October 12, 2011, 02:41:08 PM

Yeah, Im sure the young people today who go to the top games really look forward to seeing meatheads like O Leary and Mc Keever strutting their silky skills for all to admire  ::)
Typical anti Armagh shi*t. Whilst Kieran McKeever is certainly no angel he is by no means as bad as his reputation. He leads from the front and Clarke talented as he no doubt is lacks the consistency and passion that encompasses all McKeever does.

Orchardman

Clarke was alright, decent first season. Far too much media coverage where he never said anything exciting, apart from cry about the state of the pitch in castlebar. It was at that time i though "well go f off back to oz". I'm sure he played on loads of shite pitches in down.

He'l be a loss to down, too the rest of the gaa he'l be fotgotten about come next year's league. But good luck to him anyway, i lived in oz and if i was offered any big job back there i'd jump at it

I see he said he went to st marys for a month and couldn't be bothered with deadlines, having to be at lectures at certain times etc, and he could'nt get used to this. Is the life of a professional footballer not all about strictly controlled regime's??

did he ever play ball for st marys?

here comes 6

Quote from: Orchardman on October 17, 2011, 10:31:40 PM
Clarke was alright, decent first season. Far too much media coverage where he never said anything exciting, apart from cry about the state of the pitch in castlebar. It was at that time i though "well go f off back to oz". I'm sure he played on loads of shite pitches in down.

He'l be a loss to down, too the rest of the gaa he'l be fotgotten about come next year's league. But good luck to him anyway, i lived in oz and if i was offered any big job back there i'd jump at it

I see he said he went to st marys for a month and couldn't be bothered with deadlines, having to be at lectures at certain times etc, and he could'nt get used to this. Is the life of a professional footballer not all about strictly controlled regime's??

I think that anyone commenting on the pitch in castlebar without being their wont in any way have a clue about the state of the pitch that night. (It was a disgrace)  What Marty said was 100% on the mark and because he spoke the truth he got lambasted and was called names like "a spoilt brat".  People just couldnt wait till get shooting him down because he was making the choice of getting paid to do something we would all love to be doing.  Grow up

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: here comes 6 on October 17, 2011, 10:44:09 PM
Quote from: Orchardman on October 17, 2011, 10:31:40 PM

I think that anyone commenting on the pitch in castlebar without being their wont in any way have a clue about the state of the pitch that night. (It was a disgrace)  What Marty said was 100% on the mark and because he spoke the truth he got lambasted and was called names like "a spoilt brat".  People just couldnt wait till get shooting him down because he was making the choice of getting paid to do something we would all love to be doing.  Grow up

On a personal note, it must be somehwat disappointing for yourself given that his departure means that your silly username is unlikely to have its wish fulfilled in the near future.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Orchardman

wise up 6 sams, look at what i said in my post and you'l see i said good luck to him and that he's just right to go to oz with the chance he has!

So castlebar had a bad pitch in february after a terrible irish winter, big deal. Not everyone can have a deadly pitch like our new one in armagh, it's in some shape!

HeaveHo

Quote from: Aerlik on October 17, 2011, 07:59:08 AM
As a Freo member and having been based in Perth since I came here 11 years ago, I cannot comment on the "dislike" of the pies because of the Irish connection.  I've never heard of it.  What I do know is that the club president Eddie McGuire is one of the most despised people on TV.   Channel Eddie is used to describe Channel 9, cos he was always on!  He used to commentate Collingwood games so as you might imagine, it was unbiased - not.
Pies fans in the west are unbelievable feral.  They put the Hill 16 fans to shame. :P
In Perth, there is huge Irish support for Fremantle, probably because we are scunnered listening to how fantastic West Coke E-gulpers are.
Zac Tuohy is making great strides for Carlton.  The lad has legs like tree trunks.  Reminds me of Dermot McNicholl at that age.  McKeever was pretty average when I saw him play here.  Setanta is a law unto himself.  Predictable for his unpredictability.

Never saw Clarke play here so I cannot comment.

Hopefully we improve under Ross Lyon Aerlik - I am not sure what else we can do. The improvement shown up at the road at the Canaries should be possible with most of our team on the park.

How did the young bloke go this year at Auskick?