Dublin Transfer Scene

Started by DownFanatic, October 05, 2011, 11:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=156069

Mortimor's transfer to Parnells is imminent. Seems that they have employment for him too.

Is it becoming increasingly common now for footballers from across the island to transfer to Dublin clubs?

The Aristocrat

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 05, 2011, 11:28:27 PM

Mortimor's transfer to Parnells is imminent. Seems that they have employment for him too.

Is it becoming increasingly common now for footballers from across the island to transfer to Dublin clubs?

Clubs do it in Dublin, but no one club in Dublin has brought in 7 inter County players ( Including scruff Parkinson) in 3 years because they have dollar. Parnells have done this.

Now there is pros and cons to be fair, lads need to work etc, move to Dublin and play club football while they can travel back to Laois and train with the county team, why cant they go back and train and play with their club teams too, sure its only an hour up the road some parts of it. Wonder why they are all going to Parnells?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 06, 2011, 12:13:17 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on October 05, 2011, 11:28:27 PM

Clubs do it in Dublin, but no one club in Dublin has brought in 7 inter County players ( Including scruff Parkinson) in 3 years because they have dollar. Parnells have done this.

Now there is pros and cons to be fair, lads need to work etc, move to Dublin and play club football while they can travel back to Laois and train with the county team, why cant they go back and train and play with their club teams too, sure its only an hour up the road some parts of it. Wonder why they are all going to Parnells?

Getting travel expenses for playing with the county would be a major factor here. Many lads train with clubs in Dublin during the week and would travel home for matches.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

emmetryan

Beat me to it, the expense is definitely the main issue for a lot of lads.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

lynchbhoy

leaving work early to get home to train is also not as easy as it once was.
Employers no longer turn a blind eye to heading out the door at 4.30 pm to make it home in time for training - lets face it, quite often you wont get out of Dublin or travel past 30 miles down the country inside of 2 hours a lot of the time if you leave at 5.30.
thats whether you have yer own car parked in your workplace or if you get public transport.

Players have a pain in their erses doing this routine at least twice a week. You wont get back in much before midnight - if you dont have a car or get a lift.

a lot of country lads will get a few incentives to join a Dublin club - not always money, but maybe help with a job etc. Thats a big thing these days.

Its being going on in Dublin for 20 years that I know of. Maybe before then too.

Canalman

Parnells very much the exception imo. Our club have lost 20 plus players( to London mainly) in the last 2 seasons or so to the extent that we have lost adult teams. More to go shortly I believe.
Anyone who thinks that Dublin GAA clubs are in a position to offer jobs/ enticements to lads from the country when many of Dublin GAA people can't find their own children jobs is in cuckooland imo.

As for Parnells, as clubs in the city go, I would have the least respect for them (except for their hurling people and Cluxton.) Their hurlers are sound people.

nrico2006

Slightly off topic, but there has been a few cases recently where players are transferring clubs and still playing for their original clubs, which would make you wonder why?  There is a fella from Down playing for the Armagh Hurling team yet still plays with his club in Down, which is strange.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

That could be related to the scheme in hurling where players are allowed play with 'weaker' counties up to a limit. Example is that Smith lad playing for Westmeath, from Portumna, and a couple of Tipperary lads playing for Dublin :D (Only kidding).

I'm not sure if Down would be sufficiently far ahead of Armagh (some of last year's results would suggest not) to merit this, but it's all I can think of. As far as I'm aware you are only entitled to play for your home county, or the county your club is in. I know there is a parentage rule as well for Dublin lads with Culchie connections, like James Coughlan in Offaly and Declan Darcy in Leitrim.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 06, 2011, 12:11:13 PM
That could be related to the scheme in hurling where players are allowed play with 'weaker' counties up to a limit. Example is that Smith lad playing for Westmeath, from Portumna, and a couple of Tipperary lads playing for Dublin :D (Only kidding).

I'm not sure if Down would be sufficiently far ahead of Armagh (some of last year's results would suggest not) to merit this, but it's all I can think of. As far as I'm aware you are only entitled to play for your home county, or the county your club is in. I know there is a parentage rule as well for Dublin lads with Culchie connections, like James Coughlan in Offaly and Declan Darcy in Leitrim.

John no?

Also Shane Cooke and one of the Brennans with Laois

Donnacha Corcoran with Longford

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on October 06, 2011, 12:23:14 PM

John no?

Also Shane Cooke and one of the Brennans with Laois

Donnacha Corcoran with Longford

Correct, John. James, or Jimmy 'The Paw' Coughlan plays with Doon in Offaly. Mea Culpa.

nrico2006

Armagh beat Down last year, but I doubt its anything to do with that scheme as they are both of a similar level.  Sligo had a few players from stronger counties and doesn't Diarmuid Connollys brother player with Leitrim.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 06, 2011, 02:44:13 PM

Armagh beat Down last year, but I doubt its anything to do with that scheme as they are both of a similar level.  Sligo had a few players from stronger counties and doesn't Diarmuid Connollys brother player with Leitrim.

Maybe not, but it must be something like that. I don't think you can 'transfer' county, without moving to a club in that county, barring it's one of those scenarios above. Of course maybe he transferred clubs, and county at the same time, and then transferred back to his home club afterwards, but stayed with Armagh. Is that legal?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Canalman on October 06, 2011, 10:38:56 AM
Parnells very much the exception imo. Our club have lost 20 plus players( to London mainly) in the last 2 seasons or so to the extent that we have lost adult teams. More to go shortly I believe.
Anyone who thinks that Dublin GAA clubs are in a position to offer jobs/ enticements to lads from the country when many of Dublin GAA people can't find their own children jobs is in cuckooland imo.

As for Parnells, as clubs in the city go, I would have the least respect for them (except for their hurling people and Cluxton.) Their hurlers are sound people.
well it used tohappen.
By the same token, if there was a job going and the club could get one of their own lads in or a senior player from down the country to join up and give them the job - well theres a fair few unscrupulous clubs out there that would opt for the latter.
yer in cuckoo land yerself if you think any different !
it boils down to the club though !

Canalman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 06, 2011, 02:46:55 PM
Quote from: Canalman on October 06, 2011, 10:38:56 AM

well it used tohappen.
By the same token, if there was a job going and the club could get one of their own lads in or a senior player from down the country to join up and give them the job - well theres a fair few unscrupulous clubs out there that would opt for the latter.
yer in cuckoo land yerself if you think any different !
it boils down to the club though !

We'll agree to disagree so.

Hill16 Blues

Think this is a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed. Think in particular Parnells are a disgrace! What does this say to those playing on minor and U21 teams there - basically piss off you're not wanted here! DCB has to do something as situation is getting worse as each season goes by.

This is bad news for Dublin GAA and needs to be dealt with.