MARTIN CLARKE SIGNS FOR COLLINGWOOD

Started by banker, October 10, 2011, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheedy

thats now 3 top player down have lost to aussie rules. as well as martin clarke, jamie o'reilly and caolan mooney are plying their trade down under. all 3 are a massive loss to down football and with peter fitzpatrick set to head down under for work reasons the down team are set to be the poorer for their departure. best of luck to them all, hope they and down can prosper next year.
nil satis nisi optimum

gallsman

Is Caolan Mooney the young lad who came on against Cork this year?

Sheedy

Quote from: gallsman on October 10, 2011, 06:56:58 PM
Is Caolan Mooney the young lad who came on against Cork this year?
yeah thats him. big loss to down. brilliant underage talent.
nil satis nisi optimum

here comes 6

Marty Clarke will always be loved for what he has done for Down football.  Just a pity Marty couldnt help Benny win Sam. Good luck Marty and your Welcome back anytime

All of a Sludden

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

HeaveHo

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on October 10, 2011, 01:43:47 PM
What do the australian spectators make of Clarke? I know irish people see how good he is but in terms of oz people will they jump out of there chair at the news of him signing again or will it just be yeah good to have him back he's a good player?

Aussie view:

I don't think he would be in the best 22 at Collingwood but he would be in their best 30 and I suspect will get to play 8-12 games in 2012 (out of a possible 22). Collingwood probably has the best and deepest list so I was surprised he would want to go back there as I think he packed in it because he wasn't getting a regular game in the top side when he left a couple of years ago. Clarke would be a first team regular in 12-15 AFL clubs (out of a possible 18). The lad has elite aerobic capacity, good pace, reasonable foot and hand skills. His reading of the game is probably is his only weakness.

Of the Irish lads playing at the moment Pearce Hanley is the best now that Kennelly has retired. Hanley has blistering pace and excellent skills especially by foot. His reading of the game has improved sharply and is not shy when it comes to heavy contact. Tuohey is also a massive improver and would be around Clarke's level when he left. Setanta is a different sort of player to the aforementioned and is bit of a battler. When Carlton have all their best talls in he misses out. Haven't seen Quinn all year. The lad at Richmond is making good strides. McKeever is raw but has massive potential and the coach likes him. Walsh should be playing in the top side and should give some thought to changing clubs if the new St Kiilda coach doesn't give him a go in the top side.   

infinity

"Fair play to him to make the most of his talent and earn a few pound from it, there was never a future for him in Ireland when he didn't go on to third level education to gain a degree or teaching qualification that he will need when the AFL has finished with him."

This is funny...

Ripe old age of 23...9a's at GCSE, 3a's at A-Level...The fella was doomed!!...

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Canalman

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 10, 2011, 06:25:36 PM
Don't like Collingwood.

You would be the exception rather than the norm there as an Irishman. Collingwood are well known as the "Irish" and by extension the Catholic team in Melbourne. Hence their massive support and the massive dislike of them by others in the AFL.

Attitudes no doubt have mellowed over the years, but the Magpies (and Richmond to a lesser degree) are still by and large the team followed by the "Irish" in Melbourne.

seanaglis

One word springs to mind when describing Martin Clarke - Wingmirrors.

He never wanted to know when players like McKeever or Noel O'Leary were marking him.

Had a decent 1st season back with Down, but was anonomous last year

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Canalman on October 11, 2011, 12:51:57 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 10, 2011, 06:25:36 PM
Don't like Collingwood.

You would be the exception rather than the norm there as an Irishman. Collingwood are well known as the "Irish" and by extension the Catholic team in Melbourne. Hence their massive support and the massive dislike of them by others in the AFL.

Attitudes no doubt have mellowed over the years, but the Magpies (and Richmond to a lesser degree) are still by and large the team followed by the "Irish" in Melbourne.

Maybe of the older Irish in the city, but I supported Hawthorns when I was over there and quite a few of my friends support St.Kilda or Geelong, and a few of the Sydney based lads the Swans. I have to admit some Irish I stayed with for a while who are of a generation or two settled Irish where Richmond fans. I was really turned off Collingwood after I attended one of their matches V West Coast Eagles. West Coast got thumped yet the jeering and mocking from the Magpie fans was disgusting in my opinion. Did not know that about them being the Catholic team, but even if I did it would not have been a reason for me choosing a team. I did know they were hated, I may have picked up on some of that from my Aussie mates and Irish who supported other clubs.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

5 Sams

Quote from: seanaglis on October 11, 2011, 08:03:43 PM
One word springs to mind when describing Martin Clarke - Wingmirrors.

He never wanted to know when players like McKeever or Noel O'Leary were marking him.

Good man seanaglis...you know as much about football as David Norris knows about ridin supermodels.
The Aristocrat Years

NP 76

one word springs to mind when describing Martin Clarke - Wingmirrors.

You would stay away from Mc Keever if he tried to brake your ribs and then tried again when the physio was treating you

Leo

A bit of perspective lads.
While he didn't light up gaelic football in 2011 the way he did in 2010 he was still one of Down's most potent players.

Ther are so many An Riocht boys out in Aussie right now he will be in a comfort zone socially but probably just an occasional player with Collingwood.

Clarke, Mooney, O'Reilly could have been the backbone of a fututre Down team and now Fitzpatrick is gone too, as well as young McCartan to soccer - Down people can console themselves that they produce good footballers that are coveted elsewher. The answer to this is
(1) to keep the production line going and use the GAA network to get them decent jobs at home and
(2) produce a few dogged defenders at the same time to put some steel into our county teams.
Fierce tame altogether

banker

Jamie O'Reilly has now arrived home. Has made himself available to James McCartan. He is back home to complete his university degree. Great news for Down.