Dublin Transfer Scene

Started by DownFanatic, October 05, 2011, 11:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Family guy

What all players have parnells got from other clubs??

The Aristocrat

Colm Parkinson transferred back to Portlaoise but Colm Begley, MJ Tierney and Darren Rooney are there as is Johny Murtagh and Wexford star Aindreas Doyle. Now Mortimer, will make 7 inter county transfers in 3 years, wonder why they are all going to Parnells over other clubs is all im saying on the matter  ;)

Hound

I'm sure there are plenty of Parnells members hanging their heads in embarrassment and shame at offering "incentives" to these lads to join, thus making it harder for their homegrown players to make the breakthrough.

Johnny Magee has had a bit to say on Twitter on the subject, calling Parnells the Man City of Dublin GAA. Not that Kilmacud are whiter than white!

I don't put any blame on the individual players though.

Given there are unscrupluous clubs out there, it might be time for the DCB to do something. Perhaps a quota of non-Dublin intercounty players that can play with any club. 2 per senior team, but once a player is with a club for more than 5 years he no longer counts in the quota.

EagleLord

Simple idea there, and might work well. Similar to the rules American clubs have in the summer, only allowed X amount of Irish players arent they?

muppet

Quote from: Hound on October 07, 2011, 01:22:53 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of Parnells members hanging their heads in embarrassment and shame at offering "incentives" to these lads to join, thus making it harder for their homegrown players to make the breakthrough.

Johnny Magee has had a bit to say on Twitter on the subject, calling Parnells the Man City of Dublin GAA. Not that Kilmacud are whiter than white!

Given there are unscrupluous clubs out there, it might be time for the DCB to do something. Perhaps a quota of non-Dublin intercounty players that can play with any club. 2 per senior team, but once a player is with a club for more than 5 years he no longer counts in the quota.

Players have to make a living and Dublin is the biggest employer by a long way. If it is going to happen anywhere it will happen in Dublin. If you put it another way, if (say) Conor Mort wants to play for a club in Dublin should his first choice say no, in the knowledge that his second choice will probably say yes?
MWWSI 2017

isourboydownyet

is he on the wind up?what a hypocrite

Gael85

Wexford midfielder Ruari Quinlavin signed for Parnells earlier this year,they also have Paul Bealin son Jonathan who was a Wexford minor.Billy O'Loughlin from Laois played with them last year but transferred back to his own club,With all these players coming in basically Parnells old senior has been regraded to play Junior Football,they have walked division 6&7 in last 2 years

Gael85

Even Sylvesters have brought loads out outsiders,Darren Clarke,Jamie Carr(Louth),Diarmuid Kinsella,Shane Roche(Wexford),Ray Cullivan(Cavan),Robert Wallace,David Glennon(Westmeath),Nigel Dunne(Offaly) have played for them at some stage over the last 3 years.When Crokes won All Ireland Club they had Brian Kavanagh(Longford),Adrian Morrisey(Wexford),Liam McBarron(Fermanagh),St Vincents won the year before with Micheal O'Se(Kerry),Brian Maloney,Pat Kelly(Mayo),Hugh Coughlan(Tipperary)

CountyGK

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 06, 2011, 02:46:23 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 06, 2011, 02:44:13 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 06, 2011, 12:11:13 PM
That could be related to the scheme in hurling where players are allowed play with 'weaker' counties up to a limit. Example is that Smith lad playing for Westmeath, from Portumna, and a couple of Tipperary lads playing for Dublin :D (Only kidding).

I'm not sure if Down would be sufficiently far ahead of Armagh (some of last year's results would suggest not) to merit this, but it's all I can think of. As far as I'm aware you are only entitled to play for your home county, or the county your club is in. I know there is a parentage rule as well for Dublin lads with Culchie connections, like James Coughlan in Offaly and Declan Darcy in Leitrim.

Armagh beat Down last year, but I doubt its anything to do with that scheme as they are both of a similar level.  Sligo had a few players from stronger counties and doesn't Diarmuid Connollys brother player with Leitrim.

Maybe not, but it must be something like that. I don't think you can 'transfer' county, without moving to a club in that county, barring it's one of those scenarios above. Of course maybe he transferred clubs, and county at the same time, and then transferred back to his home club afterwards, but stayed with Armagh. Is that legal?

The player in question lives in Armagh

The Aristocrat

Quote from: muppet on October 07, 2011, 01:31:20 PM

Players have to make a living and Dublin is the biggest employer by a long way. If it is going to happen anywhere it will happen in Dublin. If you put it another way, if (say) Conor Mort wants to play for a club in Dublin should his first choice say no, in the knowledge that his second choice will probably say yes?

This player did try other clubs first, looking for " Incentives" .  He was laughed out the door by most of them. Only Parnells could take him.

John79

Whatever happened to loyalty to your own club that (most) are born into? I understand the jibber jabber about jobs etc and Dublin is the best spot for people to get jobs but I firmly believe that a wee bit of loyalty to home clubs should be shown.

sans pessimism

Quote from: John79 on October 09, 2011, 01:05:56 AM
Whatever happened to loyalty to your own club that (most) are born into? I understand the jibber jabber about jobs etc and Dublin is the best spot for people to get jobs but I firmly believe that a wee bit of loyalty to home clubs should be shown.
agree
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

magpie seanie

This has been going on for years in Dublin. Of the clubs not mentioned already Na Fianna were notorious also, a certain CEO with a recruitment stall in a well known city centre hostelry I'm told. Vincents didn't take in outsiders for a long time and got sick of not winning and changed their rule.

It's like everything in the GAA - if you have the right connections you can pretty much get away with anything. Otherwise you get shit on from a great height which then gets put down to bad luck.